Bride requesting occasional makeup service instead of bridal

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You might not be a pain on the day baggybear, but this client could.

The whole point of the trial is so that the bride can try different makeup styles and see wether they like the artists work on their face.

God forbid the op did the makeup and the client didn't like it and started crying, then what would she do? What would she do if the client doesn't know what she wants and starts demanding multiple looks and gets upset or stress and takes it out on her? It's very hard to wave a disclaimer at someone then especially as they don't stand up in court.

I have been doing weddings for 14 years and I can tell you that no matter how laid back a bride appears to be, god help anyone who doesn't appear to going out of their way to make them look perfect on their wedding or doesn't live up to their expectations.

I can guarantee that no matter how big or small a brides wedding is, they all want their expectations met, no matter how much or how little they have paid.

You might not be a pain on the day baggybear, but this client could.........
But is this not true of ALL clients not just brides.

If you do a propper consultation then you should know that what your going to do is right for the client & if your not sure you check at each step so you don't get to the end and get a shocked client who cries.

Just because this person is getting married doesn't mean she is going to be a pain. It seems to me that there are many very judgemental therapists out there, who tarnish all brides with the same brush.

As I said above, I wouldn't want to have a trial as I would trust that the therapist would use her professional knowledge to guide me & advise me of what would be the best thing to suit me & my outfit for the day. I would expect that from any make up artist for any occasion I was attending so please do tell me why I should pay more for a different service than I'd want?

I'd want my make up done for a special occasion, I wouldn't want the trial, I wouldn't want retouching through the day, I wouldn't want hours of the make up artists time, just do my make up so I look nice for the day & leave. I thought that was quite a simple ask, but it seems not if it is for a wedding :rolleyes:. I will remember NOT to say it's my wedding if I ever do get married again because I'll be thought bad of just for wanting to book a service that I feel is suitable :Scared:.

I didn't say all bridal clients are pain or that I approach every job thinking this , I just she COULD be pain.

Personally I do an in depth consultation and questionnaire with client so that things like expectations, colours etc are addressed and YES I do, brides without trials and have had no problems as I do in depth consult etc

I was merely state what could happen if she didn't do a trial

I think you blowing what I've said out of context and proportion.

Last edited:
But my point is that ALL clients could be a pain, not just brides.

You have to accept that in the service industry you will come in contact with all types of people and those who want to be a pain in the rear will be included. This shouldn't mean you expect all brides to act like they will be trouble. I am shocked at how many people in this thread expect this bride to be a nightmare or think she is trying it on etc.. just because she's asked for occasion make up not bridal make up. Maybe just maybe she just wants exactly what she is asking for.

Last edited:
No doubt it's been said already but I would speak to her and ask her what her reason is for requesting occasional make up. Is it motivated by costs? Or that she wants a particular look, Tell her she can have whatever look she likes, but as it for a wedding then it's a bridal service. Personally my costs for wedding make up differed mainly to allow time, extras such as travel etc etc. if she insists she wants occasional make up let her travel to you.

I wouldn't be doing anybody's wedding without a consultation beforehand. Done it and it wasn't fun.

Ultimately, how much do you need the work? If you're skint and a morning spent doing make up will really help, do it. If you aren't, don't bother unless you actually want to!

I would do it, but that's just me - I don't particularly need the work, but know that I'd make her look great - even if she did scowl and pull fed up bride faces!!!

Vic x

Well I am honestly shocked at a lot of the replies on this thread.

If I was getting married again it would be a very small intimate thing, just a few friends (because you have to have witnesses) and a big party afterwards for all the family & friends to celebrate. I hated people staring at me when I said my vowes & never wanted them there the first time round, so I'd make sure that I got a very quiet service if I ever did it again.

I don't wear make up unless I'm going out (and then it's usually very minimal) but I would want a little bit of make up so I looked nice in my photo's, I would be happy with occasion make up applied by a professional who can advise me on what would suit me & my outfit for the occasion & therefore I'd ask why I should pay more?

I wouldn't be bothered about having a trial, I wouldn't be a pain on the day, I would just sit back & be happy to let someone make me look nice on my wedding day.

Why does the fact this bride is being honest and saying it's her wedding have to go against her? She could have said she was attending someone elses wedding and then you'd have been happy to book her in for occasion make up but because it's her wedding she MUST be trying it on. :eek:

Try to remember that there are many different people out there that want different services, not everyone is a drama queen or an OCD bridzilla.

So long as she knows what the service she is asking for is, she understands what she is NOT getting (the difference between the occasion service & the bride service) then take her money & do the service. :Love:

Couldn't agree more!! My wedding day make up was my last thought. (did my own) in fact I wasn't actually bothered about me or the way I looked just concerned that the day would go well. She may well not have enought time for a trial, or it's just not on her list of priorities ! She may of realised she has some budget left over and pcan afford it now! Not every bride wants to look different , or full glam etc! It's just not them! I'd do it, but in salon not to her! X

Plenty of people do their own makeup for their wedding.

I bet she's panicking she won't do a good job and want at he cheapest way.

I had the same problem for my wedding. I didn't want a trial I trust any professional to make me look better. I didn't want a free lipstick or to sit in a chair for an hour. I couldn't find anyone to do it, I ended up booking occasional makeup and not saying it was my wedding turned up to the salon and felt like i had to keep quiet about one of the most wonderful day of my life.

It's sad some people don't want to help people who don't see makeup as the highlight of their day.

Jemima :)

If it were my wedding, make up and hair would definitely be a priority. I would invest wisely in a make up artist, get a trial, the whole thing and cut costs elsewhere.

I feel like this is definitely tough. The key issue is really uncertainty, is she expecting you to actually go beyond special occasion make up? Who knows.

My friend who I was a bridesmaid for got her make up done for cheap in a salon and then her hair at a hairdressers, no mobile services. She told the boat cruise where she shared her reception with other groups that it was for a birthday celebration. Why? Because we all had the same access to the same buffet and same entertainment, why should she pay more? She had a newborn, was renting a house and saving for a house deposit...literally was on a budget. She was the complete opposite of a bridezilla. In fact her make up wore off due to the heat of the day and she was still absolutely stress free.

On the other side of the debate though, I do believe make up artists are devalued. People expect a lot for very little, that's part of our culture these days.

It's all up to you really. We all relate our responses back to our personal experiences but I honestly couldn't be able to say what kind of client she will be. She may literally just want a simple make up or she may expect the world of you. If you have already explained it all to her and why a trial is so important and you plan to get her sign a disclaimer, then you will help safeguard yourself against some of the risk. But it will still be a risk.

Let us know how the make up goes if you intend to go ahead, I'm curious x

I agree with Salj and Baggy.

It's make-up not a face-lift so I am not sure why there has to be so much discussion with the client and payment in advance and drama basically.

Do what she has asked for, she knows what she wants. It's a bit rude to suggest that there's going to be a problem or that she doesn't know her own mind.

If a make-up artist is feeling she is giving away her services too cheaply by doing occasional make up instead of the full-on bride service then just don't do it.

Another MUA or salon will take the work straight away.

Peace and respect xx

Not read any other replies but:

1. Like you, I never do a bride without a trial. If she doesn't like how she looks in the photos it will be all your fault and she will tell everyone she knows it's your fault. It's your reputation on the line.

2. Presumably you tailor your bridal makeup for photographic as well just to make her look nicer than she could confidently achieve herself. Meaning if she goes for occasional makeup, you won't be taking her photos into account. You won't be contouring, you won't be using titanium dioxide free makeup, you won't be using makeup designed to last 12+ hours.

3. She obviously has no respect for what you do because she apparently thinks your sitting waiting around for her to come along and demand you change your thus far very successful business practices for her convenience and is not giving you any credit for the fact your prices are set the way are because occasional makeup does not suit the needs of a bride. I mean a week!? Is she serious?

I would just explain that your terms are your terms and you can't offer occasional makeup because it could adversely affect your reputation.

This might sound harsh but I wouldn't put my reputation on the line for a bride who puts so little importance on this part of her prep that she's waited until only days before her wedding to enquire about makeup.

As much as I take on board peoples replies here saying if it was them getting married they wouldn't want a fuss, wouldn't want a trial don't see the big deal etc.....

This is not normal bridal behaviour lol

We should remember that 98/99% of brides

Do want perfection and

Do want their make-up to be amazing

and do want to look stunning

and if you screw up you will very publicly screw up

This is what the consultation and trial is all about to have in depth planning of how they will look

and we price accordingly

On my last wedding I did the bride 4 bridesmaids mother of bride and 2 teenage nieces

It wouldn't have been possible to just waltz up on the day and spend time discussing what they would like

Why don't you just up all your make-up prices to one set price?

That's what I've done and it stops all the faffing around

then pop a out of salon charge on top and make sure and sell them lipsticks and all the pre-treatments so you make good profit from it?

I recently was quoting a price and said and that includes lashes and the bride was like 'oh my mother wont wear lashes will that be cheaper for her then'???

lmao 'like nooooo a price is a price' and she booked and happily paid the full price

This why I up sell, by selling beauty kits, lipsticks and lashes.

if i included them in the price and people do want them they want money off!

If I decided to gave a quick last minute wedding next week because my interfering family are doing my head in and thought oh I fancy some nice make up but dont have time for trials etc and you started telling me I HAD to have the entire bridal package, I would still be bad mouthing your business for being to pushy and sales focused. That's why customers service and catering to ALL needs is so important

Sent from my ST23i using SalonGeek mobile app

If I decided to gave a quick last minute wedding next week because my interfering family are doing my head in and thought oh I fancy some nice make up but dont have time for trials etc and you started telling me I HAD to have the entire bridal package, I would still be bad mouthing your business for being to pushy and sales focused. That's why customers service and catering to ALL needs is so important

Actually I completely disagree. I do use different makeup for weddings than I would for a special occasion makeup. It's often more expensive or has cost extra for ordering from the USA. It takes longer to do a full photographic makeup and a vastly different knowledge than just level 2 beauty therapy provides.

My prices reflect my products and training and I'm not going to jeopardise my reputation by doing a last minute makeup on someone I've never met. You don't have chance to discuss skin type, or any other problems they might have like watery eyes, they don't have time to change their mind about something and you don't get a chance to really talk to them about why that picture of Cheryl cole isn't going to work for them.

I have turned brides down in the past who didn't want a trial and I will do it again. It hasn't affected my business and actually if there are other makeup artists willing to take that on then good for them. I'd rather it was their mediocre work on display for the world than mine.

If you word it properly and explain why your pricing is like this and why trials are compulsory then it's not pushy and sales focused at all. There's a difference between that and sticking to your guns.

Actually I completely disagree. I do use different makeup for weddings than I would for a special occasion makeup. It's often more expensive or has cost extra for ordering from the USA. It takes longer to do a full photographic makeup and a vastly different knowledge than just level 2 beauty therapy provides.

My prices reflect my products and training and I'm not going to jeopardise my reputation by doing a last minute makeup on someone I've never met. You don't have chance to discuss skin type, or any other problems they might have like watery eyes, they don't have time to change their mind about something and you don't get a chance to really talk to them about why that picture of Cheryl cole isn't going to work for them.

I have turned brides down in the past who didn't want a trial and I will do it again. It hasn't affected my business and actually if there are other makeup artists willing to take that on then good for them. I'd rather it was their mediocre work on display for the world than mine.

If you word it properly and explain why your pricing is like this and why trials are compulsory then it's not pushy and sales focused at all. There's a difference between that and sticking to your guns.

I just think in a last minute situation, if the make ups going to cost more than the whole day you need a service for these small chilled out weddings. I would never dare get married without a make up trial but some brides dont have ohotographers and it's a small day and they only want to look nice for a few hours, before heading home to their kids, these brides don't need full make up, it's literally only going to be on a few hours, my aunt had a small church wedding, family only her brother took photos on his normal digital camera we went to a local restaurant, there was no point in full contouring but she deserved to feel pampered without her make up costing more than her next dress. So im glad some people offer this to brides who really just want to be married without all the extravagance, but I fully understand why not everyone wants to offer that service.

I'm sure you guys have full diaries with the brides you desire as clients - and that's as it should be. No one should take on a client they don't feel happy with.

I don't mind picking up the brides you don't want.

There are weddings and there are weddings.
Close friends a a small registry office perhaps? I would just want special occasion make up.

I agree. Some brides are just after a simple wedding and look. Admittedly this was me for my wedding. Some people are happy just to have someone else to do their makeup for them, or they might not be into makeup generally anyhow. Don't over think it. You're a professional, you'll be able to do a basic bridal makeup anyhow even with your eyes closed.

I'm a bit surprised at the OMG and WTF reactions at the no make-up brides. Yes I know that we are in the beauty industry, but there are people that don't wear make up and wouldn't consider wearing it for their wedding. Each to their own.
One of my former work colleagues (25) married last year and although she wore a short dress, she decided against a fake tan for her lily white legs. Her argument was "this is who I am, this is what you get" and she didn't want to look different for the most important day of her life. She wore minimal make up which she applied herself.

I feel that sometimes the significance of the act of getting married gets a little lost in the preparations.

My cousin got married 2 yrs ago, she doesn't wear make up every day - just mascara (brown) and even when going out is very minimal make up, (mascara , blusher, lipstick) so when I did her bridal make up I applied foundation and bit of very light contouring, eyeshadow ... To which I explained due to pics & lighting etc but even so was no where near what I would normally do, she didn't want it - she didn't want to look overdone .., I said I'd do her a trial and she didn't want it that either, she said she trusted me and knew what she normally looked like as I'd known her long enough .... Lol ...
Not everyone is the same about makeup, I know of 2 people who don't wear make up and they didn't have it on their wedding day either (alien to me and most of us) ....!!!!

Latest posts

Back