Being mobile & snow

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justnailart

Reaction score
Just a random thought. This is my first year doing nails part time & I am mobile. We are forecast snow this week & was just wondering what all you mobile geeks do when it snows! I am a total wuss when it comes to driving in snow! What precautions do you take? Have you ever had to cancel? Any tips or advice would be great. My hubby doesn't want me out in bad weather but I would hate to let people down! Obviously if it was really bad I would stay home but just interested in hearing your experiences! :)

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using SalonGeek

I was mobile for 3 years and the first year I did it it snowed at Xmas so I called every1 and explained I wasn't confident in driving in those conditions in my new car so all my appointments would b from home. The men in our street managed to get out but I didn't wanna risk it, there was cars abandoned every where and it was really really bad. So every 1 completely understood. 1 tip tho! Text all yr. clients on the day of their appointments to remind them they are at yrs and also asks them to take off their shoes!! My carpets were ruined!! X x x

That's just what I've got visions of! Lol! Our street is a nightmare to get off as it is a hill on both sides & doesn't get gritted. Working from home is a good idea but I'm pretty sure I'm not insured for that & I don't have a home salon. I will give them a call & check. Great tip about the carpet, ours is cream! xx

I'm with salon gold and I was covered for it. I think it's only if u get shop premises that u have to change it but I defo recommend u to double check! Most insures are ok, my new salon 1 ive just taken out insures me up to 4% of my income to be mobile so I think that u should b fine doing 1 week from home. If they don't then maby u should consider swapping insurance. I cut my foot open and couldn't drive for 5 weeks so had to work from home and they were fine about that too. X x x

Thanks, I'm with Salon Gold too, so maybe I am! Will still check though. xx

Dont forget if you cant get out, they cant get in. ;)

Review on a day by day basis & keep your customers upto speed & be flexible with rebooking

I've only had really bad snow once and i'm quite a confident driver so i went ahead and worked, really shouldn't have though, it was one of those days which everything was pointing me to cancel but i didn't want to because i hate letting people down and it was awful, it snowed, my coke can exploded in my van and left cokey slush EVERYWHERE, my only set of keys got locked in my van without me in it! i hit a lamp post on the way, i forgot my acetone.... i'm scarred for life now so if it snows badly i will be canceling! :lol:

Dont forget if you cant get out, they cant get in. ;)

Review on a day by day basis & keep your customers upto speed & be flexible with rebooking

Haha! Yeah, I sort of thought about that but figured most of my clients live a walk away and I'm just off the main road which is always gritted & loads of space to park & walk!

I've only had really bad snow once and i'm quite a confident driver so i went ahead and worked, really shouldn't have though, it was one of those days which everything was pointing me to cancel but i didn't want to because i hate letting people down and it was awful, it snowed, my coke can exploded in my van and left cokey slush EVERYWHERE, my only set of keys got locked in my van without me in it! i hit a lamp post on the way, i forgot my acetone.... i'm scarred for life now so if it snows badly i will be canceling! :lol:

Oh, my! Nightmare day! Lol! xx

I'm mobile and if we get the bad snow then I will text clients and ask to reschedule their appointment for another time. It's not worth the risk trying to drive and I'm sure they would all understand x

I'm a confident driver so I always make it to my appmts considering their houses are easy to get to, ie..not up a steep hill. But I always get a lot of tips for actually making it there in spite of the weather conditions :) so I do it. But if you're not confident driving in the snow, don't do it, it's not worth the risk xx

Make sure you take coats and blankets out with you.My husband used to be on traffic and was always rescuing ladies in the winter who had broken down and were only wearing their indoor clothes,they could then be waiting an hour or more for breakdown and be freezeing.We all have blankets in our cars in the winter.Also some wellies if it looks likely to snow you never know when you may have to walk.

Make sure you take coats and blankets out with you.My husband used to be on traffic and was always rescuing ladies in the winter who had broken down and were only wearing their indoor clothes,they could then be waiting an hour or more for breakdown and be freezeing.We all have blankets in our cars in the winter.Also some wellies if it looks likely to snow you never know when you may have to walk.

Also put a flask of a hot drink and keep some chocolate in your car at least then if you should get stuck or you have to walk any distance then at least you have a warm drink and some energy to keep you going. We don't often get really bad snow which means we are totally stuck inside our own houses, if it is like that then your clients will understand as they too are stuck. Most roads are cleared fairly quickly after snow fall so you should find you have to much of a problem you just have to be very careful and take your time. I'm sure a client won't mind you being a bit late if it means you get there in one piece.
In all though I would say if it's too unsafe for you to get out then don't! Our emergency services are put under enough stress in adverse weather condition with out having to deal with people go out when it's far safer to stay in. Again I'm sure your clients will understand that you can't predict the weather and they will re arrange with you.
Good luck and stay safe xx

I live fairly high up so getting out for me is easy getting home is a whole other ball game though, people in bad areas understand anyway... Just call and say your not confident driving in these conditions, I'm good in the snow and don't see a problem, I've driven rear wheel drive cares for the last 4 years and they are the worst in the snow, my KA was awesome in the snow! My cars since have always got stuck everywhere they've been stood still for 5 mins, I wince thought I was gonna have to stop over a ladies house lol.

But once I did call my lady, she doesn't drive and wasn't that understanding, so I offered to do her hair at mine if she could get to me, her husband refused to drive in the weather so she wasn't happy but at the same time couldn't argue, she wouldn't have got to me I'm that high up, I even said it not getting to her it's getting home I'm worried about as its all uphill.

Be honest and open and they'll be fine :)

I don't know if this will throw some cats among pigeons but if you aren't confident driving in different conditions should you be mobile? My taxi driver the other day told me how he wouldn't drive in any snow to which I had to comment that he clearly shouldn't be a driver then.
I understand some cars just can't make snow, or hills in snow but I'm half way up a mountain where when it snows we can get over 2 foot easily, somehow I still see cars and bus's about.
There are also new LEGAL, yes legal, versions of snow chains to be used in the UK out now.
But think of Canada, their snow is much worse than here but the country doesn't shut down ever.

And can I also point out, u, yr and cos aren't in the dictionary so have no place on here xoxo

I completely agree with the last comment so when I say this pleassseeee don't take offence, but I was mobile for 3 years coz I couldn't afford to set up a shop. And I am a pro at nails NOT driving in ****e conditions so I wasn't prepared to crash my car for the sake of a £20 infill but my clients were happy to spend £4 on a taxi to me. If a client wants their nails done they will adapt and if you are professional and do a great job on their nails all year round then I'm sure they will be happy to respect your decision . I think u have to do what u feel happy and comfortable doing and stay as professional as possible :) x x x

You. Not u. As Tomme said, please don't use text speak, it's against forum rules.

One year did I have to cancel appointments for two days due to snow. The schools had shut down, hubby's work had shut down, our whole road was basically shut, no one could get in or out of it. All my clients were very understanding when I rang them to re-schedule. One client I walked to with all my pedi gear and slipped on my bottom and hurt myself (only bruising) but I was soaked and in pain. Not a great way to start a treatment!

Sorry if I offended you by using "u" I'm dyslexic and am so used to riting slag while my thumbs are going ten to the dozen righting this on my phone. So please accept this as my apologises if I miss-spell or use text slang in future. Like I said I don't mean to offend any one x

Sorry if I offended you by using "u" I'm dyslexic and am so used to riting slag while my thumbs are going ten to the dozen righting this on my phone. So please accept this as my apologises if I miss-spell or use text slang in future. Like I said I don't mean to offend any one x

Spelling mistakes are something we all understand, its the text speak that are what people like myself can't stand (and I'm only young).
Xoxo

Spelling mistakes are something we all understand, its the text speak that are what people like myself can't stand (and I'm only young).
Xoxo

I don't mine u ,ur,, 2 etc its just abreviations and we all know what they are saying so does it really matter? Can't stand full on slang though :(

Latest posts

Back