British Beauty Academy courses?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlenejohnson

Reaction score
Hi,

Has anyone trained with the british beauty academy, or know anyone who has. I was going to book onto their threading/eyelash extension and eyelash brow and tint course, but was looking to see if anyone had been on any of their courses before? The prices seem quite reasonable. I just don't want to get scammed, as I understand there are quite a few websites ripping off potential trainees out there.

I attended a course with them, hoping to add threading to my menu.
I was, of course, attracted by the price initially.
There was very little theory which is fine is you have previous experience in certain areas in the beauty industry ie: waxing, if not though, how are you supposed to be able to spot contra indications and avoid infection with half hours reading?
We then got paired up and spent an hour threading each others arms. Had a break, then maybe 2 hrs max doing each others eyebrows.
Considering this was supposed to be an intensive course we started at about 10.30am and were finished by 2pm after only doing 1 set of eyebrows!
Ok we were told to go away and "practice, practice, practice", but how after 3 1/3 hrs we are given a fully insurable certificate is beyond me. I didn't feel confident at the end of the course and will be booking the more expensive one I should've gone to in the first place.

I should add, there were about 12 people on the course, in that kind of environment I think about 8 max is acceptable for the tutor to be able to pay enough attention to each individual.
I also had a drink and a chat with 4 of the other students after the course and found that they too had similar opinions about the course as me.

Please take this as my own experience as I do not intend to offend anyone who has had better experiences than me with this school.

Last edited:
I contacted them about a course and they never got back to me. I didnt bother chasing them and I booked somewhere else instead. Where r u based x

something to remember when it comes to 1 day/private courses etc is that you wont be an expert at the endof it. anybody who tells you you can become an expert at something with a couple of hours training are talking absolute rubbish. the courses are to give you the basics of the treatment, it's then down to you to do your own research and reading up on the theory side of the treatment and to practise the actual treatment in your own time.x

I do agree with you about one day courses Missconfused. It's just that I have had very good experiences with another school on day courses I have attended, the standards between the 2 were massively different.x

The other school was Creative Academy Plus in Bournemouth by the way!x

Last edited:
if you were taught to do simple hair cut over and over for 3/4 hours then practice practice even if u werent a hair dresser you would be able to cope and do it...these day course are similar in my experience certainly not detailed enough or thorough enough to feel confident to go it alone on paying customers...you get wot you pay for perhaps, suits some who may have some knowlegde/insight im sure but not the beginner, x

I've just attended their course and now don't feel very confident. To me it felt very rushed and we finished even earlier. I did the tint course after and had finished both by 2pm!!

I've since tried threading on my very brave husband and found it really difficult.

I think it would be ok if it were an actual full day and less in the class - there were 10 with 1 trainer, which is way too many.

I'd try another course.

I did my whole training at the London college of beauty therapy including threading. It's broken up into 3 evenings of a couple hours each and the tutor is lovely. 1st lesson you thread each others arms and then you're told to go away and practice for a week on anyone you can. Second week you're taught how to do eyebrows and lip etc after you've mastered the technique and shown u can do it. Go away and practice on peoples eyebrows for another week and the final session is your assessment. The practicing is down to you but you get all the support you need. Kit and course I think is about 100 but I'm not sure. It is worth it and recognised by the guild etc. Hope this helps x

I've just been on the course. Wanted to private message you about it but not sure how to do this as only just joined yesterday! Will have a go when i've figured out how to use this site properly. K-Lashes

Hi guys many thanks for all your responses. K lashes pm me your experience with this company! I am eager to hear from u regarding how if all went. X I have got some threading experience in that I can self thread my own eyebrows. A friend of mine taught me the technique a couple of years ago, so I have an idea of the process.

I booked on their lash extension course and then enquired if i could do the perming and tinting. They told me i could do all three in one day as I could stay after lash course finished. I expected to be there until at least 7pm but completed all three by about 4pm! The lash course finished early as the people who picked it up quickly left! I was the model for two people as one had lenses in and couldn't model. I had about 10 mins guidance on my model and given certificate after applying3 lashes! Suffice to say that i do not feel at all confident in this technique and now looking at booking with flirties! I wasn't going to post anything negative but since i contacted the lash and brow academy enquiring about attending more training as i didn't feel confident she did not bother to get back to me!! You need to ensure you get good aftercare and not go with someone who isn't interested once they have your money. On a positive note, the written material and the kit (included in the price) was good so my money was not completely wasted! Hope you find some good training and best of luck! :confused:

i phoned twice to book up and havent got back to me yet .. really glad now after reading your experiences - 12 to a class!!!:Scared:

Yep, 13 to a class in ours!

just had a peek at the website.
you could issue a complaint regarding the time of the training.
when a course is accredited they state how long is spent on practical work and theory work, if the finish way before the time stated then really they should change the stated hours with the accreditation companies as they have based CPD points and accrediation on that

Hello :)
Did you attend the course in the end?
I am looking into attending it as I did waxing and spray tanning with the british beauty academy and found them quite good.
x

I agree with Anne. Courses are accredited for a reason and the whole point of certification is to provide a reliable standard that can be recognised.

Sadly it seems there is still companies who don't seem to see the importance and just how fundamental good training is in order to get you set up as a therapist.

It's of course hard to know which training is good but "cheap" can sometimes become expensive of you have to retrain or buy new or additional equipment or products.

Check if the company is accredited for their training and ask to speak to the trainer. Find out how many students are in the course and how much time will be spent on theory and Practice and you will get a pretty good idea 😉

Hi, I trained in tinting, waxing threading and eyelash extensions with these. I have to say it really depends on your learning style and how quick you can pick things up. I went home and practiced practiced practiced and I am now confident when doing lashes and tinting and threading, however I have not done Any waxing since the course as I just don't feel comfortable, there was hardly any practical for waxing as was at end of day so I think they were rushing. We ended up "pretending" to put the wax on and "pretending" to take the wax off.

Needless to say this is not the way to learn! I will be looking at other waxing courses once I can afford it.

X

HelloVictoria I hope my replying does not reach u too late!

I'm not a kind of person who has difficulty leaning things; i have steady hands as i used to work in nursing but i went for that training in london and to be honest with you my friend... The time is too short to become a professional and to leave that room wih confidence. the tutor asked a couple of times if we had any doubt and as i said in the class, we always remember them after we have left the place even though we feel underpressure to raise questions when we are asked
I do not recommend. I've been now getting information from other sources to justify having a certificate and to build my confidence because i left that room with the sensation that i was ripped off and full of regrets

ops just now i realised that Victoria post her question two years ago

As i said girls they should b more prepared and raise questions themselves (things they in heir very experience know will cross the learners mind ) and also share some experinces to make u aware of situations that we in our professional life may come across , specially in the beginning;
I was a model for the tutor and for my colleague, i practiced very little and in the end of the day came home with one brow done and other halfway through. Believe me. unless they improved lately ....

It's good that you've put this post up, even if it is in reply to an old post. I was looking for info on this co. recently and luckily (in time) found enough info on here to put me off spending (wasting) any money with them xxxx

Latest posts

Back