Bright colours in the hair yes or no ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minky

Reaction score
Hi, I was just looking at the nail threads and was looking at all the nail art ect, (and I love classy nail art )
and I thought as a hairdresser I would to ask about bright vibrant primary colours on a hairdressing thread ,

I myself have never really wanted to wear bright pink, blue ,green hair, or pillar box red hair at all , as I dont really like it that much .
I know a lot of people out there must love it as I have done many heads of bright hair colour,

but as a hairdresser I think if you enhance the hairs own natural colour with glossy shine and vibrant natural looking colours or highlights ,
in my opinion makes it looks much better .

If a client wanted bright blue green or pink hair, then I do it for them to the best of my ability and according to their wishes , as I know they must have given it a great deal of thought ,
and they always love it ,
but I dont say much about it as I just dont like it at all :cry:

As a hairdresser I would rather be producing a beautiful natural looking head of highlights /caramel and choccy lowlights, or back to back slices of beautiful blonde shades, or those nice beachy chunky blonde creamy highlights.

As a Hairdresser I dont like un natural primary loud hair colours
at a push I think that very pale pink is well .... just about ok,
oh and maybe a little red in dark hair , but nothing thats OTT :green:

I wanted ask all the Hairdressers on here just out of interest ,

Do you like doing all the funky primary hair colours and why ?
Or would you rather produce natural looking colours and why ?

Also just out of interest,
to all the people who love these very bright colours,
what bright colours do you like in your hair and why do you like them ?

:hug: minky x

I have natural base of 6 but now have bleached(woven) short hair with a long fringe me personally i allways have a colour through my fringe like pink or purple and now its chocolate brown.i sandwich the colour between the blonde.....i wear black all the time at college and its my favorite colour for a night out so a slice of colour is my accessory.....
because i wear black all the time i like a colour in my hair and bright colours on my eyes and nails......
i am quite shy so i like my hair to make the statement i cant...pmsl.....
i do enjoy doing clients at college who want natural colours....its a great achievement to put colours be it foils meche etc and make the hair look 3 dimentional healthy and natural.

It depends on my mood...myself I'm fairly conservative (at least on the outside) I do have highlights and some dimensional color, I have sported bright, funky hair, bleached platinum and dimesional blonde with purple. Right now, I'm not cutting edge, but I do require regular highlight retouches.

As for doing out of the box, wild, crazy stuff...I work in a Cosmetology school- our students run the gambit from ultra conservative (nothing more than demi/quasi will touch their hair) to hot pink with turquios highlights and a black nape.

When doing "crazy" hair, I have to get the "vibe" from the client before I can accurately suggest colors or placements. A thourough consultation is key for me, if I don't get the "I'm so excited I can hardly wait" before we're done deciding we stop and re evaluate. We get quite a few off the beaten path colors, they're fun but they aren't our main focus. I wouldn't want to try and make a living off punky colors, I'll keep those for fun and to let creative juices flow, but for the most part, healthy, shiny hair that is colored to accentuate the face is where I'll stay.

:lol: i hate nail art,disco nails is just as much as i can handle,yet i have had pillar box red and black underneath (when Toni and Guy first did it,before the blonde brown effect) atm i have a chunky slice of purple and my nails are squoval with cb and about 3mm of cb (yellowish)fe,i have a pic somewhere i'll dig it out and scan it of a client sporting a 3 inch uniform layer i bleached it to the max one one side and did the other blue black in a diagonal,think cruella devile :D

i have never really bothered with them to be honest , i think now a days its more done than it used to be :green:
saying that i think i would be terrified if a client wanted a lot on their hair , lol

i have brown/red hair all over then at the moment a slice of purple under my fringe as i feel it makes me look like a 'hairdresser' and is something a bit different without being different all over. in my avatar my hair looks quite red but it isnt that red now, plus the photographer enhanced it i think!!

this is probably the first time in about 5 years I have not dyed my hair.

It's been pink and white (due to a salon f*** up), resulting from that red and then burnt orange, which was quite funky. And on seperate occassions it's been midnight purple, midnight blue, black and a couple years ago, for about a year I got a strip around my head dyed pinkissimo for Breast Cancer Care.

Then I got all my hair cut off, and it's now all growing out but I'm getting the itch to dye it again lol.

To me it's something different and I love all the different colours :).

I have dark brown hair which used to be really long, down to my waist. I was really wary of dying it in case I didn't like it. I wanted to liven it up a tad but nothing permanent so a few years ago I went for coloured extensions. I had a row of them in the middle layer of my hair - bright red! I really liked them as they gave my hair a flash of colour but were still relatively subtle considering how bright they were as you just got a flash of red as my hair moved. Then when I got fed up with them, I just had them taken out.

a couple years ago, for about a year I got a strip around my head dyed pinkissimo for Breast Cancer Care.

Hi, what a fab idea even I would have that done , I must admit pinkissimo is a wonderful flamingo pink ,:) but not a whole strip around my head though :green: perhaps we could all have a little strip of pink in our hair even if it was a baby pink hair extension ?
we could all do this for breast cancer awareness week ,
not sure what the fellas on here would say though lol x :hug: minky x

Hi, I was just looking at the nail threads and was looking at all the nail art ect, (and I love classy nail art )
and I thought as a hairdresser I would to ask about bright vibrant primary colours on a hairdressing thread ,

I myself have never really wanted to wear bright pink, blue ,green hair, or pillar box red hair at all , as I dont really like it that much .
I know a lot of people out there must love it as I have done many heads of bright hair colour,

but as a hairdresser I think if you enhance the hairs own natural colour with glossy shine and vibrant natural looking colours or highlights ,
in my opinion makes it looks much better .

If a client wanted bright blue green or pink hair, then I do it for them to the best of my ability and according to their wishes , as I know they must have given it a great deal of thought ,
and they always love it ,
but I dont say much about it as I just dont like it at all :cry:

As a hairdresser I would rather be producing a beautiful natural looking head of highlights /caramel and choccy lowlights, or back to back slices of beautiful blonde shades, or those nice beachy chunky blonde creamy highlights.

As a Hairdresser I dont like un natural primary loud hair colours
at a push I think that very pale pink is well .... just about ok,
oh and maybe a little red in dark hair , but nothing thats OTT :green:

I wanted ask all the Hairdressers on here just out of interest ,

Do you like doing all the funky primary hair colours and why ?
Or would you rather produce natural looking colours and why ?

Also just out of interest,
to all the people who love these very bright colours,
what bright colours do you like in your hair and why do you like them ?

:hug: minky x

I am a hairdresser, and i go through phases with bright colours in my hair. I love playing about with colours, as i dont know many people who would actually wear the bright colours in their hair. I do believe its all down to placement of colour, as i have seen a few fashion colour hairstyles, were you think whatttt!!! for example..thick massive stripes on the top of the head...(again i have done this on a few clients...unwilling..but like you said, they are adament on what they want).
Like i said previously, i think its all down to placement, as i have always been aware of were i put the colour would affect my cut an so on, i used to get so many comments (good ones) when i had bright colours, like pink and orange..or turquiose, even green.

Its all down to what the client wants at the end of the day, i love having a play around with bright colours but again, i also love seeing a beautiful nautral looking hair colour and style.

xxxx

well i have had red, blue and mallard green and pink in my fringe, using the goldwell elumen, and after gettin it out of my system i wud never get it again haha, my hair was jus wrecked cos they base had to bde so light before it cud be coloured wit those colours, so it ended up lookin a bit crappy, and i much prefer enhancing someone colour or fixin it for them haha, i dont mind doin it for others but i much prefer doind highlights, i am even turning against bleach unless it is specifically asked for or described by a client as what they want, i much prefer high lifts and surprise surprise 10's lol. . x

i wud bond a few pink bits in for a week for cancer awareness and im a bloke haha confident boys can pull anything off u see haha, x

well i have had red, blue and mallard green and pink in my fringe, using the goldwell elumen, and after gettin it out of my system i wud never get it again haha, my hair was jus wrecked cos they base had to bde so light before it cud be coloured wit those colours, so it ended up lookin a bit crappy, and i much prefer enhancing someone colour or fixin it for them haha, i dont mind doin it for others but i much prefer doind highlights, i am even turning against bleach unless it is specifically asked for or described by a client as what they want, i much prefer high lifts and surprise surprise 10's lol. . x

I couldnt do without bleach I love the clarity and clean creamy blondes that you can only achieve with bleach , I think bleach has its place
and if used properly it should be all ok , there are some really nice bleach products on the market ,

I personally love Wella Blondor blue powder
because even if it is used with 12% it doesnt swell much in the foils ,
maji meche is lovely too ,

I like to add a teensy sprinkle of Blondor to high lifts in pure the blonds
12/ 0 or 10/0 but only for off the scalp foil techniques especially if the clients has tint or quasi colour build up on the hair and wants highlights ,

(all depending on test peices though ) it also gives a fab little boost to highlights that need just a touch more clarity and brightness here and there x:hug:

At the moment I.ve got a really funky purple fading into white blonde through the front of my hair and a block of purple at the back, the rest of my hair is a number 2. over the last 22 years doing hairdressing I've always had crazy colour in my hair, from little bits to the whole lot, I couldn't imagine myself with anything else really, maybe when i get to 40 (2 years time) I'll calm down, lol!
as for clients hair we have loads of students who come into the shop who have mad hair also punks with mohawks etc.. I even do a 60 year old lolly-pop lady who has pinkissimo slashes, she says the children love it !

At the moment I.ve got a really funky purple fading into white blonde through the front of my hair and a block of purple at the back, the rest of my hair is a number 2. over the last 22 years doing hairdressing I've always had crazy colour in my hair, from little bits to the whole lot, I couldn't imagine myself with anything else really, maybe when i get to 40 (2 years time) I'll calm down, lol!
as for clients hair we have loads of students who come into the shop who have mad hair also punks with mohawks etc.. I even do a 60 year old lolly-pop lady who has pinkissimo slashes, she says the children love it !

Hi, pinkissimo is a lovely pink :hug: , I must admit I saw a lovely short hair cut and colour the other day online ,
apparently it was one of the most wanted hair colours,
it was really pretty

it was sort of a light creamy blonde on top and softer pastel rainbow colours around the edges and it was sort of cut in a soft zig zag layers around the edges too ,
I think we are getting a lot more daring with colour these days ,
Good on your Lollypop Lady ,:hug: x minky

it was sort of a light creamy blonde on top and softer pastel rainbow colours around the edges and it was sort of cut in a soft zig zag layers around the edges too

sounds lovely, I'm too punky for pretty hair - shame:cry: ooo, love to see it

it was sort of a light creamy blonde on top and softer pastel rainbow colours around the edges and it was sort of cut in a soft zig zag layers around the edges too

sounds lovely, I'm too punky for pretty hair - shame:cry: ooo, love to see it

I will try and get a picture up ,
it may take a bit of time to find it though lol x :hug: minky

i agree totally with the sprinkle of the bleach in the highlift minky, it jus supercharges it a bit huh, i do like bleach for acheiving the brilliant colours u can achieve, and i know that i am a dab hand at applying it, because u see so much overproccessed hair these days, from hairdressers who dont really care bout the clients hair a monthg after its done. . it jus scares me when i think of these people who come in and tell me they have had bleached highlights for over a year and it has snapped because the hairdresser obviously bleaches the lengths and not jsu the regrowth, its jus shocking lol. . xx

i agree totally with the sprinkle of the bleach in the highlift minky, it jus supercharges it a bit huh, i do like bleach for acheiving the brilliant colours u can achieve, and i know that i am a dab hand at applying it, because u see so much overproccessed hair these days, from hairdressers who dont really care bout the clients hair a monthg after its done. . it jus scares me when i think of these people who come in and tell me they have had bleached highlights for over a year and it has snapped because the hairdresser obviously bleaches the lengths and not jsu the regrowth, its jus shocking lol. . xx

Hi yes , I know what you mean :eek: its really terrible to see the bleach going right the way down all over the already bleached foiled hair ,
Bleach shouldnt ever be used this way and shouldn't be overlapped like that
:hug: x minky

Bleach is the BOMB!! That would deffo be the one hair product I couldn't live without.. so many things can be done with bleach. Subtle highlights, bold drastic, soft creamy....bleach bleach bleach. I can't get Blondor with out a ton of hassle, so we use Platinium or Power Blonde both can be used on or off scalp, with or with out heat, over wet color or on dry hair.

We do TONS of highlights and a couple of global blondes that we tone. Myself, mostly dimensional blond top and 4 Neutral/ 6 Red Copper shadow underneath. (pretty close to my natural, just camaflouging a few..uh...ssshhhh...non pigmented hairs.) :(

Latest posts

Back