Business | The Rise Of The Mobile Therapist

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ed.

Reaction score
At risk of causing an geek-shaped uproar, I'm going to make a statement that, while not necessarily popular, is nonetheless true: until recently, the mobile therapist has been viewed as the poor relation to the otherwise glamorous beauty industry.

Traditionally, the mobile therapist has been viewed as a "cheaper option". The assumption is that they don't offer the same level of luxury that a salon can, their treatment menu can't be as extensive and it's simply not as much of a treat if you feel you have to tidy and hoover your own house before your treatment.

However, for whatever reason, the mobile therapist has, in recent years, clawed their way into contention. Some suggest that the tough financial times has forced us to re-evaluate the importance of paying more money for treatments in salons with huge overheads. Others suggest that the development of treatments and products specifically for the mobile market has allowed them to compete effectively with salon menus. Or, perhaps, we are simply becoming more open-minded and, frankly, less snobby about it.

Whatever the reason, there are certain truths. Firstly, you get a one-on-one relationship with a mobile therapist that you simply don't get with a salon therapist. The simple act of opening your house to them requires an intimacy that a salon simply can't recreate. Secondly, the mobile therapist eliminates any feelings of intimidation that some people feel when entering salons for the first time and, finally?

Finally, you don't even have to get out of your track-pants if you don't want to!

Here's to mobile therapists changing the perception of the mobile beauty industry one client at a time but is the transformation complete? Is there still work to be done on our perception of the mobile therapist? Have they complete shed the 'poor relation' title?

Until then...geek on!

The Ed.

Attachments

• iStock_000021292784XSmall.jpg
    iStock_000021292784XSmall.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 900
Last edited:
I agree that the cheapo option mobile therapist reputation is slowly being replaced by a recognition of therapists offering salon brands and high standard treatments. I'm mobile, I don't do cheap tans or use cheap products and I take my time with clients, develop relationships and am courteous and polite and respect their homes. There's a lot of mobile therapists around but the over riding factor is clients perceptions of them when seeking out one, from comments about unprofessional Facebook pages, no website, unknown names of products and the general air of pile it high and sell it cheap.
I've invested a huge amount of time in developing my website and its gotten me a lot of business and a huge amount of positive feedback on how professional it is, this seems to reassure the clients and they can read up on my qualifications and treatments and be sure of a professional treatment. I come from a retail background working in one of Dublins premier shopping streets as well as out of town centres and I understand customers, I know what they want and I know the type of customer I want to attract. It's worked so far and I will continue to promote the benefits of a good mobile therapist and the benefits it brings to the client.
There's room for all of us, salon or mobile and one should not discount the other.

Of course we are changing the way people think about it. Having somebody come to your house and pamper you is just as relaxing than going to a salon. You don't have to try and park, worry about getting a ticket, walking through the town with oil in your hair and you don't have to drive after.

As long as we all keep up the high standards, clients will continue to see that in fact, mobile treatments are just as good!

Last edited:
Hear hear - there's definitely a place in the market for mobile therapists.

The good thing these days is clients have options. I don't favour one over the other, I'm happy in a salon, mobile or home salon- I offer the latter two mostly home salon now which has enabled me to start to expand in to beauty without the car load of this that and the other :) my hairdresser is a fellow geek, she's mobile, prices just below a salon but that's not the issue for me. In a word she's fabulous! And not just in the way she cuts and colours my hair. I love her mobile back wash, the shoulder and neck massage she gives me and her enthusiasm and knowledge. I could go to a salon but why would I? She's brilliant!

I have clients who need mobile due to circumstances, lifestyle or mobility. I have clients who have gone straight in to my home salon and love the fact its quiet peaceful and they're not on show. My mum dreads salons, isn't to keen on mobile but after showing her my home salon she's all for using them. I started with a mobile hairdresser as I had a young son or worked full time. My sister loves the whole salon experience.

My point is how lucky are people to have a choice these days. We're all different, have different needs, want different things. How great is it that as an industry we are able to accommodate everyone :) not every industry can boast that :)

Sent from my GT-S5839i using SalonGeek

My point is how lucky are people to have a choice these days. We're all different, have different needs, want different things. How great is it that as an industry we are able to accommodate everyone :) not every industry can boast that :)

I agree with happy feet about the choice the client has. I also think it used to be the mindset of clients that because a therapist worked in a salon they were better at their jobs but clients are experiencing the alternatives and realising good professional therapists and treatments are available outside of the salon.
I have one client who makes me chuckle as she likes to phone her friends whilst I'm doing her treatments to let them know her beautician has arrived and to tell them what she is having done, she loves the fact that I have gone to her and that makes her feel special.

Similar to mobile Nail Stylists - and the ones I know ROCK!!! There is a place for everyone and depending on what the customer wants - she has amazing options that didnt exist in the late 80's early 90's. So cheers to PROFESSIONAL Mobile girls and guys the UK over - great article Ed!!!:Love:

I'd posit another reason to add to the others - with an increase in the number of people 'qualifying' as therapists there is more competition for salon jobs. I know of quite a few mobile therapists who would rather work in a salon as they don't like lugging their stuff about, but have found there are very few salon jobs about now, so have gone mobile instead.

I'd posit another reason to add to the others - with an increase in the number of people 'qualifying' as therapists there is more competition for salon jobs. I know of quite a few mobile therapists who would rather work in a salon as they don't like lugging their stuff about, but have found there are very few salon jobs about now, so have gone mobile instead.

Obviously that's not all mobile therapists opinions...;) All that lugging is my weekly exercise! lol

I love what I do. I would never go and work back in a spa. It's such a personal and trusting thing for a client to open their house to us so we can make them feel better :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I know of quite a few mobile therapists who would rather work in a salon as they don't like lugging their stuff about, but have found there are very few salon jobs about now, so have gone mobile instead.

Obviously that's not all mobile therapists opinions...;) All that lugging is my weekly exercise! lol

Mine too!!

For the record I'm not a failed salon wannabe :wink2:, I set up mobile from the outset and am still mobile 8 years on! I believe if you offer a good, reliable, professional mobile service you earn loyalty and respect from clients. Being mobile also gives you real flexibility in working hours. Best of all worlds as far as I'm concerned.

It's nice to get some recognition - cheers Ed :biggrin:

I've been mobile for 5 years now, and I love it. When I'm busy my back hurts, my living room looks like Beiruit with towels all over the place, and I don't know what the back seat of my car looks like any more, because it always has my couch on it...but I'm happy!!!!

I left the industry briefly 6 years ago, and realised I had made a mistake...but didn't want to go back to work in a salon, making money for someone else while I was on minimum wage...I didn't have anyone to help fund a salon with me, couldn't do it on my own, and didn't feel ready to own my own salon anyway...i didn't have a room at home to work from....but I missed treatments. So what better way than to go mobile???

I get to do the treatments I love, I get to set my own hours, work for myself, have minimal overheads...! And I have such lovely clients it doesn't really feel like work. I am highly qualified, experienced, and at the risk of sounding big-headed, I am goos at what I do. So why charge rock bottom prices? I use professional products, get good results, and actually care about my clients.

So I agree - more power to the mobile therapists out there!!! It can be hard work, but it's so worth it, and we are a valuable part of the industry!!!

It takes a lot of strength and confidence to be mobile and rely on it as your main source of income. I'm prefering working for someone else at the moment but I really take my hat off to people who reach a point where they take the bull by the horns and choose to go self employed.

I'm mobile and have never entertained the idea of working in a salon. I love the flexibility and not going to the same place day in day out.
Some if my ladies feel intimidated by salons or just can't get away from the home for a few hours.
As someone else has mentioned too lugging everything about is exercise. My bingo wings are firming up nicely.

The only downside is in the bad weather it's no pleasant but I think that makes us more appreciated :)

I have also put this on my website

Please don't think you will get any less professional service and treatment from not going to a salon. Many of my clients have commented on their first appointment how pleasantly surprised they have been at the level of service and professionalism they have received.

I'm trained by CND and treatments are done exactly how they should be. No cutting corners missing steps out.

It's the ones that buy their kit from Argos or fleabay and think that's it I am sorted that make me sad for the poor clients that get them. (But i don't mind surprising them pleasantly when I see them :) No training no insurance and we know that HMRC won't have them on file. Proper regulation is needed.

Vicki x x

I'm working in a salon full time and doing every hour god sends to fit in my private clients. I really want to get a part time job and go mobile! But am so nervous?! Any advice?! I do both hair and beauty and have quite a few home clients! Just need to find a little part time job so I'm not as quite!
Xx
Follow me @perfectbeautyu
http://www.facebook.com/perfectbeautyuncovered171?ref=ts&fref=ts

Hi, I have been mobile for 20 years now and I love it. It is alot more personal and you build up a better rapport. What im finding now is im treating my clients children. Watched them grow up and now have become clients, its great.

I find being mobile actually secures me more clients as I can travel to them, less hassle and if they have children then hair extensions maintenance can be done without the need for a babysitter. X

I'm working in a salon full time and doing every hour god sends to fit in my private clients. I really want to get a part time job and go mobile! But am so nervous?! Any advice?! I do both hair and beauty and have quite a few home clients! Just need to find a little part time job so I'm not as quite!
Xx
Follow me @perfectbeautyu
http://www.facebook.com/perfectbeautyuncovered171?ref=ts&fref=ts

Personally having a part time job and your own business never works for me if you have your own business it takes over your life lol and you need to dedicate ALL your time and your thoughts into your business if it's going to work and be a success, any one agree ?

Personally having a part time job and your own business never works for me if you have your own business it takes over your life lol and you need to dedicate ALL your time and your thoughts into your business if it's going to work and be a success, any one agree ?

I totally agree, I'm a mobile hairdresser and have been for 2&1/2 yes now, I've done the whole salon thing, worked for others and had my own and being mobile is definitely the most time consuming in as much as there's always something that needs doing or a client wanting you, I love it though, and as much as its hard work it's thoroughly enjoyable and not like a job at all :D

We find that more and more we are supplying to and dealing with mobile businesses and people that are setting up for various treatments at home.

If they are able to market themselves effectively and offer a high quality of service (and in the case of from home services environment), then they are being very successful, particularly with a lot of the laser treatments / ipl systems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very good topic.
I'm mobile and love it:) had the salon, worked for others, had total break from hair when my kids were smaller.
I am always on time, never early.
Always maintain a professional relationship even though you do get closer to your clients.
Always use good products. At Christmas, I gave little packs of conditioning treatments to my colours.
I appreciate them.
Always do my very best and try to see them with fresh eyes when they want a change.
What other job will let me work around my kids? It's fab:)

Latest posts

Back