Big Mistake

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Amber~

Reaction score
At least I was able to chuckle at myself a little today after I did this..I am still in school, and we started learning acrylics last week. We use Clarite at school, because it is so easy to mold and you have time to play around with it before it hardens. Well, the Clarite has been yellowing lately..everyone's has, so I'm thinking its something with the product. Anyhow, we also got some OPI competition formula in our kits. So I had this *cough* brilliant idea to try to do pink and whites on myself. I can do them fine on a form practicing with the clarite, so how much different could the competition formula be? So I get everything prepped and ready, and as soon as I try to shape my smile line, it hardens, and FAST. So Im thinking well..perhaps Ill just do pink on all my other nails. HAH! My nails look like complete CRAP. They are slightly uneven and have lots of little sunk in places all over the nail. I seriously doubted myself with acrylic when I did this today, lol. I certainly wont work with competition again. I've learned my lesson!

~Amber~ said:
At least I was able to chuckle at myself a little today after I did this..I am still in school, and we started learning acrylics last week. We use Clarite at school, because it is so easy to mold and you have time to play around with it before it hardens. Well, the Clarite has been yellowing lately..everyone's has, so I'm thinking its something with the product. Anyhow, we also got some OPI competition formula in our kits. So I had this *cough* brilliant idea to try to do pink and whites on myself. I can do them fine on a form practicing with the clarite, so how much different could the competition formula be? So I get everything prepped and ready, and as soon as I try to shape my smile line, it hardens, and FAST. So Im thinking well..perhaps Ill just do pink on all my other nails. HAH! My nails look like complete CRAP. They are slightly uneven and have lots of little sunk in places all over the nail. I seriously doubted myself with acrylic when I did this today, lol. I certainly wont work with competition again. I've learned my lesson!

I remember doing exactly the same thing when I was first training...I was thinking to myself 'oh there can't be that much difference, i'll give it a whirl!'...how wrong was I!!!!
The good news is that as time goes on and you get better and faster with your application and times you will get on just fine with the competition products!!! Took me a while though!!!!

~Amber~ said:
oh amber i am laughing my head of here at you
we have all been there love....but oh i have laughed :)

hi

aww :lol: been there done that :lol:

Competition L+P is a much faster set cant think why on earth they would include it in a college pack though.

get yourself a cnd L+P trial kit for ret + its the best i have tried ever.

Take care

Little Angel said:
hi

aww :lol: been there done that :lol:

Competition L+P is a much faster set cant think why on earth they would include it in a college pack though.

get yourself a cnd L+P trial kit for ret + its the best i have tried ever.

Take care

i would agree here -
the competition is too fast for a learner - i started out with opi clarite - its very good for the reasons you stated - the comp and the absolute set pretty quick but if your not used to working that fast - youve had it - if i were you chuck id get the hang of the aplication etc- then switch to cnd when you confident with your application - i trained with opi clarite then went on to absolute (fast set) then one day i woke up and smelt the coffee - switched to cnd and never looked back - i love cnd (tho it sets faster than clarite and you dont have all that rubbery crap to file off) - ive now become a snob with cnd - if it aint cnd i dont use it - with this product you know what you getting (but it does set faster than the clarite)- its the best thing since sliced bread in my opinion

I wish they would all just pop off already, lol. That seems to be one good thing about acrylics with me..I can actually get them to not lift and pop off. I guess I prep thoroughly though. Come to think of it, I wouldnt know why anyone would put competition in a college kit either! Im certainly not opening that bottle anymore though, lol. I started dabbing in Ez Flow last week, and I can do pretty good smile lines with that, seeing as how it needs to be a little wetter anyway, I have much more time to work with it. Im thinking about ordering my stuff from youngnails.com though, because I saw that it was low odor, and I really think thats what I need..when I was working on my nails today, the monomer just gave me a headache, and after I finished I just got in the shower and was sleepy, so I took a nap. I guess I was overexposed or something, thats all I could think of it being..Ive also seen on Christie's website (the Hawaiian gal) that she uses them and she speaks highly of them. But thanks to all who helped me laugh through my problem today :lol: You guys are great!

I am trained with Ezlow and I can do nothing but sing their praises!
I love Ezflow's L&P for the reason you stated.....its ease of use.....creaminess....all those colours and glitters.....and many, many more reasons. Ezflows monomer is low odor and I find you get used to the smell very quickly. Your headache probably came from concentration and eyestrain.

Latest posts

Back