Body piercing.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leah82

Reaction score
Hi guys was wondering if you could help with how & where locally to me I can get training for body piercing. Doing an apprenticeship isn't an option unfortunately. But have been asked by a couple of people wanting body piercing & as I can already do ear piercing thought it would be good to do. Also have an opportunity to go into business with someone who wants a body piercer, a tattooist & I've said I'd be willing to learn!!!!:eek::) Hey I think the two occupations together could compliment each other!!:)

Look forward to hearing from you!!!!

I know a lot of training is done in apprenticeships in body piercing studios. I have also heard of body piercing schools, these sound pricey though.
I'd try searching over the internet or maybe ask a local piercer who may know other ways.

Thanks, the tattooist friend of mine said he would ask someone he used to work with about it, but wondered how I'd get a cert? As he could show me but how would I qualify in it? He does think it shouldn't take too much time to learn as I already know A & P but its just the techniques!! :)

Hi Judy thanks have done, but no answer as yet!! Finger's crossed she'll have so good info for me!! :)

Are my ears burning...? lol
Hiya :)
Now then, where to begin...

First off, getting an apprenticeship in a studio is usually very difficult & competition is fierce.
its a case of:
*knowing the right people (your tattoist friend for example, other piercers/studio's)
*being in the right place (again; studios, as a piercee, model hanger on...lol)
*being prepared to be paid peanuts & start at the bottom, as receptionist, lackey & general 'gopher',
*& having at least a couple of years to devote to that stage.....

There is now some excellent training available in the form of a short course, but its only a matter of a few days training & tuition.
So like nails, a huge amount of practice will be needed before you are a professional, and I truly don't know how you can practice without a mentor present, when the course has fininshed...............?

So even though the training you would recieve on the following link would be of a high standard, I honestly don't know if its actually of any use for a lone ranger...if you get me.
Some of the content within this site may offend some folk!!
Body Piercing Courses & Training Professional Piercing Courses & Advanced Piercing Training by Pierce Artist

I would definately say, give Tracy a call on one of the contact numbers, she does know her stuff.

Best of Luck xxx

P.S:I'll add more tommorow when I get back on.....I'm outta time, lol
HtH's, :)

HI Ruth thanks for that funnily enough I e-mailed Tracy yesterday as came across this site on the net!!! Haven't had a reply yet but need to know cost of course etc.. as it doesn't state on the the site how much which can never be a good thing eg: very expensive!!!!! I was thinking the same as you but just can't spend 2-3 years on an apprenticeship. My tattooist friend does have another tatt mate that does piercing, he was self taught though as way back when like tattooing it was a self taught thing. Has said he would ask him. But don't you need a certificate to do piercing? I know there isn't a regulation on the moment for tattooing & piercing but if I was taught by him wouldn't have a certificate I don't think? All my tatt friend has is a licence, as he was self taught with a little help from other tattooists & told that that's all he needed. Has been a tattooist for over 10years a think now!!

So like nails, a huge amount of practice will be needed before you are a professional, and I truly don't know how you can practice without a mentor present, when the course has fininshed...............?

I suspect, unlike nails you might not get too many volunteers :lol:

It might be worthwhile having a chat with couple of local piercing studios and see what they recommend (i.e. a particular course, apprenticeship etc) and if they can give you any hints and tips on how to get into the industry to help you on your way.

I would think that they would be happy sharing this knowledge with you and welcoming you to their flock.

Marlise

....need to know cost of course etc.. as it doesn't state on the the site how much which can never be a good thing eg: very expensive!!!!!
Phone her instead, if she's not too busy she'll probably have a good long chat with you, but yes, it is expensive!!! lol
I was thinking the same as you but just can't spend 2-3 years on an apprenticeship.
Know what you mean, I did it years before having kids & responsibilities, I don't think I could do it that way now.
My tattooist friend does have another tatt mate that does piercing, he was self taught though as way back when like tattooing it was a self taught thing. Has said he would ask him.
But don't you need a certificate to do piercing? I know there isn't a regulation on the moment for tattooing & piercing but if I was taught by him wouldn't have a certificate I don't think?
If the piercing guy is EXCELLENT at his trade, then he could be an excellent contact, you never know, he might train you up p/t if you work for him......? It helps that he's a friend of a friend.
You dont as yet need a certificate, & you will find that the vast majority of piercers were trained on-site by a fab piercer/mentor, & have'nt a certificate.
Most piercers trade on reputation, & most sensible ppl avoid the rubbish ones. Its not quite like NSS nail bars which litter every street corner, there a relatively few piercers really, so rep counts.
H&S is the key. Licensing is a factor, & essential equipment is another.

If you want to set up as a lone ranger, you have some mega costs to meet first.
Your Vacuum Autoclave (which is an essential req) will cost you upward of £2,000.00 :eek: , & then obviously there all the other stuff too, jewellery, needles, anaesthetic if you want it, clamps, dressings etc. etc. et-flippin-cetra!

So if you were lucky enough & persistent enough to get training & work with a piercer, I think this is your best (& most economical) bet.[/quote]
I suspect, unlike nails you might not get too many volunteers :lol:
You would be surprised M, the only way to become a professional Body Piercer is through Practice & Experience, & lots of it. You dont get that without volunteers.
All of the first piercings I did were on willing non-paying volunteers, closely watched & educated by my mentors.
It might be worthwhile having a chat with couple of local piercing studios and see what they recommend (i.e. a particular course, apprenticeship etc) and if they can give you any hints and tips on how to get into the industry to help you on your way.

I would think that they would be happy sharing this knowledge with you and welcoming you to their flock.
Leah, you could talk to the piercers you know or trust, but you will find that (for various reasons) most establishments are exremely guarded about their trade.
Getting to know them is the first thing really, otherwise the info prob wont be that forthcoming, lol.
It is very helpful that you know some ppl in the 'Body Modification' industry.
Hth's!

BTW Do you see why I ran out of time last night? Theres a lot to say!

Wow what a fab reply Ruth, ok, taking it all in, lol!!! Just been discussing piecing today with my local council & the licence is £150. :eek: The course with Tracy is £800 for 4 days. OMG OMG OMG , lol. So am a bit lost now as to where to go from here as I know I haven't got that sort of money just lying around. But its something I would love to do. :cry: Do you have a certificate Ruth? Can I ask where you trained? Could go down the route of my tattoo friends mate woman at council said I'd just need some sort of letter from him saying I have done training with him. But a certificate would look better. As for now there are no regulations as such but what happens if they do bring some in? Even if I just do ear piercing which I am qualified in the licence is still the same. But as I want to do piercings at home there were more rules & regs, such as sink in the room of treatments & wipe able flooring etc.... well I only have my dinning room & occasional use of the living room. Can't up heave the whole house for this. Think they can over do it a little sometimes though to be honest, I understand H&S but OMG!!! :cry: Nothings every easy. :cry:

Appreticeships can be quite difficult to get, so generally even if you do a body piercing course it can be quite difficult to get the necessary real life experience of actually piercing paying customers. As a training centre one of the things that we had to decide was, were we going to be somewhere that just took the £800 fee and said good bye to the customer, or were we going to try and create an environment that would enable piercers to carry on piercing with us after the course?

We opted for the second and have included an ''Observation Day'' system in to our centre.

''Once you have completed basic piercing training you will have the understanding of the skills and techniques needed to be an expert body piercer. You will probably be very very eager to put your new skills into practice.

The observation days that we offer give you a golden opportunity to spend time in our studio piercing people and watching the day to day running of a working salon. we bring models in for you to gain that valuable experience and to build your portfolio. we keep a record of all your piercings and build a skills development folder. this we believe, will assist you in making your way in the world as a body piercer.''

The majority of our students come back and do 2 days a month with us. It seems to work very well for them..

good luck to u i think i would pass clean out lol .... i would love to be able to do piercing i did the ear course but even that give me the gibbers ...lol :irked: hehehe xxx :hug:

:eek:
OMG Pierce Artist is here! Woo-hoo! :)

Leah, I dont have a certificate to prove my competence in piercing,
This is because I trained in about 1996, in a mega-busy high street studio, & certificates (for piercing) were'nt invented yet!

I suppose I would quite like a cert. but I'm not willing to pay big bucks when I already posess the experience....hmmm, maybe this'll change one day.

You've got the experience and that's what counts..To be quite honest without proper nationwide legislation certificates are actually quite worthless. Companies don't employ certificates they employ talent.

My advise for any new piercer is take a course with a reputable company and then spend the next few years focusing on crafting your skills. Whether that be through an apprentiship or simply piercing your friends.

Simple rule. If you want to be a piercer, you have to pierce. But be aware of the health and safety issues and make sure you have a solid platform from which to grow from..

Latest posts

Back