business advice needed!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxchelsxx

Reaction score
hi all!

im renting a room/nail bar in a hairdressers and im due to start on monday. it is in a busy town centre & i have spent most of the week passing out leaflets & getting word out. at the min im just debating on what hours i should do???
the salon is open 6 days a week with two late nights and il definetly be doing one of the late nights & on a monday as most other salons in the area are closed. Do i have a day off during the week or do two half days??
i am also thinking of doing an incentive for clients, e.g refere 3 clients and receive a free/half price treatment. iv had a few people enquiring about gift vouchers but not many bookings as yet, should i be focusing alot more on advertising for the next few weeks?

any advice would be a great help, thanks

chels xx

I wouldn't decide on a day off yet wait and see what day is the quietest
and go for that day off, you maybe lucky and not have a quiet day!
I wouldn't worry that you have no bookings yet you just need to let people
know that you are there. You could do an opening offer for the first week
to encourage people to come and try you out!
I bet your really excited!
hope it all goes well for you:hug:

Wow! How exciting for you! I'm with Michelle, I'd wait and see which days aren't busy and take a break then. But whilst you're in 'start up' mode you might have to work all hours God sends! :eek:

If folk are already asking about gift vouchers I'd get some made up ASAP. You don't want to lose that sale.

As for an active referral programme. Definitely! Using your clients as a sales force for you is a big bonus! Make sure you reward them hansomly!

I know this has worked well for people in your position: Structure a really great offer. Then make sure you give the treatment to every hair stylist in the salon for free. Then leave leaflets about the offer in the salon and make a little competition for the stylist that referrs the most clients. You'll soon be very busy.

Lastly, if you can, when you're not busy, see if you can go into the salon and do little treatments on clients whilst they're having their hair done for free. You'll be amazed at how many will book in for a full treatment.

Good luck! :hug:

I would wait and see what the quietest days are then have 2 half days, or you could alternate it, do 1 week taking a day off, and the next doing 2 half days?

With christmas coming up soon (its only 21 weeks away, not that i'm counting :lol:) it is a good idea to offer gift vouchers, so that the recievers can choose their own treatment & at a time to suit them.

Just to add onto what Martin has said, I'm starting in a hair salon in a few weeks, and i've been advised to offer the hair clients a half price mini manicure whilst their colour is developing. Also, if you put one of your pricelists on each of the hair stations for clients to see, or make a point of going over and introducing yourself to them when you are not busy.

I've been open for a month and I guess you never really know what to expect when you are preparing.

Like you, my appointment book was empty before the phone was hooked up. And I've been open for a month and have done 84 appointments so far, AND I'm booked solid for at least the next three weeks.

I think the key is to rebook. I casually mention during my service about how surprisingly well the business is going, how I'm completely booked yadda yadda....and then as I'm taking payment I'll say something like.."Well, that polish on your toes will get at least two or three weeks before you'll want it touched up. What day is best for you to come back?" (As I'm opening my agenda) "Like I said, things are booking quickly, I'd hate to not have an opening. We should book you back in while you are here."

Or same thing for a fill, or a manicure....whatever.

I have only had three clients not rebook and they were all from out of town just here visiting.

I have had a few people change appointments last minute which would give me a free afternoon, and I'd take it. Just run out the door and flip the sign to "Closed" on my way.

I have made it clear on my storefront sign, my business cards, and website that I operate "By Appointment Only", that way I can sneak out early if I ever get the chance. It doesn't mean I'd never take a walk-in, but just that I'm trying to groom my clients into booking appointments so scheduling myself and my family time becomes a little easier to manage.

Best of luck!

Latest posts

Back