Business plans

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beck

Arty geek
Reaction score
I was just thinking that some of you geeks must have done a business plan at some point, and was hoping you might give me some tips (excuse the pun) I am struggling to know how nail salons actually survive and make a profit. Here is what i know; shops around the area i am looking (in towns, not neccessaily on high street) are around £10,000 for a small shop, but big enough for say 3 techs, would you say this is too much to pay in rent? Then there is the rates, lecky, water, insurance, products, and then you have to pay wages if you do have techs working for you. if techs work for £10 per hour (as popular geek voting would imply) and you charge £15 for a manicure which lasts an hour, that leaves you with £5 which you still have to pay for the electric and water used as well as the product useage! i can't get it to add up to a profit.

Also how do you forecast how many clients you will get? do you say, there are 8 hours in a day and i will fill the day, or do you assume you will only do 1 client a ady for the first month? it is all very confusing.

One last question, on the star course we were told a set of nails would cost us approx £3.50 to complete, but i don't know creatives cost, does any one know?

someone pplllease help set my head straight as i feel i am going around in circles, and i keep wondering if i will ever have my own salon.

Beck.

Interesting!!!! The approximate cost of a set of Creative Nail Enhamcements is about 3.50!! If you sculpt it is about 2.30!!

Hiya

I think i remember ruth "nailsinlondon1" replying to a post about this do a search and it may come up or pm her.
You need to think if you are employing someone that if it takes her 2 hours to do a set and you pay her £5.50 an hour thats £11.00 then you have to pay your share of her tax and nic plus all your extra on top so you have to work out what you will be charging per set. This is presuming that your tech can complete a good set in 2 hours some newbies carnt, or you could pay a percentage of what they do. DONT forget that if it is your business then ultimately it is YOUR reputation.

Hi Beck, I tried to do mine by calculating the working hours in a day, and deciding to input a range of treatments throghout the day... allowing for the less expensive treatments too.... so saying I would do one full set, two sets of infils, two manicures or a tan. I calculated how much I would charge, and also to be fair worked out that I would not be full all day initially. I then took 20% from my final answer..... I know this sounds a bit mad. But after the first year in business, I actually managed,( by the skin of my teeth) to stay right on track. I hope to gain a 12% increase this year as I now have a regular client base. So far this is pretty much the case. (But I daren't sit back just yet!).... If you really want it to work, it can...

I found I had to compromise early on though for room rental, and took an upstairs shop in the local high street. Some people loaclly still say they haven't heard of the shop, even though it's in the centre of town, because people simply don't look up!!
Once you're settled, you will soon get a reputation....hopefully a good one!

Try not to go over your head initially with spending. Because although you have to speculate to accumulate, you also need to get a little behind you to see you through the lean times...
Good luck.... I felt the way you do nearly two years ago...and I had the added difficulty of finding out that I was pregnant just one week before signing the lease. Of course I signed, had moments of real dread with how I would manage, But I am still here and enjoyoing every minute of it.... Baby is 9 months old now and business is growing.

You can do anything you want to, if you REALLY want it!

Sue

beck said:
Also how do you forecast how many clients you will get? do you say, there are 8 hours in a day and i will fill the day, or do you assume you will only do 1 client a ady for the first month? it is all very confusing.

One last question, on the star course we were told a set of nails would cost us approx £3.50 to complete, but i don't know creatives cost, does any one know?

someone pplllease help set my head straight as i feel i am going around in circles, and i keep wondering if i will ever have my own salon.

Beck.

WOW, i can't imagine doing all this and finding out i was pregnant! you must have some real stamina behind you. i know what you mean by getting upstairs premises, alot of people do it and as long as you do your advertising right, it should work out, i'll have to look for something cheaper i think. you can always move to bigger premises, can't you! Thanks for that, it's definately good to know you've managed it with a new baby aswell.LOL

Beck.

In www.nailsplash.com barb tell us how she overlaps clients so that she can take less time with each one without neglecting either of them. She has some other nice ideas in running the business. She also recommends the LCN lightbox, because as she says it cures gel in half the time as other, and time is money :) Besides, after a while most of your clients will be infills instead of new sets, and the cost of these is lower right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back