BRAVE DAY-attempt at comp style nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carend

Reaction score
Well I didn't really know what to do for this brave day but after seeing Sandi's gorgeous nails earlier i thought i'd have a go with UV Gel, even tho i have no intentions of competing-just thought why not!!!Lol
Here are the pics-i know they aren't great i think i needed more of an apex but still getting to grips with that one
What do u think?I'm a big girl(literally) i can take the criticism!Lol:green: :hug:

Hey - Great work! However, for comp nails, the nails need to be dead square so you wouldn't bring in the sidewalls just as much. Also they would need to be pinched to give a great 'c' curve. You do lovely smiles and I am sure you will do very well in comps - go girl! Well done!

Hey - Great work! However, for comp nails, the nails need to be dead square so you wouldn't bring in the sidewalls just as much. Also they would need to be pinched to give a great 'c' curve. You do lovely smiles and I am sure you will do very well in comps - go girl! Well done!

Ahhhh thanks Chris!I'm really chuffed now-wasn't sure if the smiles were deep enough...didn't know that about the sidewalls tho-guess i will know for next time!!!:green:
How would u go about the pinching when using tips?and i guess using gel if u were sculpting u would just pinch in the form more than usual?
I love doin this type of nail although i know its not a practical one-its nice to have a play with the bionic hand every now and then!:lol:
Thanks for your pointers-muchly appreciated!:hug: xxxx

You can pinch a tipped nal provided that the tip has been debulked so that it is wafer thin and then it's less likely to spring back.....I wouldn't do it on a salon nail though....just a comp tip overlay....JMHO

Great work...missed brave day again as I was on a course.

ahhhh thanks for that!thought it may crack if u pinched it.....
Thanks again!xxxx

Lol just re-read, you used gel, so you can't pinch.....however, for competitions you can work with your tips and boiling water to put a deeper c-curve into them before you apply, or even before you go to the comp as you have to have a box of at least 100 tips....I don't know if this would work with natural tips as I've only heard about this being done with white tips.

You drop them into the boiling water to soften them and then pinch in a deeper C while they cool down and the curve stays in there.

ooh that sounds like fun!Lol
Didn't know u could use white tips in comps...

You can't unless the rules say you can....you could at the first Nailympics they held in London but I think they changed that for the second one this year.

Thats a FAB tip- I am not familiar with competition tricks, and am thinking about doing a couple next year- thanks for that!

Lol just re-read, you used gel, so you can't pinch.....however, for competitions you can work with your tips and boiling water to put a deeper c-curve into them before you apply, or even before you go to the comp as you have to have a box of at least 100 tips....I don't know if this would work with natural tips as I've only heard about this being done with white tips.

You drop them into the boiling water to soften them and then pinch in a deeper C while they cool down and the curve stays in there.

All I was going to say was deepen your smile line, sharpen your square, and deepen the c-curve lol. Guess Im on the bandwagon :)

Thankyou too Heather!:hug:
I will take all these tips on board!
I'm miles away from anywhere near competing at the moment but its nice to think i may b able too one day after some decent training!xxxxx

Fab for your first try :D... I agree with what's been said already so won't repeat.
I'm pleased you felt inspired by my earlier attempt, that's what it's all about :hug:

thanks sandi!!!maybe i'll have the courage to try sculpting 1 or 2 later....

wow look at those smiles !!!!!! very crisp and very clear well donexx
I'd get another model for the comps though hun xx

Well done Hun - these look fab!

Because I'm so late getting here today.... everyone's said all there is to say.

So, I'll leave it at congrats and good job, well done :Grope: :hug:

wow look at those smiles !!!!!! very crisp and very clear well donexx
I'd get another model for the comps though hun xx
Ha ha ha ha ha!!! Haven't stopped laughing for bout 5 mins!! LMAO as Heather would say!

Lol thanks everyone-specially clara for cracking me up!!!
Just have to thank my trainer gina wallace with her lovely hair for not teaching me smile lines and for making me want more than just natural nails!!Hee hee:lol:
No but serious;y i wanna thank all u geeks for inspiring me to create beautiful things!!!
One day i may take myself seriously enough to practice for a comp on a real person not just my bionic hand!rofl
Have a sculpted nail to upload later too-my 1st using a performance form,bit late for brave day but better late than never!:green:
Thanks again everyone for their kind words!!!:hug: :hug: :hug:

Latest posts

Back