Bring your box dye offer

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisstyB

Reaction score
So, saw an advert today at a hairdressers.....bring your own box dye in and our junior will apply it for you then you just pay for the wash cut and blow dry.....is it just me or is this slightly bonkers???

The only instance in which I can see this making sense is if someone wants a really extreme colour in their hair (green semi permanent for example) and wants to buy some stargazer type stuff and not risk doing it themselves.

Otherwise yes, this offer doesn't make much sense...I can imagine that boxes of shop bought hair colour can vary in quality and as a result, the professionals won't be able to guarantee the results of their work so it could come back and bite them in the bum.

(I'm not a hair pro, I'm replying with a business mind)

I don't personally think hat sound very professional. Very bonkers lol!

The only instance in which I can see this making sense is if someone wants a really extreme colour in their hair (green semi permanent for example) and wants to buy some stargazer type stuff and not risk doing it themselves.

Otherwise yes, this offer doesn't make much sense...I can imagine that boxes of shop bought hair colour can vary in quality and as a result, the professionals won't be able to guarantee the results of their work so it could come back and bite them in the bum.

(I'm not a hair pro, I'm replying with a business mind)

Exactly right.
If I were to use a box colour for someone I would charge £500,000.
Its cheaper to use mine than spend on a box and have me apply
It xoxo

Its a sad sad day for the industry when salons feel that they have to do this to stay in business its sounds so desperate ,i have been asked in the past to do this and its always a big fat NO :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

Hmm if i had seen this as a potential customer walking past the window.. i wouldn't be inclined to go in. Like someone else said, it sounds a bit desperate. I would rather apply a box dye at home.

From a business prospective. It might be ways to cut costs but will do nothing for their reputation should it come out wrong. My mum uses box dyes all the time. And some we have learnt just are not worth the money at all. Others come out looking lovely, but still. Would you want to take the 50/50 chance when its your name on the line? Its like they are supporting all hair dyes by doing this, which i'm sure that's not their aim. But by willingly applying this to someone's hair as part of a treatment, they must be assuring them that its a good brand etc. Even if it isn't?

Do you know what? When I read the title I thought "wow what a fantastic idea!" Then I read on and wasn't what I thought..
I think I am going to do a box dye amnesty!! Fab marketing idea!! Bring your box dye and I will wash it down the sink! And colour your hair for half price!! Once clients see tge difference we will get them all honing to us and paying full whack!! Will this work??

Do you know what? When I read the title I thought "wow what a fantastic idea!" Then I read on and wasn't what I thought..
I think I am going to do a box dye amnesty!! Fab marketing idea!! Bring your box dye and I will wash it down the sink! And colour your hair for half price!! Once clients see tge difference we will get them all honing to us and paying full whack!! Will this work??

That's what I thought when I read the title, I think a box dye amnesty is a great idea (def not supportive of the original idea of bring it in and they apply it!!!!) :-0

That's what I thought when I read the title, I think a box dye amnesty is a great idea (def not supportive of the original idea of bring it in and they apply it!!!!) :-0

I'm going to see if I can get it in place at work by feb :)

Amazing idea :-D

i find this very strange considering the bad press that is coming out recently about the possible and real reactions to shop bought dyes. Do they patch test prior to application? Imagine trying to rescue your salons reputation if the worst case scenario happens....not a risk i imagine any professional hairdresser would be wiling to take!

Amazing idea :-D

I actually am buzzing! We could get our junior stylist applying colours after we have consulted and made recommendations ;) my boss is away though do can't ask him till next week :( want to do it now :(

lol...I never thought of it like that...I am not a hair professional but thought that this sounded like utter madness, actually I might do something similar and run a bring your supermarket own brand skincare range in and I'll do you a facial with it, in fact if they bring their own towels and cotton pads I'll give them a 10% discount...what do you think?

lol...I never thought of it like that...I am not a hair professional but thought that this sounded like utter madness, actually I might do something similar and run a bring your supermarket own brand skincare range in and I'll do you a facial with it, in fact if they bring their own towels and cotton pads I'll give them a 10% discount...what do you think?

Lol..you could do a skin care amnesty though..bring your crap tesco moisturiser and I will give you a gift pack of pro products worth £45 for £25

I actually am buzzing! We could get our junior stylist applying colours after we have consulted and made recommendations ;) my boss is away though do can't ask him till next week :( want to do it now :(

Sounds like a great idea to me!

My commission is 5% for every gift box since it was my genius idea lol xxxx

My commission is 5% for every gift box since it was my genius idea lol xxxx

No probs, I will take 5% on any hair colour clients you get in :lol:.....

No probs, I will take 5% on any hair colour clients you get in :lol:.....

This banter is what I love salon geek for not the horrible stuff that's been going down :) thank you. You have resorted my faith :)
Can't wait to speak to my boss :)

haha i actually think this sounds awesome lol :D

Sent from my GT-S5360 using SalonGeek

This banter is what I love salon geek for not the horrible stuff that's been going down :) thank you. You have resorted my faith :)
Can't wait to speak to my boss :)

lol....yes it does get a bit heated on here sometimes, now how do you want me to pay you that commision???

Latest posts

Back