Bright glitters over Shellac Cream Puff and coverage?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lisa.sharrock

Reaction score
I'm having a bit of bother with some of my glitters not being full coverage enough, one of my clients wanted a neon pink and having read on here that the brights often look better when painted over Cream Puff, this is what I did but unfortunately it looked a little wishy washy.

Does anybody have any tips or tricks to get full coverage?? In the end I did have to use Haut Pink additives to cover up the gaps, but you do lose some of the sparkle and to be honest I don't want to have to do that all the time as it adds more cost to the service.

Many thanks!

There are different types of glitter. If you are not getting full coverage you probably using irredescent type of glitter, which will not create an effect of full coverage. To get full coverage try to avoid using irredescent glitters. If applying over shellac apply 2 coats of colour first and cure each layer. Then choose the glitter similar to the colour of shellac, pack the glitter firmly against the nail. This will give you full coverage.

Hope this helps;)

when using a colour underneath think about what colours do to each other so for instance when your mixing a colour up if you add white it lightens it if you add black it darkens it which is probably why your neon looked a bit wishy washy as you had in effect lightened it. Try and stick to the same or a similar colour underneath to get the best effect. For example i use hot chillis under red glitter mostly as hot chiliis isnt a popular colour for me so uses it up but if a client wanted a brighter red effect I would use wildfire underneath.

If it was a bright pink glitter i would try pink bikini or hot pop pink under as the glitter should give the full coverage and the shellac/gel base is just to enhance the colour. Have a play around on some colour wheels/pops. I have loads made up and ive even done some of the colours with a clear base underneath to show clients the difference of having the colour under.

Hope that helps a little.

what I've found works for me to get full coverage is

1x cream puff, cure
burnish glitter into tacky layer
1x zillionair, cure
burnish second layer of glitter
top coat, cure

pic of neon glitter set I did

eta: they are really bright in person...couldn't get camera to pick it up for some reason

Attachments

• Neon Pink Rockstar Nails.jpg
    Neon Pink Rockstar Nails.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 3,016
Ladies, thanks it was really to get the neon glitters to pop out more which is why I thought it was the Cream Puff trick that would make them stand out.

When doing rockstars I do usually use a similar colour as a base but it's the irridescents, pastels and neons there aren't any similar colours.

EmJZ, that's a a great tip, I will try that. Would this work with the pastel glitters?? I really do need to have another play!

Thanks everyone. :)

There are different types of glitter. If you are not getting full coverage you probably using irredescent type of glitter, which will not create an effect of full coverage. To get full coverage try to avoid using irredescent glitters. If applying over shellac apply 2 coats of colour first and cure each layer. Then choose the glitter similar to the colour of shellac, pack the glitter firmly against the nail. This will give you full coverage.

Hope this helps;)

Oh but irredescents are so lovely though.

Ladies, thanks it was really to get the neon glitters to pop out more which is why I thought it was the Cream Puff trick that would make them stand out.

When doing rockstars I do usually use a similar colour as a base but it's the irridescents, pastels and neons there aren't any similar colours.

EmJZ, that's a a great tip, I will try that. Would this work with the pastel glitters?? I really do need to have another play!

Thanks everyone. :)

It should work with any colour glitter :)

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1368896898.929833.jpg. This is moonlight and roses as a base. I then dusted it lightly with rosé mica powder, top coat, then white glitter burnished in the sticky layer and then top coat again. I find it pushes the colour to the top a little more. X

Latest posts

Back