Business funding - you might be eligible

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

'chelle

Reaction score
Hi

I just wanted to let you all now about this funding.

My local council operates a small business development fund, they call it "Kickstart". Since I left my job and opened my salon, I'm earning nothing for the forseeable future so I went to my benefits office to apply for council tax rebate. I picked up this leaflet while I was there for kickstart and I'm so glad I did.

Basically, as a small business with development plans I am eligible to claim a grant of £1500 (although for some it can be up to £3000) for what they call professional services. This is anything you need to promote and develop your business, eg leaflets, shop signs, a book keeping system, a website etc. You dont actually get the money, they have appointed companies who do the work and they are paid directly, but this is money that you dont have to pay back.

In addition to this, I am also eligible to apply for a loan. This is a government loan, not a bank loan. Its for up to £5000, and the repayments start low, and increase over the loan period, the theory being that the payments increase in proportion to your increased takings. They did say that they can work with your business, so eg if you have a really quiet period and cant afford the repayments, provided you stay in touch with them, they can re-adjust the payments so its affordable. The whole point of this is that they are there to help your business develop.

As part of this, you get someone to do your book keeping for the first 12 months of your business, and you get a monthly mentoring visit from a small business advisor who has particular knowlege about your area of business (so I get visits from the bloke who knows about the beauty industry).

We all know how hard it can be to start a new business, and things like this can be invaluable. I wanted to let you all know so you can see if your local council runs a similar scheme, you dont have to be a new business, it just needs to be a small business that wants to develop.

So, if you need some extra business funds at the moment, give them a ring!

WOW

I've never thought I could claim anything!

Can you let me know who to contact and where?

thanks!

Yes.... Me tooooo!!

Is this for people that haven't even started yet or for people that have started and maybe struggling with resources to advertise etc?

If you can supply the contact number etc..... What a help that would be

Carly x

The website address for the people who do the loans is

Business Enterprise Fund. Businesses and enterprises funding and financing in Bradford, Leeds and West Yorkshire

The people who do the grants for advertising etc are

Bradford Kickstart

Please bear in mind that the first website is only applicable to the west yorkshire region from what I can see, and the second website is only relevant to people whose businesses are in the Bradford district (not sure if you have to live in Bradford aswell), but if you are based outside of these areas it might be worth a look so that you can enquire with your local council to see if they offer a similar scheme.

Dont be backward in coming forward when it comes to claiming what you are entitled to ladies (and gents). I know some will have read this thread and thought "why should I work my ass off and pay tax for you to get freebies" etc, but personally I have paid tax at an extortionate rate for the past 15 years, its about time I saw some benefit from it rather than it being spent on dole dossers who have no intention of getting out there and doing something for themselves:green:.

Thanks so much 'chelle. I need to get my new west yorkshire business up and running and some funding would be great!

thanks hun:hug:

Thank you so much for sharing this information with us all. It may be just what I need to help me find my feet again after my baby arrives. If this works out I will most definitely be offering you a luxury pedicure if you can make it into London :hug:

This is excellent thanks, i am really struggling about setting up havent got a clue where to start so will be contacting these people.

Thanks

Sam

thanks for charing that info - it could make quite a difference.
what happens if you are not in w yorks is there simalar things in other areas???
where would i find out
thanks chelle

WOW!
thanks for the info
xx:hug:xx

HI
I have just read through these posts and thought this is just what I am looking for to help me get started.
I am from Romford, Essex and I have looked at Havering council and they do not do a business grant as such, but they have a link for the East London Small Business centre which covers areas such as London Borough Tower Hamlets, London Borough of Newham, London Borough of Redridge, London Borough of barking and Dagenham and lastly London Borough of Havering.
Hope this helps some of you as I hope it helps me.
Thanks again.
Sam:green:

Shame its only for England based companies. Nothing in Scotland!!!:cry:

Latest posts

Back