Black greasy finger nails! - What do I use?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADiva1

Reaction score
Hi all

My mechanic has just booked an appointment for a manicure. He has lots of grease stuck into his very badly bitten nails and very dry skin from constantly washing his hands...

Any suggestions on what products I can use to give him an astounding before and after effect??? Think he's expecting a miracle! :eek:

Will any of Creative's range do the trick - or anything else?

My Uncle is a mechanic and for my cousins wedding (his daughter) it took her about 4 days of constant soaking, scrubbing and washing to get them anywhere nice to give her away :eek:

I think you're going to have to manage his expectations - he'll see a huge change just with the first treatment, but not a miracle :lol:

I'd send him to the sink with a simple hand cleaning solution first, Fairy Liquid and a big scoop of sugar is a simple and effective cleanser. That'll take the bulk off to start with. Then I'd do a spa manicure with loads of exfoliating crystal scrub (or Solar Manicure scrub if you want something a bit more unisex)

Keep advising him that a couple of visits will be needed for a complete transformation.

See if you can get some before and after pictures

Good Luck Mate :hug:

well... my mom always gets oil out of my clothes with washing up liquid (i think) LOL

Washing up liquid def works on oil!
What about a parraffin manicure?
My dad is a chemical engineer and his hands are so dry from the chemicals he uses works wonders on him.
I also gave him gardeners barrier hand cream to help prevent staining.

Toni Talons said:
well... my mom always gets oil out of my clothes with washing up liquid (i think) LOL

LOL, I dont let my Mum anywhere near my clothes anymore - with all her good old remedies!:eek:

you could always use swarfega, its for this purpose

hth

Peter Pan said:

hth

Ah! Swarfegal...that smell brings back memories of a mis-spent youth :lol:

Not cheap to buy just for one client though :( - I fell into that trap with some gel, I spend £15 on a pot of soft white gel for a client who then decided she didn't want gel anymore

I just smiled sweetly and ground my teeth :evil: :lol:

ADiva1 said:
LOL, I dont let my Mum anywhere near my clothes anymore - with all her good old remedies!:eek:

LOL! know what you mean... my mom SHRINKS all my clothes, and never my sisters or brothers! Why is that?

Bubblewhite could work for taking the stain out of the nails x

what about a good scrub with some toothpaste?... throw in a little listerine too!

or a soak in lemon juice and some manicure fizz, tell him it's a bubbly lemonade manicure.

but geez, don't make the same mistake that i did... i soaked in a bleach solution once.... :o :rolleyes: DON'T ASK!:lol:

Peter Pan said:

hth
yea this stuff's brilliant, my kids n hubby use it x

Peter Pan said:

hth

i would have said swarfega too, it will come off in no time, not sure where to buy it though hun x

If he's a mechanic, then surely they will have some Swarfeega in the garage. Tell him to have a really good go with that first, then come to you and you deal with whats left. HTH

You could use this, i've heard it's very good and might look more professional than some of the alternatives

http://www.ecover.com/english/index.htm

Product: Heavy Duty Hand Cleaner

Properties: *removes paint, oil and other difficult stains from your hands fast and effective. *extremely gentle on the skin and refreshing. *no petrochemical based ingredients. *approved by The Vegan Society. *optimum level of biodegradability - far exceeds legal requirements. *minimum impact on aquatic life. *against animal testing. *also suitable for septic tanks.

Instructions for use: Undo the cap and squeeze the tube until a small amount of the product comes out. As the product is a paste, you do not need very much. Rub the product thoroughly into your hands and rinse off. For hard-to-shift stains you can use a brush.

Ingredients: Ingredient names according to INCI-terminology: Aqua, Wood Powder, Sodium C12-C18 Alkyl Sulfate, Coconut Shell Granulate, Lauryl Glucoside, Parfum, Sodium Chloride, Citric Acid, Silver Chloride, Titanium Dioxide.

Pack sizes: 150 ml tube

Packaging material: tube is made of polyethylene; cap of polypropylene. Polyethylene and polypropylene are 100 % recyclable and can be recycled together perfectly.

yogacat said:
You could use this, i've heard it's very good and might look more professional than some of the alternatives

http://www.ecover.com/english/index.htm

Product: Heavy Duty Hand Cleaner

Properties: *removes paint, oil and other difficult stains from your hands fast and effective. *extremely gentle on the skin and refreshing. *no petrochemical based ingredients. *approved by The Vegan Society. *optimum level of biodegradability - far exceeds legal requirements. *minimum impact on aquatic life. *against animal testing. *also suitable for septic tanks.

Instructions for use: Undo the cap and squeeze the tube until a small amount of the product comes out. As the product is a paste, you do not need very much. Rub the product thoroughly into your hands and rinse off. For hard-to-shift stains you can use a brush.

Ingredients: Ingredient names according to INCI-terminology: Aqua, Wood Powder, Sodium C12-C18 Alkyl Sulfate, Coconut Shell Granulate, Lauryl Glucoside, Parfum, Sodium Chloride, Citric Acid, Silver Chloride, Titanium Dioxide.

Pack sizes: 150 ml tube

Packaging material: tube is made of polyethylene; cap of polypropylene. Polyethylene and polypropylene are 100 % recyclable and can be recycled together perfectly.

Thank you very much! xx

My fiance is a mechanic and I am constantly doing his nails. His cuticles are terrible and they always are dry and broken. I just use lots of moisturising cream, cuticle cream, etc etc. Anything to make them soft!

Toni Talons said:
LOL! know what you mean... my mom SHRINKS all my clothes, and never my sisters or brothers! Why is that?

thats nothing my fella used to take his to him mums, thats before she threw them out with the rubbish...

...that'll teach him to bundle them into a black bin bag

unfortunitely i wash them now

:rolleyes:

Try washing up liquid with a handful of sugar this should remove the top layer of grease then try solar butter in heated mitts then solar mani for the residue,or a little sea serum could work on those especially difficult patches.

let us knwo how it goes
x

Once you've done all or some of the above brilliant idea's, I would give his hands a good rub with a white block or a file. His hands will be tough enough to take it and you'll be amazed as it really gets rid of some of the surface stains. xxx

Heel 2 Toe sell these sort of sponge pumice bars, in the US they're called Mr Pumi Pumice bars, they're apparently great for getting off grub. I got a bar in Sally's the other week as well as the Heel 2 Toe sloughing lotion and it got so much cr*p off Alex's hands. The sloughing lotion to put on and then keep rubbing until the dead, dry skin starts to roll off, taking all the muck with it. They do a lotion version or a mousse I think. Like Pumice mousse/spray is also meant to be good for that.

Latest posts

Back