Bleach + Perm = Disaster???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gorgeousnails

Reaction score
Hey,
I'm creeping in from nail forums!
I'm not a hairdresser in anyway, souly a nail tech - but i was wondering if you could help me atall...
I have bleach on the underside of my hair, and natural brown on top... i have an appointment on friday to get my hair in a spiral perm, which i am really excited about. i have to go in to check that the bleach will be ok on my hair, so i'll pop in tomorrow for that.
but what are the chances that it will react to the bleach and i'll look like a fluffy cotton wool ball!?

Any advice appreciated....

Angel x

Hey,
I'm creeping in from nail forums!
I'm not a hairdresser in anyway, souly a nail tech - but i was wondering if you could help me atall...
I have bleach on the underside of my hair, and natural brown on top... i have an appointment on friday to get my hair in a spiral perm, which i am really excited about. i have to go in to check that the bleach will be ok on my hair, so i'll pop in tomorrow for that.
but what are the chances that it will react to the bleach and i'll look like a fluffy cotton wool ball!?

Any advice appreciated....

Angel x

Hi, it always has on everypack of perm lotion that it is not suitable to perform on bleached / highighted or highly bleached hair

this is why she is probably doing some test pieces
she may very well pop the solution on the lighter parts for the last five mins depending on the test piece results

if your hair is very light in parts with and it has been done with bleach
I personally would not do it
as over time it would just cause breakage
and look very frizzy fluffy and dry , not a good look :cry:

:) hope this helps

as minky says i personally wouldnt do it .
But it really depends on how much bleach there is and how strong the bleach was . Is there any hidden colour?any old hi-lites under the brown ?
what you may find is that the bleached pieces come out straighter - because the hair hasnt the strength to spring up and that even if the perm comes out well , problems such as breakage may occur next time you have the colour done .

i remember going to lisa shepherds when i had over bleached my hair and it was a right mess! she actually told me that she was one of the few hairdressers who would colour someones hair one day and perm it the next but she wouldn't touch my hair with a barge-pole! she is an expert colourist and even she said not many hairdressers would do it so if your hairdresser is not too sure i really would leave it a while unless she is extremely competent:)

Even with a perm that is formulated for bleached hair you are really taking your chances with perming. If you get curl and it is not "FRIED" your curl may not stay. The smart answer is to wait. You don't say how long your hair but i'm betting it is sholder length or more if you are doing a spiral. If it goes bad you may have a neckline cut!

My hair is half way down my back. I had bleached last year, cant remember when though. There is about 4/5 inches grown out. Such a mistake, never going to bleach again, got caught up with the fact that i'm allergic to ppd and wanted something different!

Thanks for your advice, I'm not sure about the salon i'm going to, been in town for two years, they seem nice, but dont know what they are like at perms!

Latest posts

Back