Brisa with Clear tip thats scratched - wot I do wrong

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fab Freak

Reaction score
I need to ask a question, last night I did a clear tip with just clear gel and today when I look at the tip you can see the scratches where I filed it down to make it wafer thin.

What do you think I did wrong, should I use the girlfriend on the tip B4 I do the first lite layer of clear?

Yours confused geek.

Hi, dont use brisa but i always finish blending with a white block (or equivalent) so you dont see any file lines at all - dont know if you did this?

Aspirations said:
Hi, dont use brisa but i always finish blending with a white block (or equivalent) so you dont see any file lines at all - dont know if you did this?

Yes Thanks I did this ....but you can defo see them through the clear tip

Do you use a gel with clear tips?

Sorry Louise, ive only been doing gel a while and have only used pink or pink & white, with a clear finish on natural tips, not clear tips. I wouldnt have thought the scratches should show through whatever colour the tips were though? are they definately under the gel and not on the surface? sorry cant be more help, im sure geeg will have the answer! lol

Aspirations said:
Sorry Louise, ive only been doing gel a while and have only used pink or pink & white, with a clear finish on natural tips, not clear tips. I wouldnt have thought the scratches should show through whatever colour the tips were though? are they definately under the gel and not on the surface? sorry cant be more help, im sure geeg will have the answer! lol
Thanks anyway - I am curious which gel do you use...

NSI Balance gel, its really nice

If you work the gel well in, in a few different directions over the tip, it should stay nice and clear.

If you sweep the gel over the tip and it doesn't fill in the scratches, but cures on top of them, you will see scratch marks.

Ohhh so you fill in the scratches then? is that the same for l&p if using clear as sometimes i can see the scratches and the odd smear under the tip? (have only tried for nail art use a couple of times and wanted to ask this q before trying again) :)
Thanks
Jo xx

*Jo* said:
Ohhh so you fill in the scratches then? is that the same for l&p if using clear as sometimes i can see the scratches and the odd smear under the tip? (have only tried for nail art use a couple of times and wanted to ask this q before trying again) :)
Thanks
Jo xx
With L/P you can smooth the tip before application so there are no scratches, but with Gel, the surface cannot be too smooth or the gel will tend to not adhere well to the surface .... it needs the scratches to cling to on a tip ... they needn't be deep scratches, but the surface of the tip shouldn't be too smooth.

Ahhhh that makes sense :) I will remember to smooth the tip in future. Thankyou:)

Jo xx

geeg said:
If you work the gel well in, in a few different directions over the tip, it should stay nice and clear.

If you sweep the gel over the tip and it doesn't fill in the scratches, but cures on top of them, you will see scratch marks.

Thanks Gigi, I will practice again tonight...

hi guys whilst i was reading this thread i also wanted to ask for those of you who use clear tips with your gel (i use brisa :cool: ) could you let me know how you combat the old scrub freshing without making the clear tip cloudy? i realy like to scrub well for my prep and i dont know how i can avoid the tip from going cloudy and still making sure the nail is sanatised proply b4 gel application any idears peeps?xxxx

I hope I am understanding this.

ScrubFresh is only for the natural nail and should never touch the tip at all ... if it does you are bound to get cracking of the tip.

I just use the Nail Techs choice Gauze pads and work back towards the eponychium leaving out any area where the tip is adhered. It is still very easy to scrub, but in one direction.

nailsbynicola said:
hi guys whilst i was reading this thread i also wanted to ask for those of you who use clear tips with your gel (i use brisa :cool: ) could you let me know how you combat the old scrub freshing without making the clear tip cloudy? i realy like to scrub well for my prep and i dont know how i can avoid the tip from going cloudy and still making sure the nail is sanatised proply b4 gel application any idears peeps?xxxx
Just learned this at the CND roadshow:biggrin: use a lint free wipe, and scrub toward the cuticle. Start with the scrub fresh where the well of the tip ends on the nail plate and scrub toward the cuticle.

The other cool trick, buff with the boomerang board..it's the grey foam filled one (180 grit) and remove ALL dust, then work the gel into the tip to fill in the scratches on the tip.;)

Latest posts

Back