Bleach and 50 vol

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I' bet no one had soft hair in the 80s! Bleach and 60vol through the cap then a perm a few weeks later!!!

There was nooooo need for soft hair! Bigger the better and a can of hair spray!

I' bet no one had soft hair in the 80s! Bleach and 60vol through the cap then a perm a few weeks later!!!

Yep..no one had soft hair in the 80's.....but guess what, we DIDN'T WANT IT!!! :eek:
Soft hair, was a definite NO NO.....
We all wanted BIG HAIR....We crimped it, back combed it...sugar soaped it.......WE ROCKED IT!!!!:cool:

Back in the day, it was 'common practice' to bleach ones hair, then directly after, tint it black, or red...whatever......
The sole purpose of the bleach, was to swell/ roughen up the surface of the hair, ready for the ritual BACK COMBING that would take our hair to within an inch of it's life! :p
Happy day's.......:)

Yep..no one had soft hair in the 80's.....but guess what, we DIDN'T WANT IT!!! :eek:
Soft hair, was a definite NO NO.....
We all wanted BIG HAIR....We crimped it, back combed it...sugar soaped it.......WE ROCKED IT!!!!:cool:

Back in the day, it was 'common practice' to bleach ones hair, then directly after, tint it black, or red...whatever......
The sole purpose of the bleach, was to swell/ roughen up the surface of the hair, ready for the ritual BACK COMBING that would take our hair to within an inch of it's life! :p
Happy day's.......:)

I would have LOVED to have been a hairdresser in the 80s I bet it was fantastic! Especially when foil and easi meche came out!

I would have LOVED to have been a hairdresser in the 80s I bet it was fantastic! Especially when foil and easi meche came out!

Foil was out WAY before mech.
I started my training in London in 1978, and let me tell you....they knew how to highlight!
We're going back to the hay days of Daniel Galvin, John Frieda and Nicky Clarke.

Mech, I believe, came in the early 80's...it was, and still is, my preferred medium.

You can always top your knowledge of being a virtuous colorist off with finishing your on-scalp 50 vol bleach with heat for 25min application by using a level 12 'toner' with 20 vol to perfect the level 12 result :)

Foil was out WAY before mech.
I started my training in London in 1978, and let me tell you....they knew how to highlight!
We're going back to the hay days of Daniel Galvin, John Frieda and Nicky Clarke.

Mech, I believe, came in the early 80's...it was, and still is, my preferred medium.

I would love to have done what you've done!!!!!! Why do you think the cap was still so popular then?

I would love to have done what you've done!!!!!! Why do you think the cap was still so popular then?

Salons at that time were,REALLY BUSY.
It was normal practice for the stylist to pass some of the technical work to their apprentice to do, whilst they cut and styled.
The cap was a quick and less skilled option.
Not all stylist's could foil.....only those at the top of their game, and commanding a very high price, would offer this service, due to the time taken.
As I've said, salons would be banged out, with stylist's taking bookings every 15 - 30 minutes.
It was great being an apprentice back then, you would have a real 'hands on' opportunity from day one....
I was perming by week 2......
But those were very different times....respect for the professional nowdays is sadly lacking! :(

Salons at that time were,REALLY BUSY.
It was normal practice for the stylist to pass some of the technical work to their apprentice to do, whilst they cut and styled.
The cap was a quick and less skilled option.
Not all stylist's could foil.....only those at the top of their game, and commanding a very high price, would offer this service, due to the time taken.
As I've said, salons would be banged out, with stylist's taking bookings every 15 - 30 minutes.
It was great being an apprentice back then, you would have a real 'hands on' opportunity from day one....
I was perming by week 2......
But those were very different times....respect for the professional nowdays is sadly lacking! :(

It's such a shame I wonder why salons aren't like this anymore? It seems more towns had salons like my local village has one small shop now but back in the 80s and 90s it had 3! I would have loved to have been a stylist back then! Someone was telling me the other day that back then if you were a redken salon you were considered a good trendy shop!

It's such a shame I wonder why salons aren't like this anymore? It seems more towns had salons like my local village has one small shop now but back in the 80s and 90s it had 3! I would have loved to have been a stylist back then! Someone was telling me the other day that back then if you were a redken salon you were considered a good trendy shop!

Rent a chair.....:(
sorry all you folk who this works well for, but I think it has changed the industry big time.
Traditionally, you worked your way up from 1st year apprentice, through to 3rd, then 1st & second year operator.....5 years in all, before you were considered ready to be called a stylist.
You covered EVERYTHING....setting blow drying, perming, cutting,straightening.....male and female hairdressing.
If you went to college, it was 2 years full time, or 'day release'.
That would be 5 full days, where you would also take art, make up, manicure wig making, and science.

The salon in which you trained had your loyalty.
Once 'on the floor', they would keep an eye on you, continue to nurture you, and what ever your level,you would help each other out.
There would be 'healthy' competition'.....with stylist's trying to 'beat' whoever took the most the week before!
It would also involve praising whoever did the best cut.... colour/perm.....who sold the most....
Every staff member had the opportunity to shine at something.......
There was a sense of belonging, as you were part of a team :D

I think maybe some rose colored glasses have been put on. The hair was hideous.

candyfloss anyone

Olaplex is great but it's not magic like that! It will help it but that's just way to high and should never be used!

I think maybe some rose colored glasses have been put on. The hair was hideous.

yes in terms of condition/styles etc. However, it was a better work environment with a lot more respect all around which made it very enjoyable :)

That I believe! People just aren't decent anymore

Rent a chair.....:(
sorry all you folk who this works well for, but I think it has changed the industry big time.
Traditionally, you worked your way up from 1st year apprentice, through to 3rd, then 1st & second year operator.....5 years in all, before you were considered ready to be called a stylist.
You covered EVERYTHING....setting blow drying, perming, cutting,straightening.....male and female hairdressing.
If you went to college, it was 2 years full time, or 'day release'.
That would be 5 full days, where you would also take art, make up, manicure wig making, and science.

The salon in which you trained had your loyalty.
Once 'on the floor', they would keep an eye on you, continue to nurture you, and what ever your level,you would help each other out.
There would be 'healthy' competition'.....with stylist's trying to 'beat' whoever took the most the week before!
It would also involve praising whoever did the best cut.... colour/perm.....who sold the most....
Every staff member had the opportunity to shine at something.......
There was a sense of belonging, as you were part of a team :D

My mum trained as a hairdresser in the late 70s/ early 80s. They learnt SO much more.
She learnt the history of hair/hairstyles. She had to do A LOT more drawing and artistic stuff.

They had A LOT more competitions locally etc etc.

My grandmother trained in the 60's. I learned MUCH more in her little home salon than I learned in college. My mom trained in the late 70's, but she never had the passion for it the way my grandmother did. I was doing my mom's global bleach retouches when I was 10. My grandmother taught me to never use anything above 6% on the scalp. She believed in the low and slow method. I honestly can never remember her usung anything above 6% with bleach at all.

Latest posts

Back