Big curly blow dry

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wawahair

Reaction score
I recently did a curly blow dry course but I don't feel very confident doing these. The course wasn't very good.

I wanted to learn the leave in brush method as I have had this and it was the best blowfly I have ever had and lasted for days. I tried to do this on my Friend and the brushes just got stuck.

I am not sure if it is something I am doing or the brushes? I use head jog and a few Sally's own brand.
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1503261012.552242.jpg

I have included a photo. I want it to be much curlier. Any advice please xxx
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1503261104.011669.jpg

What bridges are you using??

Brushes sorry

I've never left the brush in and every time I have tried in the past it's done the same. Blow dry your section to get maximum volume then as your doing so once hair is wrapped around the brush blast with some heat and hold and then bring the brush out and pin Curl your sections as u go starting from the bottom, that gives the best results for me x

You don't need to leave the brush in to get long lasting curls.

You do need good hair preparation, using the right volumising products. Just spraying with hairspray isn't going to be effective.
Make sure there is no wax or silicone residue in the hair after washing, especially if the hair is fine or soft.
Think about your section pattern relating to your final look.
Carefully roll up and pin each section after drying and leave it to cool for long enough before brushing out. Several minutes preferably.

This is also down to how long the hair is, is there layers and the weight of the hair. When I do a curly blowdry I never use conditioner as this weighs down the hair.

Have you got a headblock that you can practise on? That's often the best way to learn a new technique.

I recently did a curly blow dry course but I don't feel very confident doing these. The course wasn't very good.

I wanted to learn the leave in brush method as I have had this and it was the best blowfly I have ever had and lasted for days. I tried to do this on my Friend and the brushes just got stuck.

I am not sure if it is something I am doing or the brushes? I use head jog and a few Sally's own brand. View attachment 205808

I have included a photo. I want it to be much curlier. Any advice please xxxView attachment 205809
Harcutz answered how to set the curls, in terms of the brushes getting tangled, in my experience, it can be down to usually one or more of 3 things, either the brush material is not compatible with the hair, for example using black boar in very fine hair or Afro hair(not a common reason). The sectioning is not clean(very common) or the section is way to big for the hairlength and brush size(also very common) the longer the hair and the smaller the brush, the more careful you have to be, don't forget to rough dry the hair 80%ish before you start curly blowdrying it. Otherwise you'll be there for an hour or two. I find on fine hair mousse and root spray work great to keep the curl in, on rougher, courser and thicker hair, a soft-medium hold gel intended for natural curls works best. My fav curlyblowdry product is the Boucléme curl defining gel, as a salon, you can only get it directly from boucleme.the photo I attached was blowdried using headjog wooden ceramic brushes at 34 mm and about a £2 size amount of Boucléme gel, pincurled as soon as I twirled the brush out of the hair, and sprayed with tigi hard head before running fingers through cold hair and sprayed a little more

Attachments

• IMG_0972.JPG
    IMG_0972.JPG
    613.1 KB · Views: 152
It also depends on hair type . Certain types of hair just will not curl ( or drop instantly ) trying to curl using a blow dry method !in which case you're better off going for end result and going back in with a curling iron

Using a product with some hold beforehand will really help vs just hairspray afterwards. After you completely dried the piece of hair and added volume etc, wrap the brush up to the root and then hold it and use high heat for a few seconds and then immediately switch to the coldest setting/cold blast and use for a good 5 seconds. Then carefully unwrap it. It should stay as long as you used the cold setting, but if you want maximum staying power you can pin it up afterwards til you are done. Some things I noticed that cause the brush to get stuck is if you take the brush out the wrong way, or it wasn't completely detangled beforehand. This is a great tutorial that helped me

Thank you everyone will
Take all advice on board and give it a go. What brushes does everyone use ? X

You don't need to leave the brush in to get long lasting curls.

You do need good hair preparation, using the right volumising products. Just spraying with hairspray isn't going to be effective.
Make sure there is no wax or silicone residue in the hair after washing, especially if the hair is fine or soft.
Think about your section pattern relating to your final look.
Carefully roll up and pin each section after drying and leave it to cool for long enough before brushing out. Several minutes preferably.
What products do you recommend ?

What products do you recommend ?

Depends what brands you have access to. I use products from a range of brands (inc. Wella, Tigi, Matrix) but specifically look for volumising mouse and creams, root booster sprays plus a simple (old fashioned) setting lotion can be really good for holding curls, although they can feel a bit crunchy.

As said above, rough dry the hair first before using your brush to curl. Don't pull the hair smooth though as you normally would. If you use a ceramic barrel brush, you can briefly warm the brush with the hairdryer before rolling the hair into it as it will help curl the hair from the inside.

Where did you do your training? Did you feedback that the course wasn't up to expectations? Some 1 day courses run by the wholesalers for instance, can be very poor depending on the individual trainer, and others can be amazing.

How much does everyone charge? I am mobile or they would come to my house. I was thinking £25?

The course was at The Essex Makeup Academy. I have written out an email which I will be sending today. I didn't want to go to one at wholesalers as I didn't think would be very good. I Wanted to go Essex as everyone has them there so just thought that would be good.

Very frustrating as I really want to master this and be amazing as no one can do them very well in my area I have tried everywhere for myself.

I was taught to take section as thick and wide as the brush I was using. Spray heat protecter on the section and then apply mouse to the section. Blow dry high up about three times or until dry and then spin on the ends and twist up, blast three times for a secon on top bottom and under then take the brush out twist with finger and pin up. Once all done spray all over and leave and unpin once cooled down. X

If the heat protector contains silicones, leave it out. Go in with volumising mousse and rough dry the hair all over first to about 70% dry.
Take thinner, finer sections and see how that works.
Also, how long are you leaving it to cool, before brushing out or finger styling?

Ideally, you also need to know the difference between 'on base' and 'off base' when drying with your brush.
Have you got a headblock to practise on? Practice makes perfect is so true in hairdressing.

I wonder if the course was aimed at hairdressers who already know the basics?

I also think hair type , length , texture . Has a massive roll to play , if it's very long , heavy , with no natural movement , we are wasting our time . If it's layered and has a natural wave then fab ! . Otherwise you're better off doing the work with a curling iron ! ( in my opinion !![emoji51]

When I did the curly blow dry in college we also left the brushes in and it turned out perfectly. Just ensure you're using the right size brush and the hair is almost dry prior to starting the curly blow dry. Think about your method and avoid using too much product. I have seen some brushes intended for this but I haven't used them.

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1504212370.068359.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1504212395.129025.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1504212425.147712.jpg

I have done another and think I have improved.

Latest posts

Back