Bio Sculpture and sunlight?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephanie_87

Reaction score
Hi Nail Geeks, I have just hopped over from hair and wonder if you can help me. I have a nail technician working in my salon doing bio sculpture. She has mentioned to me that I might need to move her nail desk out of the window as it affects the bio sculpture. Is this strictly true? Or is this just something that they tell you in training i.e don't leave in direct sunlight?(like most products) Or can you genuinely not do bio sculpture in sunlight next to a window?

Thank You

Hi Nail Geeks, I have just hopped over from hair and wonder if you can help me. I have a nail technician working in my salon doing bio sculpture. She has mentioned to me that I might need to move her nail desk out of the window as it affects the bio sculpture. Is this strictly true? Or is this just something that they tell you in training i.e don't leave in direct sunlight?(like most products) Or can you genuinely not do bio sculpture in sunlight next to a window?

Thank You

I do bio sculpture, i can't see a problem working near the window as the light would be good to see better but you can't keep your gels near the light, maybe this is what she is worried about. X

Hiya

UV light cures BioSculpture, and as there is some UV Light in Natural Daylight, if you work in front of a window and leave the top off your gel pot, then the gel will cure and you will get "hard" bits in it.

If you work near a window you'll need to be REALLY careful to replace the lid on your gel pots every time you have finished dipping your brush in to avoid this problem.

I do bio sculpture in a salon window and I am very careful with the sunlight luckily the sun only enters my window around 6 in the evening and I have a big blind for when it comes round, did bio in a clients conservatory once and the uv rays came through the roof and cured my whole pot of gel... Bad times lol x

I don't keep putting the cap back on when I am working but I do place a square of lint free kitchen roll over the top of the pot as I work to prevent the light getting to the gel & any dust.

The daylight will also yellow her lamps prematurely.

Moving back form the window a bit would help.

I do lower the blinds as the sun comes round in the afternoon so no direct sunlight touches my gels...

as said as long as extra care is taken when doing nails to keep pots covered and pots should be kept elsewhere at night. when the gel is exposed to sunlight it will cure and be no good!!

Wow, I'm surprised your nail tech is asking to be moved AWAY from the window! I have been trying to persuade the guys I rent from to move me BACK to the window (since our recent refurb saw me moved to the back of the salon). Anyway by the window is the best place for her, it is in zone A, she is more visible to the public, it is a much nicer space for her clients to be in - I could go on forever! Trust me it makes a huge difference to business, and like others have said, she just needs to be careful with gels. If a pot was left open in the sun, yes it would harden. I just loosely place the lid over the pot when I'm working - even when I'm not in direct sunlight, it's good practice to protect the gel from fluff, dust & hair also.

I have my table in the window and is great for business,but in the afternoon when the sun is shining it's impossible to apply any gels,even shellac brush cures as I apply lol!You winn some you lose some! I just lower one of my posters to creat shade for an hour so the sun doesn't shine right on my brush,as I had to trow away a brand new brush already so I learnt my lesson!It cures in seconds!it's like a greenhouse pfffff:irked:
Also keep my pretty shellac rack away from the window cause it cures in the bottle from heat and it goes gloopy,especialy top coat and base coat!
I wish I could keep them in the window as they sell themselfs soooo good when seen.
Bottom line,yes she is right!

Thank You all for your replies. That has helped me hugely. I really didn't want to have to move her, my shop front is huge, it's 8 panels of 7ft high windows and she is in prime location to get new business. Thank You :)

forgot to say i work in my conservatory so there is lots of light!! i just remove gels and shellac at night so not over exposed and keep lids on pots when using. as long as you are extra careful you are ok.

Latest posts

Back