Bringing children in salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm not sure on this one, I have two children and have always taken them to hair appointments etc if I couldnt find someone to watch them BUT I always make sure that they have something with them to keep them entertained and they would never misbehave....maybe its different here in Spain but its not unusual to take the kids with you, and TBH they are on the whole very well behaved...did a bikini wax the other week with her 5 year old standing next to me...no sure that he wont need councilling later in life as it was a very high g string, but he was quite well behaved. I dont have a problem with kids in the salon as long as they arent disruptive/noisy/etc
A lot of the comments seem to come from therapists who are mums....lets face it we all have times that we would rather not have the kids with us, but quite often babysitters fall through, and we have no choice. may be a sign up in salon saying that children must be controlled whilst in the salon? Or just make sure that there are some colouring books and puzzles to hand for them? If you do have someone who comes in with disruptive children then maybe just a quiet word as they leave, to say not to bring the kids next time as other clients have complained about them, I dont think that all mothers should be tarred with the same brush...I wouldnt be able to get my hair cut most months if I couldnt take the kids, a lot of women are in the same position.
There...cat well and truly amongst the pigeons!!!!!!
I do understand that when kids are naughty you dont want them in salon, but in my experience they are few and far between.
xxxxx

All I will say is 4 year old + his mind purple nail polish + white leather tub chairs in waiting area = me going mental!! Parents don't care what their kids do!!

Love kids - HATE them being in a salon. When I'm going out to a salon (as a customer) I go to be pampered - it's MY time to relax and spend some well earned time on me. I don't want someone else's kids ruining my precious me time by yelling and being badly behaved.

I have complained about kids before, and I'll do it again. Selfish as it sounds I work hard and when I get time off I want to forget the troubles of my own life! :)

kids shouldn't be allowed in salons full stop! Having hair or beauty treatments done should be a relaxing experience, not ruined by screaming kids running riot and wrecking the place.

I spent years pretending to be nice to kids who were naughty in the salon. One day, a little sod was touching everything and just wouldn't be told, even the Mom just sat there with a gormless look on her face. I told the kid NOT to touch the straighteners and what did he do? Yep he touched them and ended up with a nasty burn across his palm, the Mom then said to me "They shouldn't be on!!" Blooming cheek of it!

If they can't get sitters, then they should cancel their appointment in my opinion ;)

To add to my other comment, it's a respect thing. I understand difficulty getting sitters etc, but if you were working in an office you wouldn't expect your co-workers to bring their kids in and cause disruption all day long. Playing on computers and yelling and shouting. So why should they be in a salon, which is also a workplace?

Think it adds to the myth that some have that hair and beauty is a bit of a frivilous job - that it's not a serious job - so people can do as they please. Really sad it is, that people's workplaces are turned into creches and babysitting services.

I think having children in a salon simply is not fair to those who have arranged to have theirs looked after so they can relax in a calm and tranquil salon

I hate having badly behaved children and parents in the salon.

Don't mind the good ones.

I had a woman who brought her 6 month old baby with her while she got gelicure lol

He screamed the WHOLE way through - it was pure hell

I had to pick him up and give him to her and she had to jiggle him around - her nails got covered in fluff ahhhh it was awful awful

Concentrating on nails as a child screams is near impossible - i hate the sound of children crying - it near broke me lol

How could that mother have been soooo silly?

I have a strict policy about children, if they cannot sit still and behave themselves then I politely ask the mother and child to leave simple as that. I have it stated in my spa policies and I tell everyone about these policies. I don't care if you are in the middle of your service if your child acts up your out simple as that.

Sounds mean but I have no choice as I was too nice in the beginning and had two children flood my spa out!

I don't really think a salon is the right place for kids unless of course they're having their hair cut or maybe the parent and child in for a fringe trim ect. Anything over a quick pit stop is IMO unfair on the kids, the staff and other clients.

I don't think kids should be allowed into a beauty salon or working area of hair salon full stop, these places are full of hazards. I struggle to get help with my wee one and really have to beg every 6 weeks or pay a lot so that I can get my regrowth done. For that reason I no longer get beauty treatments done and actually considering trying to grow out my colour :( that's my choice though I'm not going to bother a therapist with distractions and safety issues.

Personally I think it's quite selfish taking your kid to a salon so you can sit and get your nails done ect. Don't shoot.

I've seen signs saying 'in the interest of safety, no children under 12 in the salon, many thanks'. Granted this has been in sunbed shops but hair straighteners and nail products ect are the last things you should want your kids playing near.

Lindsey x

I totally agree, children in salons waiting their parent/carer to beautify themselves is wrong... Unfair on that poor child who will obviously get bored then destructive and disruptive and also unfair on other clients too.

I've 4 kids ranging from 23-4 and I'd never have taken my older kids with me, and most deff not my youngest as I know she can't sit still for two mins let alone a whole treatments worth of time, it would be very mean of me to expect it of her being that she is so needy being free, they way she is is fab for gymnastics tho lol.

But to be honest I find a lot of the kids in salon issues the same with mobile too, I had one woman complain that I took 3hrs to do her nails.. I reminded her that her 8month old baby non stop cried cause someone strange was on theror home, taking up her mummy's time. She'd vomited everywhere right after nail prep and needed cleaning up and nails re-cleaned and dehydrated and also once the nail tips were freshly cut the baby had pooped everywhere and this mum couldn't do anything due to sharp nails so I changed the crappy nappy in the hope the baby would shut up.. I spent the rest of the appointment moving baby from jumperoo to floor and back again as she got bored... Mums at home don't think about their kids getting bored either and I find constantly keep starting and stopping treatment... I've even had to say to my daughter that I'll only do her nails once my granddaughter is asleep as I know she wants nana cuddles n play but I need to put work head on n get on.

Now please don't anyone get me wrong, I love kids and especially my grandaughters but this is work and I want to be good and give a good fluidly run service :)

Salons are dangerous places for little ones, dangerous tools and chemicals (in the wrong hands), i couldnt relax for a treatment knowing my child was unattended round it all! The longest my kids have ever been in a salon was while i made an appointment for a time i can guarantee im child free, and even then they were in pram or right beside me holding my hand!

Sent from my GT-I5500 using SalonGeek

I have a sign that says " I love children but my insurance company feels that my salon is no place for your little ones. Children under 8 are not allowed on the premises. sorry "

See now I would always be happy to bring my daughter to a salon with me. She is well behaved and I normally bring her into the room with me when I am having a wax. She happily sits on a chair and waits quietly. When I lived in London the girls in my local salon always seemed pleased to see her :)

Infact she does the same in the hairdressers - will sit and chat to me or bring her storio and read for a bit. She is 5 now and I would say she has come with me (when i need to bring her with me) from she was 3. So I would judge each case on its own merrit :)

Latest posts

Back