Best way to get new clients

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gemied

Reaction score
I have just returned to the nail industry after a long break, although even when I did do nails mobile (about 10 years ago) I only had a few clients as I had 2 very young children.

I have recently completed all my refresher classes with CND for Brisa, L&P, Spa manicure/pedicure and had a one 2 one day for Shellac, Minx and Dashing Diva. I have practised on all my family members (my 10 year old son even had an Earth Pedicure!!) and have had some really nice price lists printed. I have delivered some to the houses locally and set up a facebook page with a few pics, but so far I've only had a couple of friends have treatments Obviously I realise I haven't exactly done loads but does anybody have any good ideas of how to get more clients for a mobile/home nail based nail professional?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated xx

I have just returned to the nail industry after a long break, although even when I did do nails mobile (about 10 years ago) I only had a few clients as I had 2 very young children.

I have recently completed all my refresher classes with CND for Brisa, L&P, Spa manicure/pedicure and had a one 2 one day for Shellac, Minx and Dashing Diva. I have practised on all my family members (my 10 year old son even had an Earth Pedicure!!) and have had some really nice price lists printed. I have delivered some to the houses locally and set up a facebook page with a few pics, but so far I've only had a couple of friends have treatments Obviously I realise I haven't exactly done loads but does anybody have any good ideas of how to get more clients for a mobile/home nail based nail professional?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated xx

There is only one way to get exposure and that is to expose yourself :biggrin:
make yourself visible.

Business cards ... Put them and post them everywhere you go and never be without them. Supermarkets, gyms the local fish&chip shop on their notice boards. At school .. You must know plenty of school mums; hand them out and tell them what you are doing.

Do wedding fayers etc.

Offer yourself to women's groups for a demo night and a little talk about what you do. Groups love visitors who can do and talk about cool things.

Leave business cards at the dry cleaners and wedding shops etc.

In short, you need to hustle your bustle and rope in everyone you know to tell their friends that you are starting up in business again. It won't take long but you have to put some thought into it. Where do you go as a woman? Where would you pick up a card if you saw one? I put them in every ladies toilet wherever I went when I started out and the other things I suggested. It worked for me :biggrin: and leg work and cards are cheap.

The one thing you don't do is offer a discount. Start as you mean to go on and get quality clients that aren't just out to get an opening offer cheap. A cheap opening offer would never entice me through the door; people who go for that, go elsewhere as soon as anyone else does it.

Good luck .. You've got the right gear to make a good business ... Now shift up the gears and get going! :hug:

I've tried putting business cards up in places and get told to leave or told that I have to pay £5 per week to have my card up there.
Maybe try advertising in the local free paper?

I've tried putting business cards up in places and get told to leave or told that I have to pay £5 per week to have my card up there.
Maybe try advertising in the local free paper?

You will just throw your money away if you advertise in the local paper.
Try harder with the cards. And the other tips I gave you.

for me the "loyalty card" has always worked well in retaining clients....as for growing your business "refer a friend" cards also always works well for me.

Think about your unique selling point when it comes to your marketing and card/flyers etc...

what makes YOU different from ANY OTHER nail technician in the area...

I am surrounded by nss in my local high street ,most of which dont speak a word of english (NOT being raciest just stating a FACT) AND ALL use a electric file...

so my unique selling point is "ALL NAILS FILED AND BUFFED BY HAND.NO ELECTRIC DRILLS USED.FULLY FLUENT ENGLISH SPEAKING NAIL TECHNICIAN"

and i can not emphasis to you how much GOOD this has done for my business...my phone is ringing off the hook,a lot of that is to do with SHELLAC,but ALL my NEW clients say "I COME TO YOU BECAUSE YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE AROUND HERE WHO DOESNT USE AND DRILL AND SPEAKS ENGLISH"...

find out what people want in your local area and use it to your advantage....

HTH and hope nobody is offended by my comments...certainly not meant that way...just stating the facts

You will just throw your money away if you advertise in the local paper.
Try harder with the cards. And the other tips I gave you.

COMPLETELY agree with Gigi.I advertised ,a lot,with my local paper when i opened the salon back in 2006 and WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY...NOT ONE SINGLE CALL......

Consider these points also...
1)YOU MUST have a website...and most importantly one that comes up HIGH AND AT THE TOP OF SEARCH ENGINE RANKINGS(after all a website that no one can find is pointless)
2)Yellow pages...the older clientele STILL use this.
3)get your clients to write some testimonials and ADD them to your business cards/advertising etc
4)before and after photos on marketing and websites also work really well

All the new clients I've had so far are from my website, people searching google and I'm there. x

for me the "loyalty card" has always worked well in retaining clients....as for growing your business "refer a friend" cards also always works well for me.

Think about your unique selling point when it comes to your marketing and card/flyers etc...

what makes YOU different from ANY OTHER nail technician in the area...

I am surrounded by nss in my local high street ,most of which dont speak a word of english (NOT being raciest just stating a FACT) AND ALL use a electric file...

so my unique selling point is "ALL NAILS FILED AND BUFFED BY HAND.NO ELECTRIC DRILLS USED.FULLY FLUENT ENGLISH SPEAKING NAIL TECHNICIAN"

and i can not emphasis to you how much GOOD this has done for my business...my phone is ringing off the hook,a lot of that is to do with SHELLAC,but ALL my NEW clients say "I COME TO YOU BECAUSE YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE AROUND HERE WHO DOESNT USE AND DRILL AND SPEAKS ENGLISH"...

find out what people want in your local area and use it to your advantage....

HTH and hope nobody is offended by my comments...certainly not meant that way...just stating the facts

Well said. I totally agree! My nail tech is fantastic and we always get clients who have been to those dreadful places where they drill and use cheap nasty products. We hear the same over and over again , english speaking and no mask, no drill and top quality products.

It grates on me also that they claim their gel is a powder gel when we all know its L & P!

It grates on me also that they claim their gel is a powder gel when we all know its L & P!
sorry to come of subject but we have one NSs in my town n they do this really don't get it it is acrylic! have a client (not all there but lovely) keeps telling me I'm doing gel n booking in for gel (only do gelish & shellac) so I'm not getting booked out enuf! really annoying me!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all your help everybody, have started on Geeg's tips already! Fingers crossed i'm successful xx

Latest posts

Back