Bleach Foils

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redbillie

Reaction score
I know I keep going on about this but if I am putting bleach foil highlights in over the whole head, what vol peroxide would I use and where?

Am I right in saying I should start with putting 20 vol at the back, changing to 30 vol when I get to the crown, finishing with 40 vol at the top? :eek:

Thanks everyone!

Yes definitely If you don't have access to a basin. The back will be on for much longer so need a lower peroxide. Alternatively you can wash out each row seperately although can be awkward at home x

Start with 10 at back and go no higher than 30 I normally use just 10 and 20 x

In the salon I use 30 vol throughout, and carefully wash off the back when it needs it.
In the home, depending on the hair, I will start with 10vol or 20vol at the back and go no higher than 30 vol at the top. Some people are quite happy to use 40 vol but you will get a better lift with 30vol and less damage. And I never use additional heat with my foils especially with bleach.

Yeah maybe not 40vol but definitely start lower x

It's so confusing because I am using Wella Blondor and the instructions say that depending on the degree of lightening, mix with 20vol (6%), 30vol (9%) or 40vol (12%) but then goes onto say "The lower the peroxide strength, the gentler the lightening process". :Scared:

Ok I'd you use lower it will give you less damage and a nicer cleaner blonde, if you go with 30 and 40 it shocks the hair, rushes the lifting and you end up with a damaged and under developed colour, start with 10vol or pastel on the back then 20 on the sides and top then wait, yes slightly longer but better result x

Ok I'd you use lower it will give you less damage and a nicer cleaner blonde, if you go with 30 and 40 it shocks the hair, rushes the lifting and you end up with a damaged and under developed colour, start with 10vol or pastel on the back then 20 on the sides and top then wait, yes slightly longer but better result x

Thankyou Bluerinse. That makes a lot of sense. I wish you had been my teacher at college :lol: xx

I'm mobile and usually never use Higher than 6% unless of course hair dark
I would spray and wipe off the back ones and then wait for the top to develop :)

If I was to use a spatula instead of foils, would you need a higher vol peroxide? It's just that the salon where I worked always used 12% on bleach highlights but never used foils, just spatula. :confused:

I'd never use a spatula when doing any highlights as it ends up laying on the hair you don't want coloured.
I'd never use 40vol with bleach as it blasts the hair too quick without much chance of taking. I always use 30vol to give a nice bright blonde and have never experienced damage or poor colour results so I wouldn't rule out using 30vol. However, on lighter hair that doesn't require too much lift I would use a lower strength.
I don't believe in using higher percentages just to rush a colour.

I usually try not to use any higher than 6% the other day I even used 1.9 % at the very back then went on to 6% towards the crown and front, this was because I was doing back to back foils and knew it would take a while and her hair was a base 3 coloured it came up really well xx

Thanks everyone. I love this site! I have learnt soooo much! ;) x

I sometimes start with 1.5%, depending on natural colour of course, and work my way up to 9% on last foils, or 12 if very dark naturally

Latest posts

Back