Best gel for spikey hair - please help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADiva1

Reaction score
Hey all

I quite fancy the spikey look at the mo.

Can anyone recommend any gels or anything else that will spike me up but wont make my hair go rock hard!!!

I read somewhere that Toni & Guy's funky gum is cool but never tried it...!

Thanks! XX

I think wax is better for spikes as that doesnt go hard...xxx

When i went short last year i could live without Toni and Guys bed head wax stick. it's great, you can either rub it through your hair or get a bit out with your finger (you may need to warm it a bit with the hairdryer 1st as it's like rock - especially as it gets colder outside), rub your hands togther and rub it through your hair. You can then twist spike - whatever you want to do with it and because it's a wax it's doesn't go hard so you can remold all day.

i think it's about £13 - but last forever.

HTH??

Shockwaves works well, my son uses it all the time... :)

NailStyle said:

Think you're right Angie! Thanks!

My boyfriend loves Garnier's Hard Gel Glue

hi hun, i had spikey hair a while back but have decided to grow it out now. I have very thick hair and found the only thing that could keep it spikey was wella's crackle wax- it's so good, you squirt it out of the top and then as you rub it between your fingers it crackles like mad! x

I use Brylcream Reshaper gum strong hold, it works so well, keeps me hair spiky but not hard!

HTH

Derry

I have spikey hair at the moment and use Dax Wax which is superb. You don't need much and you need to rub it well between your hands before applying but my style lasts all day . I think you can get it from Sally's Hair and Beauty.

chrisbow said:
I have spikey hair at the moment and use Dax Wax which is superb. You don't need much and you need to rub it well between your hands before applying but my style lasts all day . I think you can get it from Sally's Hair and Beauty.

Got this one, makes my hair go floppy, strangely enough!

You are right on the Toni and Guy funky gum, it has great hold but you can still manipulate your hair where you want it to go, it doesnt go hard, it lifts at the root and is non-sticky, is great for defining seperate strands and washes out easily, I used it all the time when my hair was short before, i had it cut shortish again yesterday (after growing it out for a year!!) and the first thing i went out and bought today was my funky gum!! great stuff. £6.99 a tin from Boots but its on a 3 for 2 so stock up!!!

OOh forgot to say about the funky Gum use a little rub btween your hands untill it warms up then put it on your hair, little is more with this stuff, build up slowly with it.

NailStyle said:

Angie is so right, you definately need wax or a freeze gel that gives an high performance which hold without stickiness. Nyxon Freeze gel or Kera Care Curling Wax. I love all the poducts from Kera Care so gorgeous.

J

ADiva1 said:
Hey all

I quite fancy the spikey look at the mo.

Can anyone recommend any gels or anything else that will spike me up but wont make my hair go rock hard!!!

I read somewhere that Toni & Guy's funky gum is cool but never tried it...!

Thanks! XX

Hi

i work in a hairdressers full time on reception and one of our absolute best sellers is shaper by fudge the rest of the range aint so great but this is excellent for what you want to do! its a wax not a gel so it doesnt give you that rock hard look which is not goood! its water soluable to so washes out when you wash your hair no product build up, normally retails at about £10 for a jar but lasts for donkeys highly recommended!

I used to use TEKnique MUD WAX when my hair was shorter and it is great as it doesnt go rock hard but seems to keep it spiky, washes out easily and a little goes a long way, Ive tried no end of hair products and for me this was the best. Not sure where stocks it except Sallys wholesalers.

Good old Pluko Black and White hair wax... smells gorgeous too...

it depends on what sort of hold you are looking for and the lenght of your hair i would recommend

clynol - fibreform fantastic gum which has great hold
or
clynol - fizz wax again great hold and good definition.

Hi Diva,

I usually use a product called Short Sexy Hair, which is from the USA and can be bought from Trade Secrets in Croydon. It's about £9.50 for a tube and a little goes a long way. However, I tried the red DAX today and melted some in my hand with a hairdryer & then applied it to my hair. What I found was that I had to blow-dry my hair to eliminate the white bits quickly and then melted a dime-sized amount again and then proceeded to spike my hair. So far the results are great but washing my hands of the stuff takes several attempts! Anyone have any useful tips about this sticky situation? Also, when I wake up tomorrow, is it true that if I blow-dry my hair again, I can just spike my hair without applying more?:Grope:

I swear by Tigi Manipulator.....it smells gorge and does a fab job too!! :green:

Hiya,

I use Affinage 'Control Freak'. It's about a tenner, lasts forever and like a fudge but is stringy (there is a proper terminology but I can't think of what it is!). By far the best I've ever tried and if I want extra hold, I couple it with Redken 20 firm hold (non-aerosol) spray.

FAB! :green:

xx

Latest posts

Back