Brats???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VHunter

Reaction score
Alrighty then... I've been absent for quite a while and I'm feeling guilty for it.
Trying to get back into the swing of things.

Really, I want to be positive, and be helpful. I'm looking for threads to 'help' on where answers weren't given yet.
BUT

WHERE DID ALL THE BRATS come from?

Was it always like this? I mean, I do recall the occasional spat and/or troll that needed to be put in it's place. Typical of any forum.
But I also remember having more questions to answer, and thought provoking discussions that were POSITIVE.

Everywhere I look there is whining and crying about "sarcasm" and 'wa wa she was rude to me" and crying about "I don't feel welcome":rolleyes:

Is it the new generation? So spoiled that GOD FORBID anyone give them constructive criticism to HELP them. They've been so pampered into having everything THEIR way and they're always right so OMG someone actually set them straight?

And everyone is looking for 'shortcuts', and we ALL KNOW what that means. Shortcuts inevitably mean FAILURE. Among other things......

As was pointed out in one thread "You get out of it what you PUT into it".

SO if your suspect that your post is likely to provoke someone, then kindly EDIT your words and be CONSTRUCTIVE as opposed to CONFRONTATIONAL.

IF you're seeking advice, then accept what is given. You asked for straight answers, YOU GOT THEM. Just because you don't like the answers, doesn't make them wrong or sarcastic or rude.

RUDE is not showing appreciation for the advice given.

And seriously, if you're posting a thread just to whine about 'Geeks'... save us the grief and either blog it, or SHUT UP. YES I'M BEING RUDE HERE!

I think people are taking things to personally of late. I do not agree with the "personal" insults, it is completely outrageous and unnecessary. I had a similar thing when i openly asked for views on my work (makeup application) and it turned into a saga about my models not being pretty enough which wasnt what i asked. I think a few bottom lips need to be sucked in. As for the personal character bashing it's verging on bulling!

ha i love it now ure back , its so nice to read your threads , lol ..i aint been about much lately moving twice since moving to canada:D has sorta messed up my geeky time but am trying to get back into it now ,
look forward to seeing ya about more hun x

Sadly the ones who should be reading this probably wont, or else they still wont learn from it because they are incapable of seeing the point.

Why we are pandering to it on the other threads I can't imagine. All the why don't you stay, stick around , please don't go etc. Why are we pandering to ones who only want to use the site and give nothing or else won't listen until someone validates the decisions they have already made or else move into a community and immediately start bitching about bullying which anyone with half a brain who reads the relevant posts can see has not happened at all.

I would say, yes, OK, right, if that's the way you feel then off you go. Toodles.

There are plenty of serious minded people who actuallly want to learn from the experienced and don't behave like the 'brats' at all. TG

I had a similar thing when i openly asked for views on my work (makeup application) and it turned into a saga about my models not being pretty enough which wasnt what i asked.

I quite agree. In fact I'd go as far as saying that your portfolio is probably a lot more representative of the results achievable with make-up on ordinary people as opposed to outstandingly beautiful models - which is a very good thing in my opinion.

Completely understand what you are saying. People are saying stick around, yes myself included, because i think 1 post in particular is completely misinterpretting peoples answers by adding emotion to the answers and by staying around she will eventually learn this. BUT no skin off my nose if she chooses to go, she will regret it!

This is also why i said about the 10yr old nail thing thread should get pulled as it went way off thread and was quite harsh about peoples personal parenting skills and was quite vicious which i think was verging on bullying if people hadnt have gone to bed and slept on it.

I hope im not deemed a BRAT because i defended my models and the type of pics i put up because at the end of the day i hadnt asked opinions of my models, just my work and it went off thread like the above ones.

I am definetly in the camp of wanting to learn and will keep reading, reading, reading!!!

Sadly the ones who should be reading this probably wont, or else they still wont learn from it because they are incapable of seeing the point.

Why we are pandering to it on the other threads I can't imagine. All the why don't you stay, stick around , please don't go etc. Why are we pandering to ones who only want to use the site and give nothing or else won't listen until someone validates the decisions they have already made or else move into a community and immediately start bitching about bullying which anyone with half a brain who reads the relevant posts can see has not happened at all.

I would say, yes, OK, right, if that's the way you feel then off you go. Toodles.

There are plenty of serious minded people who actuallly want to learn from the experienced and don't behave like the 'brats' at all. TG

I quite agree. In fact I'd go as far as saying that your portfolio is probably a lot more representative of the results achievable with make-up on ordinary people as opposed to outstandingly beautiful models - which is a very good thing in my opinion.

Thank you. Atleast there is 1 person out there who believes in what i believe in. I WILL NOT crumble to peer pressure hee hee :D

i don't think posts like this are going to help anybody out to be honest. surely this is one of them blog type posts?

of course like ruth once said nobody wants to see rio argos beauty equipment being used and that is why professionals should be educating those that come on here with their argos equipment/get rich quick schemes, not completly ripping into them but pointing them in the right direction so that they too can become fabulous professionals. surely being polite (that doesn't mean you have to be all like hug hug kiss kiss) and explaining to them the dangers/problems with not being properly trained etc. or atleast saying something about how the thread has been posted many many times before so it would be worth doing a search for it so you don't miss out on the info/advice given would be far better? surely that would make any new members who don't know where to start and think rio at argos is a good place to start or the 1 day courses are great value think better of this site rather than ruling it out? it'd be an awful shame for professionals with advice to share and experiences to pass on to see all the drama and follow up posts like this and be put off the site.x

To Miss Confused:
Nope, not a blog type post as there IS a message to deliver. At least imo, it's not. And trust me, if this WAS one of my blogs.. I'd have MUCH more to say about it, and I wouldn't have been as polite as I have been :D

To everyone,
thanks for your input. You're probably right. Those that are guilty may miss the message entirely, but one can always hope.

My message has always been "If you dont like it here, no one is holding you hostage and don't let the door smack ya in the A** on your way out".
I call it like it I see it BUT I do try to remain polite about it, as best as I can. At the very least, I don't resort to personal attacks and insults.

As for the "personal" attacks.... can't say as I'm too pleased about those either. It's shameful that mature people can't discuss things without getting personal.

What happened to "let's agree to disagree and still be friends"??
Because FRIENDS don't talk to each other in the fashion that I'm seeing on the forums.

We're all Friends here. Let's act like it.
:hug:

Well it was a great day when I discovered this site, it has helped me enormously, to have expert opinions available every time I ask a question. Being in business is lonely, and now I have a 'family' that I can turn to or help and I for one am only glad to learn from others.:D

To Miss Confused:
Nope, not a blog type post as there IS a message to deliver. At least imo, it's not. And trust me, if this WAS one of my blogs.. I'd have MUCH more to say about it, and I wouldn't have been as polite as I have been :D

To everyone,
thanks for your input. You're probably right. Those that are guilty may miss the message entirely, but one can always hope.

My message has always been "If you dont like it here, no one is holding you hostage and don't let the door smack ya in the A** on your way out".
I call it like it I see it BUT I do try to remain polite about it, as best as I can. At the very least, I don't resort to personal attacks and insults.

As for the "personal" attacks.... can't say as I'm too pleased about those either. It's shameful that mature people can't discuss things without getting personal.

What happened to "let's agree to disagree and still be friends"??
Because FRIENDS don't talk to each other in the fashion that I'm seeing on the forums.

We're all Friends here. Let's act like it.
:hug:

I know I don't know you, but just thought I'd say I like your way of thinking, call a spade a spade!
I think the said person is very arrogant, and needs to mature a little bit! Tad bit too defensive for me!

Agree with what you are saying. I (shamefully) many years ago did a week course in full nail technician... did i walk away knowing it all and feel like a pro... hell no! I had alot of troubleshooting and problems and there was no support after. You need to practice, practice, practice.... go to a GOOD school/educator/course etc... and read all you can on here to understand argos products are a no,no and you should go to a recognised retailer. I wish they would ban these 1 day workshops, it really does take much more!

I did a set on a newish friend the other week and all she kept saying was "oh when i go to the vietnamese/cantonese salons, they do this and they do that and why dont you use a drill its much quicker" and "ive booked a day course in 2 months, im going to argos to get my kit" etc... etc.. by the end of the nails, i couldn't listen to her anymore and kept telling her what you know is not correct but she wouldnt have it. She also complained i took 1hr45mins instead of her usual 45 minutes. I won't be treating her again.

Atleast on here people can read and learn this!!!

I do agree with Missconfused ... it would be a shame if newbs were put off by seeing the odd thread about missunderstanding and disagreements .... especially as it is brought to the forefront by a couple of wingers who want to register and then immediately attack the members on the site ... BELIEVE ME ,,, it is not representative of the things that most newbs experience ... it depends on THE atitude of the poster/s and whether or not they want to come here just to cause trouble or to get attention whilst hiding behind the annonimity of a computer screen.

Some people go through life feeling hard done to ... it comes out in every sphere of their lives .. even on websites. "Poor little me" makes those with that personality always feel hard done to even when others are trying to help. THEIR problem .. it is not something that is too prevalent on Salongeek ................. thank God. It only takes one person to "ride it to death" and keep going on and on posting their grievances to sour many posts.

Thank you. Atleast there is 1 person out there who believes in what i believe in. I WILL NOT crumble to peer pressure hee hee :D

Make that two! :)

I think people are taking things to personally of late. I do not agree with the "personal" insults, it is completely outrageous and unnecessary. I had a similar thing when i openly asked for views on my work (makeup application) and it turned into a saga about my models not being pretty enough which wasnt what i asked. I think a few bottom lips need to be sucked in. As for the personal character bashing it's verging on bulling!

Slightly off the subject, but meant to comment the other day. Got to admit I didn't think anything about your models except that their transformations looked great. I have so many people come into my work so so conscious of their bodies, their feet, their facial features but to me they are a client and I try not to judge or generally don't think to myself "oh she looks this, she looks that". I think it is great that you used normal real people.

Well it was a great day when I discovered this site, it has helped me enormously, to have expert opinions available every time I ask a question. Being in business is lonely, and now I have a 'family' that I can turn to or help and I for one am only glad to learn from others.:D

I too think it was a great day when I found this site. It has been such a great help to me coming into this later in life with regard to help with treatments and real opinions on products etc.

I think sometimes as we know reading things we can take things a little to heart. I know someone commented on some advice I gave the other week and said it was bad advice basically and I easily found myself drawn into a reply which was probably unnecessary and pointless but I just left it at the one and that was it.

I will probably get shot down for saying so but I do sometimes feel on this site though that if you do comment on threads you can sometimes unnecesarily be shot down which is a shame because I'm sure it means a lot more people are lurkers as opposed to joining in.

I know that it was my comments referred to on the makeup picture thread. We were asked for opinions, I gave mine.

Some of us will bring kindness and caring to this site, some will bring realism, some will bring ideas and creativity. I will give hard nosed business and commercial advice.

I have no problem with anyone wishing to disagree, or see things from a different viewpoint. Most of the time I try and post from a COMMERCIAL point of view, as I feel this is an area where I can be most helpful.

As for brats, be an employer!!!! Ye gods, I can tell you plenty about brats!

I think perhaps some are thin-skinned. What is often viewed as 'put-downs' is just simple 'straight from the hip' solid advice OR opinions.

And Opinions are like A-holes... everyone's got one LMFAO sorry, couldn't help myself there hahahahaha

I think those that whine and fuss when they are new here need to take stock, stop and think.
They don't know the personalities, and so don't know their writing styles.

Communication in ONLY the written word leaves a GREAT DEAL to the imagination (lack of expressions, tones, gestures... and sometimes short on words for those that can't type 90wpm like myself... so they take a shortcut and get to the point)

RULE OF THUMB: DON'T ASSUME.
When in doubt about someone's meaning or what not.. ASK A QUESTION.
Do NOT presume to think that you KNOW they are being mean or whatever.....
Ask them "did you mean.... blah blah OR blah blah?"

But honestly... I'm tired of the crybabies with "poor pitiful me" attitudes who are taking potshots at very GENEROUS and LOVING people. AND I'VE ONLY BEEN BACK TWO DAYS!! yoikes!

Even when I was new on the site, I don't recall being prone to whining "poor me" (although I gave Geeg and a member or two a headache with my arguments until I learned their "personal tones" LOL).

My point of this thread, though, was to WAKE UP some people who are behaving like spoilt children in need of 'quiet time'.

THIS IS A VALUABLE SITE.
This is a site full of GENEROUS and WONDERFUL people.
Take advantage of all the wondrous things that Geeks can teach you IF you have a mind to pursue this PROFESSIONALLY with TRAINING.

BUT if you're going to act like a spoilt child, do NOT be surprised if someone comes along and disciplines you like one.

I do thinks there is and has been some brats on here! I remember when I first joined the site recommended to me by my tutor izzidoll :D I was so (& still am) greatful for all the help & advice from people that have been in the industry for many years I would say I pretty much owe my career to SG and all the great peeps on here! Just a real shame the newbies do not all realise this well there loss.....
I would not have dared had a spat! but then I'm not like that in general! lol
I kindly pointed out to someone once we were not here to do their homework & got shot down in flames! jeeeso! lol
I do tend not to get involved in nasty posts from people or I may lose it completely, I'm pretty laid back but once I blow I'm like the tazmanian devil :lol: xx

Latest posts

Back