Buying a £20 UV lamp-planning on using multiple gel polishes?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxy_princess

Reaction score
Hi lovelies. Ive ordered a £20 36w lamp off amazon and im planning on using gelish and ibd gel polishes with it. Not going to use shellac as I hear you have to use the CND lamp which I will not be able to afford for a while lol
Just wondering if anyone uses a generic lamp with IBD or Gelish and what results they've gotten with it

All replies welcome

Who are you using this on? Your insurance won't cover you to use a lamp bought from Amazon. You have to be very careful with curing as of the lamp isn't quite strong enough the gel will looked cured when in actual fact it's not :-(

You can use any UV 36watt lamp to cure Gelish, if I were you I'd check with the distributors of the other systems you want to use to see what kind of lamp they recommend. CND Shellac is not the only system that stipulates you require their lamp for a full cure. Not following manufacturers directions will indeed invalidate your Insurance.

Last edited:
You can use any UV 36watt lamp to cure Gelish, if I were you I'd check with the distributors of the other systems you want to use to see what kind of lamp they recommend. CND Shellac is not the only system that stipulates you require their lamp for a full cure. Not following manufacturers directions will indeed invalidate your Insurance.

Thanks for your response. I only want something that is able to effectively cure several brands. If I must get the IBD lamp I shall, only if I can use it on Gelish too. I also want to try the Akzentz range (Hazel Dixon is a distributor) or Light Elegance. Its difficult for me cause im the type of person who likes to use different things from different brands ;( I hate the idea of sticking to one brand

Thanks for your response. I only want something that is able to effectively cure several brands. If I must get the IBD lamp I shall, only if I can use it on Gelish too. I also want to try the Akzentz range (Hazel Dixon is a distributor) or Light Elegance. Its difficult for me cause im the type of person who likes to use different things from different brands ;( I hate the idea of sticking to one brand

Reading a previous post of yours it reads like you already use the CND Led lamp as you give advice on it... :confused: I'm easily confused though!

Reading a previous post of yours it reads like you already use the CND Led lamp as you give advice on it... :confused: I'm easily confused though!

Which post is that? Lol you can't assume I use something because I said what you have to do in order to use CND. Theres enough CND ravers on here that you learn things through them.

Which post is that? Lol you can't assume I use something because I said what you have to do in order to use CND. Theres enough CND ravers on here that you learn things through them.

I believe it's probably this one where you say you use the new CND LED lamp:

Im wondering this also. I notice when I place all 5 fingers in the lamp the thumbs on its side so doesn't get even exposure from the bulbs. I would suggest curing 4 fingers on each hand then the two thumbs separately if your chips are on the thumbs

I believe it's probably this one where you say you use the new CND LED lamp:

Im wondering this also. I notice when I place all 5 fingers in the lamp the thumbs on its side so doesn't get even exposure from the bulbs. I would suggest curing 4 fingers on each hand then the two thumbs separately if your chips are on the thumbs

I can't believe you would jump to assume I use a CND lamp! Wow! I didn't even specify a brand! Hilarious

I wish people would stop assuming and ask. I use the college's uv lamp which is a weird unbranded dome shaped one and seems to me I have the same issue with this lamp thats why I suggested a 4 finger cure as it might help. Dear oh deary me

People probably presumed you used the cnd led lamp because the whole thread was based specifically on this lamp. It wasn't a thread about generic problems with all lamps, it is even titled Cnd led lamp. So i don't think people are wrong in presuming thats the lamp you were talking about.

I'm just a newbie too, but I'm currently lookkng at lamps and for a decent one you are going to have to pay quite a bit more than £20. I'm one for bargains, but if it isn't gokng to work with your products it may lose you clients. I would try to buy the one that goes with the system you will use. At the end of the day, it's an investment in to your future and you want to give a nice professional appearance and service too x ☺

Why not buy a lamp and system together and start as you mean to go on? Less hassle all round, better results and a proper pro service to offer people. I wouldn't want to be using anything off amazon on paying customers

I recently purchased the Gelish 36Watt Professional lamp as I was using a cheap one, I found that the cheaper one I had to cure the nail for a lot longer than suggested, I had each layer put under for 1 minute 30 seconds, then when I Applied top it off, I left it under for 3/4 minutes just to be safe, whereas with my new lamp I only need 30 seconds and the finished result is a lot better, my clients have found that the Gelish has lasted a lot longer as well.

I would not buy electrical unbranded goods imported from China.

It seems an unnecessary increased risk & will be a waste of money if it doesn't pass electrical inspection so quite possibly a false economy. It also comes with no warranty whatsoever.

Also, and this is just my opinion, it looks unprofessional even to laypeople. In a world of google they will quickly realise you bought the cheapest unbranded light available. That might lead some to conclude you are willing to compromise on safety & quality if it saves you ££££. It's not the image I would want to cultivate!

I have got the gellux led, its new out, and perfect for mobile work was about £75. If you are using ibd then ring Graftons and they will help you. Ibd don't seem to fussy about what lamp you use cos they are only selling the little pink one until they bring more lamps out next year x

The salon I work in uses a generic 36w UV to cure artistic colour gloss and it works fine.
Most brands say use either their LED or a 36w UV.

i had a generic 36w lamp and it worked fine for what i used at time (i now have cnd lamp) however i would never buy one from amazon!! x

i had a generic 36w lamp and it worked fine for what i used at time (i now have cnd lamp) however i would never buy one from amazon!! x

Where can I buy a good quality generic lamp if not on amazon then?

Where can I buy a good quality generic lamp if not on amazon then?
From a legitimate Beauty Wholesaler. Sally Salon Services, Beauty Express, Ellisons are the main ones. Or of course buy one from a distributor of a gel polish system.
Buy the best you can, it is a capital expense after all, and an important part of your business.

Latest posts

Back