Braces - IPR-Inter Proximal Reduction?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rachirv

Reaction score
Hi guys.
Just wondered if anyone on here has had braces fitted and had to have ipr done? I'm due to get my 6 month smiles braces fit on the 10th October and I've been told that I will need to have this ipr done to create more space for my teeth.
I am absolutly petrified and that is putting it mildly. I'm dreading it. I have sensitive teeth any ways and the thought of them drilling my teeth with no anaesthetic is killing me. I've watched countless YouTube videos which has only made it worse haha.
Has anyone got any experience with this?
Many thanks
Rachel x

My dentist wanted to do this to me so I could have invisalign. In the end I decided against it as I didn't want the unnecessary damage on my teeth and went with normal braces. The friend that recommended me to that dentist had it done and said the actual procedure wasn't painful. Sorry if that's not very helpful :/ Also when I had my braces fitted my dentist was able to start my treatment and then I reviewed the results part way through to decide if I wanted any teeth removing. Maybe ask if you can start your treatment and decide about the IPR later.

Sorrry for butting in but what is IPR?

Im also looking to have braces on (again after having them 4 years 😩) and have never heard of this?

It's where they file tiny bits (0.1, 0.2mm) of enamel off the side of some of your teeth where there is overcrowding. There's no damage at all to the teeth and it only takes a couple of seconds but I'm petrified. It's done instead of extracting a tooth to make more room for the teeth to move. Because the teeth are only moving a couple of mm each, it means il only have the brace on for 6-9 months :)

It's where they file tiny bits (0.1, 0.2mm) of enamel off the side of some of your teeth where there is overcrowding. There's no damage at all to the teeth and it only takes a couple of seconds but I'm petrified. It's done instead of extracting a tooth to make more room for the teeth to move. Because the teeth are only moving a couple of mm each, it means il only have the brace on for 6-9 months :)

Wow that actually sounds really good! Don't know how I haven't heard of this before. Sounds like a good solution rather than them taking out teeth left right and centre because they obviously aren't gonna come back!

I had braces on for 4 years and after that wore my retainer 24/7 for almost 2 years until I got a stomach bug for 2 days and obviously had to have it out..after that my retainer wouldn't budge and my orthodontist didn't wanna hear it and so here I am again worse off than before!

Wud i were you I would Definately do it, don't think of how unpleasant it might be just think of it as being a lot better than having teeth out 😊and 6-9 will fly!

I had 6 month smiles about a year ago. I had the filing and it wasn't sore just has a horrible sound in your head if you get me!

My very front teeth were a little sore but even flossing them hurts!

6 month smiles are good at straightening but they are a cosmetic type of brace so they aren't that good for people who have "structural" needs!

Yes my daughter has been having Invisalign for the last 6 months.She spent most of her teenage years in braces on the nhs but never wore her retainers so is now paying for straight teeth again .I did tell her :).
I'm not going to lie she hates the filing and says it hurts.The last time she had it,it made her teeth very sensitive for a few days.I have no sympathy she should have worn her retainers.

They are filing the enamel off your teeth, any dentist who says there is no damage is lying. Once the enamel is gone it can't heal itself. Personally I would rather have one or two teeth out that I wont miss than have a lot more damaged. Some dentists say the damage is worth the benefits but I have never heard any say there is no damage. I find it really terrible that they would try to make people believe that. It's your mouth and I wouldn't push my opinions onto anyone else but I wouldn't do it.

They are not filing right through the enamel though

I am going ahead with the brace, I have full trust in my dentist. I've been going to him all my life and he is amazing to be honest. A dentist wouldn't be allowed to do a procedure that would damage teeth. I was just curious to see how people found the procedure itself :)

Sounds brilliant, I had 6 teeth removed and braces for 2 years - then my wisdom teeth came through and pushed everything back to where it was! My bottom teeth are all overlapped and look terrible. Totally not worth the pain I had for 2 years!

I would do it if it gives you the results you want.

I'm currently on the waiting list for massive surgery I will have a fixed brace for 2 years then surgery to move my jaw as it's not in the correct position and then braces for 6 months after. It's a 2 yr waiting list and then a 2 1/2 yr treatment. I'd love a bit of filing and braces instead.

I just think what's the point in wearing braces for 2 yrs and missing a step which could bake a massive difference.

Good luck x

. A dentist wouldn't be allowed to do a procedure that would damage teeth.

Nearly all cosmetic dentists do veneers which damage natural teeth. I also never said they filed right through the enamel but they are filing part of it off which is damage. I wish you all the best with your treatment.

I wore a brace for about 2.5 years it can be a little painful at times well worth i though but as someone else has said about wisdom teeth coming through mine have and my teeth have moved slightly. Some people wear retainers at night o think it's a good idea I which I could wear one to straighten mine again.

I wore a brace for about 2.5 years it can be a little painful at times well worth i though but as someone else has said about wisdom teeth coming through mine have and my teeth have moved slightly. Some people wear retainers at night o think it's a good idea I which I could wear one to straighten mine again.

Are you going to have the wisdom teeth out? Might stop them pushing the other teeth 😊

My wisdom teeth are not fully through and I don't think they take them out do they unless there painful I'll have to mention to my dentist

My wisdom teeth are not fully through and I don't think they take them out do they unless there painful I'll have to mention to my dentist

A private dentist will most definitely remove them for you if they think it will affect your previous orthodontic work.

I used a private dentist in London and had a brace on the back of my top teeth for 9 months, which has now been off for 2 years. Before I had my brace they did x rays to see if I actually had wisdom teeth and told me they will remove them as soon as they show any sign of coming through to stop them moving my other teeth, as my jaw is 2cm narrower than it should be.

My dentist is German and told me it is pretty standard in Europe for teens to have their wisdom teeth out before they even have their braces fitted.

Sorry OP I didn't have IPR so can't comment on that but step away from
YouTube ☺️, it will only make you more nervous!

Latest posts

Back