Brisa vs Brisa Lite sculpting gel and natural nail only techs

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinkyboots33

Reaction score
Hi guys, hope im not repeating myself here re my first question?

Question for those who have tried both Brisa and Brisa lite sculpting gel - would like to know if/why it feels any different? LOVE the smothing gel by the way!

Next question. Im also at a bit of a cross roads so after some wisdom frm you experienced geeks out there. Im cnd trained but find enhancemets difficult, not the actual application part, more the fitting tips,forms and avoiding breakages - I can do a good/decent looking set of nails but ALWAYS have breakages when using tips. Iv had 121 and tweeked a couple of things but still had problems. Not done any enhancemets since before xmas because of this but I sooooo love doing them. So my question is, is the many natural nail techs only out there that do make a good living?

i feel the same way about L&P and was considering doing the brisa lite sculpting course. I am so pernickity about enhancements when i get them myself and i know what i want them to look like but dont do them because im unhappy with them. I work full time in admin so dont actually do nails more of a hobby just now but would like to be mobile eventually. The problem i have is getting clients. Not giving up the day jobs yet.!!!lol.

i feel the same way about L&P and was considering doing the brisa lite sculpting course. I am so pernickity about enhancements when i get them myself and i know what i want them to look like but dont do them because im unhappy with them. I work full time in admin so dont actually do nails more of a hobby just now but would like to be mobile eventually. The problem i have is getting clients. Not giving up the day jobs yet.!!!lol.

It not easy! why not offer them for half price to get clients through the door, it will at least give you some practice.

See I'm at a crossroads too with enhancements. When I did nail training last year, I liked L&P but found it difficult to master and get lots of practice. I completely preferred gel, and was thinking of doing brisa training and concentrating on that so that I'm able to do one form of enhancement.

How do you know which one is best to do - gel or L&P?

I dont think you could say one was better than the other? Its a personal choice, i prefer brisa to L&P too... would be better to do both i suppose tho.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Hey Nicola...

I've had a chance to play around with the sculpting gel. I wouldnt say it was easier to use than traditional brisa.. it's just different! The scultping white seems to be thicker in viscosity and *appears* to be easier to maneuver into place. That may well just be an illusion though !

It sounds very much to me like you've hit the 'wall' and i have to say that i also did and very nearly gave up on enhancements completely... i'm really pleased i didn't and all issues i had in the beginning are now ironed out. I dont think any set of enhancements will be perfect but i'm quite happy to keep striving for that.

Have you tried sculpting? Tipping is important for certain clients but for the majority i find i can sculpt just fine. This might be an option for you just now and then you can work on your tip application on friends etc? x

Why not start with NNO with Brisa Lite sculpting gel? Do rebalances, let the natural nail grow out with the strength of the sculpting gel. Now you can promote you can grow your own nails long without tips. Keep practicing tips and forms so you can fix a break. Just don't let them get too long, if they start to break then you know their limit. I would still be sure to take the BL sculpting gel class.
I've done this with most of my clients and hear them boast "Oh, it's all my natural nails with just a coating on top! Lol

Hey Nicola...

I've had a chance to play around with the sculpting gel. I wouldnt say it was easier to use than traditional brisa.. it's just different! The scultping white seems to be thicker in viscosity and *appears* to be easier to maneuver into place. That may well just be an illusion though !

It sounds very much to me like you've hit the 'wall' and i have to say that i also did and very nearly gave up on enhancements completely... i'm really pleased i didn't and all issues i had in the beginning are now ironed out. I dont think any set of enhancements will be perfect but i'm quite happy to keep striving for that.

Have you tried sculpting? Tipping is important for certain clients but for the majority i find i can sculpt just fine. This might be an option for you just now and then you can work on your tip application on friends etc? x

Hey Holly :) I really am in two minds whether to invest in the gel or not? dont want to have more brisa sitting in the drawer and not being used. How/what made you go on Holly? Im a stubborn wee begger so not in my nature to let something beat me but I simply do not have the time or funds to be doing repairs forever. I did sculpt on a reg client before xmas who came bk with a couple of breakages, she much preferred them and they stayed put :biggrin: I do tend to panic a bit with forms though. Not sure which way to turn :-/

Why not start with NNO with Brisa Lite sculpting gel? Do rebalances, let the natural nail grow out with the strength of the sculpting gel. Now you can promote you can grow your own nails long without tips. Keep practicing tips and forms so you can fix a break. Just don't let them get too long, if they start to break then you know their limit. I would still be sure to take the BL sculpting gel class.
I've done this with most of my clients and hear them boast "Oh, it's all my natural nails with just a coating on top! Lol

Thanks Bo, I have a new client in next wee who will likely get smoothing gel and shellac but has a couple of breaks which i know will need extended, what makes it worse is that she has recently moved here and her previous nail tech was cnd trained - what im trying to say is, she is used to a high standard and sounds like she knows what she was talking about as she was telling me she would need form on a couple and her previous tech was brilliant :Scared:

Hey Holly :) I really am in two minds whether to invest in the gel or not? dont want to have more brisa sitting in the drawer and not being used. How/what made you go on Holly? Im a stubborn wee begger so not in my nature to let something beat me but I simply do not have the time or funds to be doing repairs forever. I did sculpt on a reg client before xmas who came bk with a couple of breakages, she much preferred them and they stayed put :biggrin: I do tend to panic a bit with forms though. Not sure which way to turn :-/

Kinky I too am at that wall , I can relate to everything you are saying . I am at the point of abandoning enhancements and sticking with the natural nail route . I think I may book some one to one sessions though first and take it from there x

Kinky I too am at that wall , I can relate to everything you are saying . I am at the point of abandoning enhancements and sticking with the natural nail route . I think I may book some one to one sessions though first and take it from there x

Its a rubbish feeling isnt :sad:
I think its a brill idea to book some 121, give it your best shot!
What is it you are finding difficult?

If you have Brisa in the drawer, try that for getting started with NNO. I use hard gel for NNO. It gives you practice applying the gel without fighting tips or forms. You don't just brush on like polish, float a layer on the natural nail. Then as they grow build an apex as needed. It's a great confidence builder! Clients love it. You build extra income and speed of service. Since you have hard gel underneath your gel polish you can file or use an e file to take it off.

Its a rubbish feeling isnt :sad:
I think its a brill idea to book some 121, give it your best shot!
What is it you are finding difficult?

Getting an apex in the correct place and file finishing I appear to be pants at both :Scared: I can make enhancements that last without the lifting , but I make odd shaped ones :biggrin: x

If you have Brisa in the drawer, try that for getting started with NNO. I use hard gel for NNO. It gives you practice applying the gel without fighting tips or forms. You don't just brush on like polish, float a layer on the natural nail. Then as they grow build an apex as needed. It's a great confidence builder! Clients love it. You build extra income and speed of service. Since you have hard gel underneath your gel polish you can file or use an e file to take it off.

Thanks Bo, my application is actually not too bad, just cant get them to last with tips and forms scare the living day lights outta me.

i can't say for sure what made me go on.. probably just being a stubborn git to be honest. I *knew* that some amazing nail technicians didn't start out amazing.. that it would take time and determination to work through it. I knew that i'd spent loads on training and products.. lots of money but also lots of time. It would have been such a waste just to throw it all away..

and Nicola i think that you feel like that too.. you just need to try and work through this next little bit. FORCE yourself to do it. I know it's time consuming and i know its frustrating having to repair breakages but even if you manage to do one or two sets and just keep working with those clients on aftercare and breakages. you WILL get there! I know you will! You do lovely nails.. don't just give up on it yet.

With the brisa forms there is a trick to it and the only way to get it down is to practice.. so maybe get one of the kids or your partner to sit down for half an hour every few nights and practice applying the forms to their nails.. you are just taking them back off again so it really doesnt matter who you do it to!

my other suggestion would be to keep your enhancements shortish for now and really really concentrate on apex placement. I know you'll have gone over the elements of design again since your course but sometimes i have to remind myself of the importance of structure.

i know you can do it Nicola.. and i'm always around for support if you need it x

Ladies, I so know where you are all coming from, I too hit that wall at 120 mph with L and P last year. I came away from cnd for a while cos I thought perhaps I didnt get on with the product and went elsewhere.

I only do about 3 to 4 sets of acrylic a week so practise wasnt all that good and I wasnt building up any confidence. I too had 121 with different people but I was fine for a week or two then I seemed to get stuck again.

I eventually a couple of months ago went back to cnd, kicked myself up the backside and went back to basics and read salongeek inside out for info. Last week for the first time in 2 and a half years none of my clients had lifting or any breakages. Couldnt bloody believe it, talk about top of the world feeling.

So dont give up, you need skills with all products I think to succeed in this game bacause the bottom line is people break nails, even me who is ultra careful and has the strongest nails ever. Keep you chin up girlies you will get there. :Love: xxxxxx

Getting an apex in the correct place and file finishing I appear to be pants at both :Scared: I can make enhancements that last without the lifting , but I make odd shaped ones :biggrin: x

seems like we have the opposite problems then, between us we could do a half decent set :wink2:

Ladies, I so know where you are all coming from, I too hit that wall at 120 mph with L and P last year. I came away from cnd for a while cos I thought perhaps I didnt get on with the product and went elsewhere.

I only do about 3 to 4 sets of acrylic a week so practise wasnt all that good and I wasnt building up any confidence. I too had 121 with different people but I was fine for a week or two then I seemed to get stuck again.

I eventually a couple of months ago went back to cnd, kicked myself up the backside and went back to basics and read salongeek inside out for info. Last week for the first time in 2 and a half years none of my clients had lifting or any breakages. Couldnt bloody believe it, talk about top of the world feeling.

So dont give up, you need skills with all products I think to succeed in this game bacause the bottom line is people break nails, even me who is ultra careful and has the strongest nails ever. Keep you chin up girlies you will get there. :Love: xxxxxx

Thanks for the words of encouragement :hug: hopfully we beat the :grr:

Hey Nicola...

Yes, it's definitely different than Brisa. BL is more viscous to me, it does stay in place where ou put it is I definitely think it would be great for beginners. I don't have problems with breaking when using tips, I have problems with breaking when doing sculpts. I imagine I'm not getting the structure right. I try to build the apex but always seem to get in wonky looking. I usually use welless tips vs well tips. It just depends on the client. I'm not going to replace Brisa for BL though. I like how BL applies but it's not ideal for me to wear since I'm using Nourishing remover a lot. I wouldn't want to end up with sticky nails. I do mostly gels now, some l&p. Gels totally freaked me out when I first started, but one day it just clicked. You can't expect a client not to break a nail, don't let that discourage you. They tend to think that their nails are indestructible when wearing enhancements so if they break one they learn they can't use their nails as tools!

i can't say for sure what made me go on.. probably just being a stubborn git to be honest. I *knew* that some amazing nail technicians didn't start out amazing.. that it would take time and determination to work through it. I knew that i'd spent loads on training and products.. lots of money but also lots of time. It would have been such a waste just to throw it all away..

and Nicola i think that you feel like that too.. you just need to try and work through this next little bit. FORCE yourself to do it. I know it's time consuming and i know its frustrating having to repair breakages but even if you manage to do one or two sets and just keep working with those clients on aftercare and breakages. you WILL get there! I know you will! You do lovely nails.. don't just give up on it yet.

With the brisa forms there is a trick to it and the only way to get it down is to practice.. so maybe get one of the kids or your partner to sit down for half an hour every few nights and practice applying the forms to their nails.. you are just taking them back off again so it really doesnt matter who you do it to!

my other suggestion would be to keep your enhancements shortish for now and really really concentrate on apex placement. I know you'll have gone over the elements of design again since your course but sometimes i have to remind myself of the importance of structure.

i know you can do it Nicola.. and i'm always around for support if you need it x

Thanks Holly, I think I need to give myself a good hard slap sometimes and need to get myself in that "zone" again I think :hug:

Latest posts

Back