Botox

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomtom

Reaction score
I'm doing a bit of reading up on botox as I'd like to have some done. To be honest, a lot of the information I'm finding on the internet is confusing.
If you look at the IHAS guidelines it says beauty therapists should not administer botox but is that actually illegal or just against the guidelines? My friend's sister goes to botox parties all the time- she isn't even 19! I read the age limit for botox is 18 but again is that legal? What would happen if a beauty therapist invites some friends/clients to a salon to have it done? Could the police be called cos they're breaking the law or is it just against guidelines that say you *shouldn't* adminster it.
I know most reputable places wouldn't treat a person under 18 but if they had parental consent would this be on their own head (literally) if they are silly enough to do it.
Sorry for the long post but I just want to know what is legal, what is guidelines or good practice? Confused

Well where do I start? Firstly if a prescriber (doctor, dentist or nurse prescriber) does not physically do a face to face consultation with the client having a treatment done then that goes against their professional guidelines and they can be struck off the register. A doctor cannot do telephone consultations with the client as they cannot physically assess the patient they wish to prescribe for which according to the GMC (their professional body) is a must when prescribing botox.

The IHAS are an agency that has been set up from government funding so the government agree with all that they say in that only doctors, dentists and nurses should inject cosmetic treatments; including fillers. They will report anyone to their professional body who goes against their standards. So this is going to end remote prescribing which is how non prescribing nurses and the few beauty therapists are getting hold of the product. Well either that or they are ordering non authentic toxin from China or some other location. You also need to have appropriate resuscitation means, which as a beauty therapist you would not have.

If anyone, whatever their profession, administers botox or other prescription only medicine without the prescriber assessing the client and a direction to administer has not been written, then this is illegal. The reason for this is that you then become responsible for that prescription (meaning you have written it) and as a non prescriber, you legally cannot do this. What would happpen? You would have to answer to the law which is then punishable by either a large fine and/or prison.

If this vial of botox gets shared between 2 or 3 clients, again this is illegal as it is prescribed on a named patient basis only.

Botox parties are not a good idea, this promotes injecting in a non appropriate environment and this always involved the sharing of vials (which is illegal).

It is unethical to inject someone under 18 and it is really not necessary unless they are a child suffering from cerebal palsy. Toxins (botox etc) have clear product licences, if you inject outside of a product licence then you become accountable for any side effects that client suffers.

I wouldn't inject anyone that young, in fact I wouldn't inject a toxin into anyone under 21 and even then I won't necessarily do it!

There is a bt in the North West who is being investigated at the moment into how she injects botox and the accusations are very serious. The medicine regulatory body, IHAS and the government agencies will not tolerate unsafe, unprofessional practice that is carried out by someone not adequately trained and by that I don't mean attending a one day botox course as this is a certificate not a qualification. Trained by all these agencies means a trained health professionals, doctor, dentist or nurse prescriber. The IHAS won't even register paramedics or prescribing pharmacists who inject flu vaccines!!!!

So hopefully this answers your questions and you are now clear on guidelines and law associated with this area.

PS. If you go outside of the law, this invalidates your insurance policy so any claims will have to be paid by you.

Thanks, really helps. :)

Thanks, really helps. :)

People do generally think that they can easily inject without repercussions but this is not the case, you will not be told this by training companies.

Too right. My friend says her sister is done by a beauty therapist who is fully insured to do it. She said she was trained in the midlands and this guy trains them if they prove they have a doctor to get it on prescription.

My friend says her sister is done by a beauty therapist who is fully insured to do it.

What's the name of the insurance company??

Oh sorry- don't know. Can a company offer it though and then refuse to pay out if something goes wrong?

An insurance company will make your policy null and void if any illegal practise is carried out so yes they can refuse to pay out leaving the therapist to pay out for any claim.

This practice really should be left to the professionals. We dont like unqualified people meddling in our profession, so why would or should, we be dabbling in this field? I think this is a no go area, and not worth the trouble of trying it!:mad:

I'm doing a bit of reading up on botox as I'd like to have some done. To be honest, a lot of the information I'm finding on the internet is confusing.
If you look at the IHAS guidelines it says beauty therapists should not administer botox but is that actually illegal or just against the guidelines? My friend's sister goes to botox parties all the time- she isn't even 19! I read the age limit for botox is 18 but again is that legal? What would happen if a beauty therapist invites some friends/clients to a salon to have it done? Could the police be called cos they're breaking the law or is it just against guidelines that say you *shouldn't* adminster it.
I know most reputable places wouldn't treat a person under 18 but if they had parental consent would this be on their own head (literally) if they are silly enough to do it.
Sorry for the long post but I just want to know what is legal, what is guidelines or good practice? Confused

So are you the undercover journalist then?

There's a journalist on here fishing for things to do with botox training, this thread just seems to be quite a strange list of things to be asking. No worries!

Latest posts

Back