Best gel polish to use?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keeley84

Reaction score
Hi all
Im new on here and new to the industry. I've recently set up as a mobile nail tech and do all the systems UV Gel, Acrylic etc, but I am looking to start doing gel polishes as well but I am not sure the best one to go for. I know Shellac seems to be the most popular but I have seen others on the market I.E OPI that claim to last three weeks. Could I have some opinions please.
Thanks ever so much :)
Keeleyxx

Hmmmm is hard to say,unless you've tryed and tested all of them.The only thing I could say is don't get Gellux,it's a nightmare!Lucky enough I only bought one colour+base/top coat+bonder.The base coat is very runny and to soak off is very hard,takes forever!It also only lasts a few days :irked: It lasted on my mother,quite well because she has ridges and she doesn't do much(normal polish lasts on her over a week)
I now use Shellac(power polish) and it seams to be great for my customers are happy.Bad points are that the top coat gets gloopy really fast and I seam to run out quick.Also you need to buy their lamp ,cause aparently others don't cure this polish.It doesn't offer that many colours as other brands,but this might be a good thing as you don't need to buy that many and how many client want neon green anyway?
The only thing is that I can only order online,cause there is no shop that sells them in my town.
My mentor uses Kinetics and Gelleration by Jessica,these are also nice.

I personally use Gelish and love it. Beautiful colours, and gorgeous shine! Lasts weeks aswell, even longer on toes.

I do like the sound of shellac, purely for the fact, you don't need to buff the nail prior to application, so may do a conversion for this after my Brisa Gel one!

I would highly recommend Shellac - although it is considered a Power Polish, not a Gel Polish.

I find Gelish shrinks back far to quick and also the natural nail needs to be buffed prior to application.

With Shellac there is no buffing, clients love it, colour range is great, layering can be done to achieve new colours. I could rave about it forever. And it is about 90% of my business.

Good luck with whatever you choose! :hug:

I adore shellac and gellish is amazing too. I accidentally bought something called bluesky shellac and it was dreadful so make sure you get the CND. And I agree no gellux. Good luck xxxxx

I've recently invested in Jessica Geleration, and I'm in love!!!! Easy application, fantastic choice of colours, and incredible results! The extra bonus with the Jessica system is it promotes natural healthy nail growth underneath the soft gel! Fab, professional, high market product!! You'll need a Jessica account with Gerrard International. Hope this helps x

Hi I use Gelish and love it! I've had it last 5 weeks on my fingernails- I data entry every day and don't use glove.
Their Colour range is awesome and I find removal easy.

Im using gelish ,only been doing nails a fue months though but I do like it, massive colour range to ,it probably lasts the longest out of all the gel polishes or power polish :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

Thanks ever so much everyone really appreciate the help :)
xxx

Orly Gel Fx is fab !!! No buffing of natural nail required, and basecoat is vitamin enriched lasts at least 2/3 weeks easy (depending on client !!).

Orly gel fx & gellux are great, I use both & find both last really well & my clients love that there is no buffing of the natural nail.
Gellux can be a bit stubborn for removal, but I find after wrapping each finger wrapping the hands in a towel & a heated wheat bag over that dissolves the product in 15 mins & it comes off lovely. Also after reading someone's advice on here, I purchased a bio sculpture removal tool to use.

Bio Sculpture Gel. Its the inventor of soak off gel. Available in over 150 colours of which all can be mixed to make more colours. It soaks off in 10/15 mins, lasts for weeks (3 weeks plus) and accomodates all nail types from flaky & weak to strong. Shellac just isnt suitable for all nail types (and they dont claim this either ) so your better investing in something that is versatile & practicle in so many ways ... :) I love the product...

I use trugel and just gel and find them fantastic! Lasting long, some colours in the just gel range do need a third coat of colour but other then that find them great! And they are bigger bottles then shellac so better value!

I've been using gelish for a few months now and I love it. I don't buff the natural nail and not had any issues by not doing so. I love there colour range only downside is my clients take ages to pick what they want lol
One of my clients has been wearing it on her toes now 9 wks and she keeps texting me to tell me it still looks amazing .....she's very pleased!!

Thanks ever so much everyone I really appreciate your comments and help. Like I say I am new to all this and there are just so many products on the market. Think I am going to give gelish a go and see how things go. Thanks ever so much again :hug:
Keeleyx

Thanks ever so much everyone I really appreciate your comments and help. Like I say I am new to all this and there are just so many products on the market. Think I am going to give gelish a go and see how things go. Thanks ever so much again :hug:
Keeleyx

Im sure u won't be disappointed,there r a fue threads on everyones favorite colours this is the hard bit lol :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

Hmmmm is hard to say,unless you've tryed and tested all of them.The only thing I could say is don't get Gellux,it's a nightmare!Lucky enough I only bought one colour+base/top coat+bonder.The base coat is very runny and to soak off is very hard,takes forever!It also only lasts a few days :irked: It lasted on my mother,quite well because she has ridges and she doesn't do much(normal polish lasts on her over a week)
I now use Shellac(power polish) and it seams to be great for my customers are happy.Bad points are that the top coat gets gloopy really fast and I seam to run out quick.Also you need to buy their lamp ,cause aparently others don't cure this polish.It doesn't offer that many colours as other brands,but this might be a good thing as you don't need to buy that many and how many client want neon green anyway?
The only thing is that I can only order online,cause there is no shop that sells them in my town.
My mentor uses Kinetics and Gelleration by Jessica,these are also nice.

CND Shellac CAN BE CURED WITH ANY uv OR led lamp
Please do not believe them what they claim.
Before they had their own lamp, I was at the Olympia beauty exhibition and asked them why they did not use an LED lamp. Reply: As it takes longer to use a UV lamp, you have time to do the other hand while curing. Haha I just laughed at him because I had used before CND with LED lamps.

Before they had their own lamp, I was at the Olympia beauty exhibition and asked them why they did not use an LED lamp. Reply: As it takes longer to use a UV lamp, you have time to do the other hand while curing. Haha I just laughed at him because I had used before CND with LED lamps.
Wrong information!!!

Just do a search on here or search Doug Schoon. Learn the reasons for using the correct lamp for the system you are using.
Value the health of your clients. Don't risk buying or using just any lamp!

Last edited:
Shocking advice

Latest posts

Back