Botox prescribers

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amy88white

Reaction score
this info is regarding my mum a registered nurse she had trained in botox and done it for a short time the doctor who signed for the botox is no longer available to do so... What's the best route to go down in regards to to buying the product and having it prescribed???

Hello, The NMC and the Department of Health are pretty clear about Nurse Remote Prescribing and the GMC have recently followed suit, which might explain why your mum is struggling to get her scripts signed off.

The only way around this is for her to do her own independent prescribing course at her local university. Its long winded but certainly worth it.

Or pay a Dr who can purchase and order the Botox to do the whole treatment.

Hi,

Independent nurse prescribers are the other option. With the ban of remote prescribing the nurse or doctor would need to do a face to face consultation with the client and write the prescription for your mum. Obviously this would incur a charge but is the only option if your mum can't get onto her prescribing course or as an interim measure.

I am in the Liverpool area and, as an independent nurse prescriber myself can sort this if she hasn't a solution already.

Regards

Nurse prescribers can't order Botox directly from the pharmacy - they have to go through a Doctor or a Dentist.

I am a nurse Px and I order Botox from the pharmacy, I don't need a Dr or a Dentist. I just can't keep stock.

Nurse prescribers can't order Botox directly from the pharmacy - they have to go through a Doctor or a Dentist.

Ashalina you are completely wrong here. Not sure where you got that info from. As a NIP I can prescribe botox and send the prescriptions to my pharmacy (wigmore, med fx etc). The prescriptions are posted following consultation and product is dispensed to my clinic. This is normal practice. No different to prescribing any other medicine we we can quite legally do! What nurses cannot do is hold wholesale stocks of Botox. Completely different to ordering stocks based on named prescriptions.

Hope that clears that up!

Hi,

Yes Ashalina your information is incorrect. Nurse prescribers certainly can order Botox on prescription which is why I suggested that a nurse prescriber can do the face to face consultation with another nurses client.

The part I am unsure about is where nurse prescribers stand professionally if we prescribe for a beauty therapist to administer? Any pearls of wisdom or, even better, advice on where to find the actual facts please?
:lol:

Ask the nmc & Mhra for the official answer re the beauty therapist question. From a Drs perspective prescribing for beauty therapists is inappropriate.

This is incorrect, a nurse prescriber can undertake a consultation, write a prescription and have it dispensed by a pharmacy. They do not have to have an association with either a doctor or a dentist. It is impossible to "order botox directly from a pharmacy", they can only dispense it against a prescription which has been written for a patient. What you may be getting confused over is wholesale botox direct from Allergan, a nurse cannot order such stock but can administer from it if they are within the same legal entity as a doctor.

2. Who is an appropriate practitioner?

A doctor, a dentist or, subject to certain limitations, a nurse or pharmacist independent prescriber or supplementary prescriber. In this document, references to a practitioner mean an appropriate practitioner.

2. Who is an appropriate practitioner?

A doctor, a dentist or, subject to certain limitations, a nurse or pharmacist independent prescriber or supplementary prescriber. In this document, references to a practitioner mean an appropriate practitioner.

As an independent nurse prescriber AKA an appropriate practitioner (regardless of whether you agree or not), I can categorically say that you are taking this out of proportion, doctors are not the ONLY appropriate prescriber. There are legal and ethical prescribers in dentistry and nursing. Doctors are not the only ones who can prescribe botox, if you think this you really should read the guidelines again. This is shown in the public's eye recently because of a doctor who was mis-advising nurses in how they should work. I realise you think only doctors should inject botox, BUT I am afraid you are incorrect and really should be changing your stance in this matter.

The mhra have all the relevant information on their website.

Thanks for that smooth however it was not my opinion as you may have interpreted it but the relevant section extracted from the mhra website.

Thanks for that smooth however it was not my opinion as you may have interpreted it but the relevant section extracted from the mhra website.

As already quoted and replied on another blog, you are incorrect and have misinterpreted their website. Please contact them for clarification if you believe that nurse prescribers are not legally allowed to prescribe botox without a doctor being present.

Hi Ashalina,

You have made your views perfectly clear in that you view doctors as being the only HCPs as being capable of injecting Botox. So how do you assess that your training to administer Botox is any better than that of nurses and /or BTs and are you confident that there are no poorly performing doctors in all specialities out there?
During your medical training you are not shown how to inject Botox for cosmetic purposes, nor are you shown how to write a prescription. In my 22 + years as a nurse i have shown many a junior doctor how to prescribe a medication as well as which one to choose, dosage, frequency etc. So just because you have a medical degree doesn't make you an expert in all aspects of medicine.
How did you become competent in Botox administration? Surely you undertook a similar training course or programme to the one I did? Would you be happy for an orthopaedic consultant who knew little about cosmetic injectables and had never used Botox before inject your face? Of course not.

Your interpretation of the the MHRA guidelines are very selective. Is this because you haven't really read them properly, don't understand them (which could obviously never happen as you are a doctor) or do you think that nurses and BTs are really that dim that we can't read either and are gullible enough to take in what are simply your opinions - not the law or guidelines?

MHRA on Botox;
1. Who can administer these medicines?
They can be:

a. self administered
b. administered by an appropriate practitioner
c. administered by anyone acting in accordance with* the* directions of an appropriate practitioner.

So apart from b., what is your take on a. and c. .????

The NMC would class a nurse who has done a Botox course and has achieved competence an appropriate practitioner. Does the GMC class any old doctor with no specific Botox training as 'appropriate'? I was asked to prescribe Botox for others a number of years ago. I declined as I knew little about Botox. Having done the course and achieved competency and gained experience it is within my scope of practice to prescribe it. Nurse prescribers should only prescribe within their scope of practice and this should stand for doctors and dentists as well, surely?

Below is point 10. From the very same document from MRHA. I don't think it needs any explanation. It is FACT, not mine or anyone else's opinion.

Nurse Independent Prescribers

10.* Can Nurse Independent Prescribers independently prescribe and administer injections for use in cosmetic procedures?

Yes. A Nurse Independent Prescriber can legally prescribe and administer licensed parenteral medicines such as Botox® in cosmetic procedures on his/her own initiative. However, as mentioned above the use of Botox for cosmetic treatment is outside the product’s licensed indications.* Nurse Independent Prescribers may prescribe medicines independently for uses outside their licensed indications (so called ‘off-licence’ or ‘off-label’). They must however, accept professional, clinical and legal responsibility for that prescribing, and should only prescribe ‘off-label’ where it is accepted clinical practice.

Latest posts

Back