Beware of selling stuff online

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

persianista

Reaction score
I recently advertised some styling sections on gumtree. A man came down to look at them, and bought them. He paid, but asked to store them in my salon till he could organise a van. All fine.
He then proceeded to tell me he would buy my salon chairs (not for sale!) for ten pounds. I laughed and said no chance. Off he went.

Well today, two of them arrived to pick up the sections. "You promised to sell me the chairs for ten pounds," he shouted in my face. He then proceeded to grab me and shout in my face when I said no. I pulled away, told him to take the mirror sections and leave, or I'd call the police. He stood looking menacing, said he wasn't leaving. I called the police.
After getting off the phone, he grabbed me again. I got away, and ran next door. He followed me in, and barricaded the door. My shop was open, with Ted the dog in there. The lady in the estate agents dragged him off me. I ran back to my shop.
The police arrived, calmed them both down, waited while he took the sections and left.

Takes a lot to scare me, but I'm really shaken up. Just be careful selling to people online, theirs some nasty people out there.

Oh my goodness! I hope you are ok!

This world that we live in... it can be so horrible. I have my own experience, but it wasn't in this country. Still, it is a horrible thing to experience.

Thanks for sharing and warning us of this.

I'm just a bit bruised, and shaken up. I've had two cups of tea and three fags, but I'm still shaky.

Good God Dawn, I sincerely hope you are ok. There are some really nasty people about nowadays. :hug:x

Oh god how awful I hope your ok.
I'm always so wary when I sell stuff online and they pick it up from my house. I always make sure someone's with me in case they decide to rob me!!
Xxxx

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

That's awful. don't let them get away with it. People like that should be charged. Hope you're okay. I would get extra security in your salon if you haven't already. Security cameras and alarm systems. I was thinking of putting up a wedding photography offer on Gumtree for this summer. Don't think I will bother now.

This makes me think even if I have a chat over the phone or face to face with someone now I will always duplicate what I say via written means. So a thank you email or something or text to say "thanks for your business I'm sorry I can't offer my chairs blah blah blah but see you when you come to pick up the sections"

Hope you're okay, keep yourself surrounded by good company the next few days they'll help take your mind off stuff and settle you a little. Anyone would be shaken up after that x

x HelloSORRISO x

Friggin hell! So glad your ok. Hope your feeling less shaky soon xxx

Jemima :)

Four fags and three cups of tea later, and I'm feeling a little better. Still got the door locked though.

Brandy! What did the police say/do?

Edit: I missed the bit where you answered this.

Last edited:
That is a horrific incident to be put through, and not one you will get over quickly.
The minute he laid hands on you it was an assault (and a very nasty one at that) given that you had a witness I am surprised he wasn't arrested by the police and charged.

Your not still in there on your own are you? I would call someone to get down there to you as soon as, shock is quite debilitating and you shouldn't be on your own.

There's some seriously nasty people in this world! I hope you start to feel better soon. Did the police do anything?

How awful for you!

So a strange man attempts to rip you off, abuses, chases and assaults you and THEN walks off with merchandise after being calmed down by the Police?

What is their job again?.....

I would of pressed charges. By putting his hands on you as izzy said it's common assault.
Sending hugs xx

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

It was two large men who were of Afrikan origin. Carl, you are correct, sadly. I think the police just didn't want the hassle.
Yes, the estate agent next door witnessed him grabbing and shaking me. The whole thing was pretty dreadful to be honest. I don't scare easily, and I'm ok at standing my ground, but it was genuinely terrified. The copper just told me that 'they're passionate people, and it's just the way they are.'

It was two large men who were of Afrikan origin. Carl, you are correct, sadly. I think the police just didn't want the hassle.
Yes, the estate agent next door witnessed him grabbing and shaking me. The whole thing was pretty dreadful to be honest. I don't scare easily, and I'm ok at standing my ground, but it was genuinely terrified. The copper just told me that 'they're passionate people, and it's just the way they are.'

Sod that! I'm passionate about some things but I don't go around abusing people. It's common assault and up to you if you want to press charges. The police should have told you that

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

That's not really good enough though. Especially if he assaulted you.

I think that you should report this to Gumtree, so that they can issue a warning on their site.

Passionate I think not! I would press for assault charges they will do the same again scum bags. I have a baseball bat behind my desk what if I passionately used it on them ;-) it has natural anaesthesia wrote on it. Hope you ok xx

That is totally unacceptable. I am shocked at this and if I were you I would raise an official complaint.
They had these 2 guys there bang to rights and they should have arrested them even if you decided not to press charges, at the very least they should have had there identities checked out to see if they have done this before. At least tell me they took some details off them and checked for outstanding warrants?
As it is these 2 guys will now have disappeared into the ether never to be seen again even if you do decide to press charges.

That is totally unacceptable. I am shocked at this and if I were you I would raise an official complaint.
They had these 2 guys there bang to rights and they should have arrested them even if you decided not to press charges, at the very least they should have had there identities checked out to see if they have done this before. At least tell me they took some details off them and checked for outstanding warrants?
As it is these 2 guys will now have disappeared into the ether never to be seen again even if you do decide to press charges.

Well, I mentioned to the copper that one of them moved his van the moment they realised I'd called the cops. They might have wanted to check that out, let alone find out about the two thugs. The police just seemed to want them to disappear to be honest. Probably too much paperwork involved in dealing with such 'passionate' thugs.

Omg! That is terrible really made me think twice about selling stuff online! Hope your okay !!
xxxx

Latest posts

Back