Brisa nails broke again...why?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xAnnaBannAx

Reaction score
:cry: Ive been out this afternoon and did a set of nails on a new customer...I was worried about using gel as im still learning with it and as some of you may know the last 3 sets I did werent great at all...in fact 2 of them were a disaster as they started breaking after a few days.

So today I decided to just go for it with this new customer and use gel...I was thorough with my prep etc and as far as I know I did everything right...but ive just had a text from her (just a few hours later) saying shes broke a nail and she's not getting on with the gel and thinks she would be better with acrylic...can I come and repair it tomorrow.

I cant believe a nail has broke in such a short space of time...my worst fears are coming true....its obviously my fault as like I said the last 2 sets mostly all broke or chipped off....is it a coincidence that the people experiencing breakages I tipped with white performance tips...the other one I tipped with clear tips the first time and sculpting in clear the second time and altho she had one break the rest were intact but had lifting??

Why is this happening I cant figure out what im doing wrong...I dont know what to say to this girl now....shes waiting for me to text her back and i dont know what to say tbh :cry:

OMG OMG....shes now text me to say shes just had to take them all off...3 broke and looked real bad, shes going to stick to acrylic as she seems to be ok with that.
Ok im just going off to sob now me thinks !

Oh i am so sorry that you are having a tough time of it with your brisa, the only suggestion i can give you is maybe go for a 1 2 1 with someone at S2, i dont know if there is anyone in your area but that'd be easy to find out. I'm sure once you have done that then things will start looking up.

Loads of hugs for you :hug:
Jo.Xxx

:cry: Ive been out this afternoon and did a set of nails on a new customer...I was worried about using gel as im still learning with it and as some of you may know the last 3 sets I did werent great at all...in fact 2 of them were a disaster as they started breaking after a few days.

So today I decided to just go for it with this new customer and use gel...I was thorough with my prep etc and as far as I know I did everything right...but ive just had a text from her (just a few hours later) saying shes broke a nail and she's not getting on with the gel and thinks she would be better with acrylic...can I come and repair it tomorrow.

I cant believe a nail has broke in such a short space of time...my worst fears are coming true....its obviously my fault as like I said the last 2 sets mostly all broke or chipped off....is it a coincidence that the people experiencing breakages I tipped with white performance tips...the other one I tipped with clear tips the first time and sculpting in clear the second time and altho she had one break the rest were intact but had lifting??

Why is this happening I cant figure out what im doing wrong...I dont know what to say to this girl now....shes waiting for me to text her back and i dont know what to say tbh :cry:

Big hugs to you matey :hug::hug::hug:
Don't get disheartened, you ate using a fab product & you will get therexxxxx

If you are using white tips with the Brisa then, there is a good chance the gel is not curing properly as the light cannot get through from allsides to the gel - particularly get through the white tips. So, IMO they are going to be much weaker as they are not properly cured.
However Anna, as you know, I'm not a big experienced Brisa geek, only been doing it for 1 year, so not so clued up, (L&P no probs).
If you cannot sculpt with the white sculpting gel, use a natural or clear tip & do a pink overlay & use the paint on white gel to do the french tip.

As for the other person with intact tips but lifting - check your prep & check also you application of Bond - did you let it dry properly? Did you then scrub your bonding layer of gel into the nail properly?
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

omg what a night!...as soon as I posted this thread my bf accidentally stabbed himself in the eye with a bamboo cane and I had to take him to A & E...how dare he have such an accident at a time like this! The hosp is heaving..had to take bf, sit and wait with him...leave and collect my son from scouts..back to hosp...hes still waiting for doc so bought son home..sorted docs quick check on here (sneakily :)) and off I go again back to A & E now...just hope were not sat down there all night!
Anyway not that anyone's interested in that! I know as a general rule you dont use white tips with gel but ive also read on here that its ok to use as long as I use clear gel...which I did...I also used a shimmer gel.

Are the shimmer gels as strong as the sculpting gels?

I feel slight confusion as I have never ever had nails break THAT quick..I cant understand how she was able to just take them all off...I mean they was definately all firmly on when I had finished them! Ive had my gel overlays on for about 3 weeks now I think and they are fine really...I few bits have chipped off here and there from where I got a bt too close to the skin but there is absolutely no way on earth I could pick at them..they are on and staying there...how the hell can someone just take theres off after a couple of hours I just dont get it!

and what is that all about... ''I cant get on with the gel'' or ''I cant get on with the acrylic'' !!...I dont understand what people mean when they say ''I cant get on with them'' ??

She called me in the first place because she said the last tech she went to used tip and dip and they all broke after a couple of days..and some of her nails had some damage.

Would you offer to redo them for free now using L & P ? what would you do? I still havent text her back..but will do first thing.

Sorry to waffle on so much and thanks if your still listening...best get my skates on and get back to A & E ! x

Hi Anna sounds like a bad time your having all round at the moment , sit down n relax then breath, if I was in your shoes I would do a one to one for an hour and see what help you may need, is it as the stress area they are breaking?? if so just build them up a little more, am not sure how brisa works, a girl I know uses her's like applying nail varnish and gets upset when they ring her an say they have broke, she say's she is doing them as she was learnt to, i don't even think she does nails anymore .You will get there in the end there is always little problems at the beginning, chin up :hug:

I am wondering if you are doing these nails thick enough Anna....Gel nails are just as strong as L&P....but they do have to be built differently IMO...I have done a set of L&P on myself and couldn't believe how thin i could actually get them and still be rock hard. With gel i can still get that rock hard feeling but i do have to build the strength into the nail by way of application...placement of my gel and overall structure.

This together with the length of the nails compared to how heavy handed the nail client is/what job she does also makes a difference.

The fact that she managed to "get them off" worries me....Mmmm is she a picker....???

She says she didn't get on with Tip and Dip yet i have used this system and trust me...those nails are solid.

I don't know if i would actually do her a new set FOC....purely based on the fact that she picked all the others off....instead of waiting and coming back to see you....but i might as a gesture of goodwill and a little method in my madness offer her first set of infill's after 2 weeks FOC, this way it means she will be back...hopefully without picking them off, for you to look at and see for yourself how they are wearing.

Just another note....As with any system the foundations need to be half decent to start with...with gel i have found that the better condition the nails are in the better adhesion you will get...on very damaged nails the gel can just lift right off....I only mentioned this as it sounds like she has been through a few sysems/techs....and suffered some damage...what are her nails like now...?

To be fair....whenever i get a client come who starts off saying "i have had my nails done here, here and here with this, this and this and none of them lasted"...alarm bells start to ring...either she has just had a run of back luck or she doesn't look after her nails.

just to add...about the thickness of the gel being applied...

A few years back i had a client who kept breaking her nails...usually within a week....i was 100% sure i was building the stress area and getting the overall structure right....drove me bonkers....but each time she broke a nail she would pick the remaining gel off the nail.....so i never actually got to see the nail with anything left on.....then one day she broke a nail and came to see me with an hour of doing so, before she got the chance to pick the rest of the gel off.....now when i looked at the nail birds eye view it looked fine....but when i looked down the barrel of the nail....i could see the thickness of the gel left on the nail...it was no way as thick as i thought i had applied it.

There was a thread on here somewhere showing a pic of a nail cut down to show the thickness of the gel from a barrel view....I'll find it for you. x

I am wondering if you are doing these nails thick enough Anna....Gel nails are just as strong as L&P....but they do have to be built differently IMO...I have done a set of L&P on myself and couldn't believe how thin i could actually get them and still be rock hard. With gel i can still get that rock hard feeling but i do have to build the strength into the nail by way of application...placement of my gel and overall structure.

Yes after the other 2 sets of nails I did recently having lots of breakages after a few days and posting a thread on here it seemed I had definately done them too long and way too thin given the length.

At the time when I had finished each of them, when they left, I was worried that I might have done them too thin...so I guess I wasnt too surprised when some had broken.

So from that experience and especially with it being a new customer I was really determined to be more thorough with prep, make them much shorter and thicker...which I did - they only came to just past the end of her finger as her natural nails were very short to begin with, and I did the 3 strings that Geeg suggested to reinforce the structure.

This together with the length of the nails compared to how heavy handed the nail client is/what job she does also makes a difference.

She is a cleaner at the hospital and was due to go to work after I had left, but she assured me she always wears gloves for work.

The fact that she managed to "get them off" worries me....Mmmm is she a picker....???

Well when she called me to make the appointment she asked me what I used as the last person she had gone to as I said used tip & dip and they broke after a couple of days...while I was doing her nails she was telling me how awful they were as they had broke so quick so she had to take them off herself...she also told me about someone else she had been to that didnt last so she had to go and get them redone at a salon in town...I did have some alarm bells ringing to be honest...I just said to her that sometimes some people will find one system works much better than another for them...I did say that sometimes some people could have problems with L & P but not with gel and vice versa and its possible that that is what had happened to her rather than it being a 'bad tech'

During the consultation I asked if she ever bites her nails and she said no she doesnt but sometimes she picks a bit.

She says she didn't get on with Tip and Dip yet i have used this system and trust me...those nails are solid.

Oh really thats interesting...in all honesty I dont know much about this system.

I don't know if i would actually do her a new set FOC....purely based on the fact that she picked all the others off....instead of waiting and coming back to see you....but i might as a gesture of goodwill and a little method in my madness offer her first set of infill's after 2 weeks FOC, this way it means she will be back...hopefully without picking them off, for you to look at and see for yourself how they are wearing.

Well I text her this morning ( perhaps I should of rung but she keeps texting me so I presume thats what she prefers to do lol) I said that although I was sorry to hear that about her nails I was also quite shocked to hear that any had broke and especially that she had removed them herself..and I asked how did they get broken and how did she manage to take them off herself. and then I said that unfortunately I cant do anything now until tuesday or wednesday.

So far ive not heard back from her so im not sure if she even wants me to go back or not...I didnt say I would do them for free...but I didnt say I wouldnt either. She hasnt even asked me for her money back ! I find that quite odd actually thinking about it.

Just another note....As with any system the foundations need to be half decent to start with...with gel i have found that the better condition the nails are in the better adhesion you will get...on very damaged nails the gel can just lift right off....I only mentioned this as it sounds like she has been through a few sysems/techs....and suffered some damage...what are her nails like now...?

Well her nails were very short but they seemed in pretty good shape...they were more on the thin side but I think they maybe more naturally thin and flat iykwim, there was a bit of damage on some which she said was where she had took the others off.

To be fair....whenever i get a client come who starts off saying "i have had my nails done here, here and here with this, this and this and none of them lasted"...alarm bells start to ring...either she has just had a run of back luck or she doesn't look after her nails.

Last edited by a moderator:
She is a cleaner at the hospital and was due to go to work after I had left, but she assured me she always wears gloves for work.

Gloves stop the nails getting dirty...not from breaking....if you bang your nail while wearing a glove, it will still break. I think its her and her job, picking, etc. x

Latest posts

Back