Breast cancer contraindications?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becca@PolishedToPerfection

Reaction score
Just had a lovely lady ring me and she wants to book herself and her daughter in for a pedicure. She told me her daughter has breast cancer and we wants to treat her so I've booked her in for a vinylux pedicure. Is the fact that she has breast cancer going to affect anything? Would it affect shellac or acrylics or anything if she asks? Just want to do my research so I know all about it when she comes for her appointment! Xx

Sent from my Lenovo B8000-F using SalonGeek mobile app

You'll need a note from her doctor to say it's okay to proceed with the treatment, and I wouldn't massage as it can spread cancerous cells. (I know you said she has breast cancer but it's better to be safe than sorry after all) x

You'll need a note from her doctor to say it's okay to proceed with the treatment, and I wouldn't massage as it can spread cancerous cells. (I know you said she has breast cancer but it's better to be safe than sorry after all) x

Will I? I'm just doing a normal pedicure so there won't be any massage. Can I ask why I'll need a note from her doctor? X

It's for insurance purposes :) just to be sure it's entirely safe to be treating her, and to cover your own back if needs be x

Are you just doing a file and polish or full pedi? She may have sensitive skin so check for that and also check that her meds or treatment havent affected her nails at all, some women are prone to fungal infections and onycholysis during treatment whereas others have no such reaction at all.

I think I'd prefer to stick with a file and polish, maybe add on soak and lotion if that's what she wants but for just that you wouldn't need to request a Drs note x

Just to add - some post chemo drugs affect the heart so if she's taking anything like that (she will know) then definitely avoid any massage.

It will just be cuticle work and polish no soak or massage or anything x

I doubt you would need a note for that. But you could give your ins company a ring just to double check and put your mind at ease :) xx

You wont need a doctors note for a mini pedi. Depending on what stage she is at with her treatment, as mentioned she may experience onycholysis. I think as therapists, with all the T&C's regarding insurance we can become overly cautious. I think its important to really focus on client care. Yes, you may have to adapt certain treatments but as long as she leaves feeling good about her self that's all that matters. Do you really need to go through all the ins and outs. (I'm not at all directing this at you OP, just making a general comment from what i've seen in other threads.) I think as long as a consultation form is filled out and you know all the relevant information you can use your common sense to adjust treatments where needed without bringing it to her attention that you cant do something because she has cancer.

When i worked in a spa, i regularly had ladies in for massage with cancer, with a signed doctors note to say that it was ok to go ahead with treatment. Something i strongly disagreed with.

One of my lovely friends is going through extremely harsh chemo at the moment and I Shellac and rockstar her toes.

The doctor said it is best to have dark colours applied to protect them from the sun. Luckily her toes are in great condition and no nails have come off and its just her hands that have been affected

Polish should be fine aslong as you check for any contraindications

Xx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I think as long as a consultation form is filled out and you know all the relevant information you can use your common sense to adjust treatments where needed without bringing it to her attention that you cant do something because she has cancer.

If you carry out a treatment and anything goes wrong, you have it in writing that you knew the client was contra indicated and you did the treatment anyway.

Also, if she's in remission and has a relapse she can blame you as you are not "cancer free" until you're 6 years past and if she does you won't have a leg to stand on.

Not trying to scare you, just letting you know why Drs notes are so important
Xxxx

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. What I was trying to say, is we don't need to continuously bring attention to the fact the client has cancer. You need the consultation filled out regardless, but if she's asking for a pedi your not going to cause harm by painting her nails. Be aware he feet will be sensitive so don't remove hard skin but maybe apply a foot mask. Don't do cuticle work but apply cuticle oil. Anyone with common sense knows not to massage someone with cancer but as I say, I've had numerous doctors notes saying that the client is fine to go ahead with the deep tissue massage she has booked in. I've still refused. I don't think they even consider what they're signing for.

I have an observation with this doctors note issue. .has any client ever been able to obtain one? Unless it is just my area the doctors will not write notes advising that a service is harmless regardless of what it is.

A little of topic sorry.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'd like to just add something about providing massage for people who have been diagnosed with cancer. In this industry both educators and insurance companies have us terrified that massage is going to spread cancer around to other parts of the body, or will bring someone out of remission or make them even more ill. This is actually the opposite of what the medical profession and those in cancer care and hospice care promote! They are well aware that the benefits of massage hugely outweigh any risk it may pose to cancer patients.

I currently volunteer for a hospice, but have previously worked with other support organisations too and am working mainly with non terminal patients who are currently undergoing treatment and I mostly provide massage services. Think of the support services such as MacMillan, they all offer massage to their patients because it can help with pain relief, stress management, well being, relief from the day to day focus on the cancer. It has MASSIVE benefits. In the 7 years or so that I have worked, on a regular basis, with cancer patients, the only times we are not allowed to offer massage is when the patient is taking a certain drug which can cause heart irregularities.

Now I know that when working in beauty we have to be bound by what our insurance stipulates, as we should - but please if you have a client who has sought out a drs note which satisfies your insurance provider please please don't refuse them because you are then not only putting the fear and control back in the hands of the cancer but you're denying them a hugely pleasurable and beneficial treatment :hug:

Last edited:
I have an observation with this doctors note issue. .has any client ever been able to obtain one? Unless it is just my area the doctors will not write notes advising that a service is harmless regardless of what it is.

A little of topic sorry.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

When I worked in a spa it was in the T&C's that clients undergoing treatment require a doctors note. All medical issues would be discussed at booking and then they would be asked to provide a doctors note upon arrival. These 'notes' just stated ' I *doctors name* consent to *clients name* having * treatment* and that was it.

Personally, now I work in a salon, if a client with cancer came to me and requested a massage (we do have a few regular ladies undergoing/in remission) I just ask them to check with their consultant rather than a GP. I agree with you pure, when my aunt was in a hospice I regularly went in to give her massages. I think more info should be passed on to therapists and insurance companies regarding the benefits of massage for cancer patients. I still would not perform a deep tissue massage/sports massage. It's a shame that we have to be so tied by insurance companies.

Can I just start by saying massage does not spread cancer!

I work within the oncology and heamotology wards within a hospital and every day I carry out massage on patients that have cancer going through chemotherapy and radiotherapy.

However there are specific ways you carry out the massage especially for those patients that have had lymph nodes removed. The cancer may go into remission but the lymph nodes never grow back!

Chemotherapy is not kind to the nail bed and lots of people eventually lose there nails or they become very thin. Using a UV lamp to cure is not advisable as some chemo's are phototoxic. A led lamp is much better but only if the nail itself is strong enough to allow for this.

While doing cuticle work I wouldn't use nippers and it is imperative to ensure all tools used are sterilised using a glass bead steriliser or autoclave as the immune system will be very low and could cause infection which could jeopardise the next chemo session. I would also use fresh files for the client and foot files etc.

I hope this helps and doesn't sound pushy just trying to give some advice.

For those who would like to know more there are some great CPD courses about adapting different treatments for someone with cancer. The Christie in Manchester run regular courses for massage, aromatherapy, reflexology etc to enable you to be confidently work with people living with cancer.

Some great advice.
I have had clients who have managed to get doctors notes, but often find consultants a lot more supportive.
I have treated many terminally ill clients and am honoured that they seek a treatment with me.
To the OP - use your judgement. I'm not sure how someone proves that their pedicure made their cancer worse. Hygiene is obviously extremely important - but then it is anyway!

Vicki x

Kezcows, I'm currently undergoing treatment for Lymphoma and have been advised by my haemato-oncologist not to have massage. I would benefit greatly from the relax purposes of massage as its something I've always enjoyed. Is this something you would agree with? Not that I would go against what I've been told-but just out of interest. I've also been using Gelish on my nails with no problems. At a time when all my hair has fallen out and I feel rubbish most of the time, having lovely (glittery of course) nails makes feel feminine. Also my nails really sparkle in the bathroom, so even when I'm chucking up amd gripping the loo, sparkly nails can take the edge of it being so pants!!

Latest posts

Back