Calgel advertised, but not Calgel used

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macca smiles

Reaction score
Just a little bit of a rant....

i pride myself in using the product that i advertise !! now surely this shouldn't come as a surprise, but my god !! i have a small non traditional beauty room in a tiny town. In the space of 3 days i have had 4 ladies yes 4 ring for an appointment to have 'calgel' either soaked off or infilled.

After asking at least twice if its def Calgel and being reassured it is booked in the ladies

EVERY one was acrylic or at least def not Calgel the soak offs took obv 3 times longer.
These poor ladies had been travelling to different salons time and time again believing to have Calgel on their nails.

I have now re-educated them as to the Calgel process but was wondering how often this happens to you ??

rant over hehe

yes... more and more times it is happening.
had a lady in today wanted shellac removed... turned out it was just normal nail polish.

A few times we have had people come in thinking they have gel and they have acrylic, or vise versa.

I always hear the same thing, being told its gel but its acrylics.

Customers definetly need educating on different systems n products so they get what they pay for.

I get that all the time. They've been to a salon to have gels but in fact they have acrylic. Also, a new trend in my area is calling their acrylic service "solar nails" and telling clients it's a cross between acrylic and gel. But all they're doing is applying acrylic and adding a gel top coat. Once I tell them what they've got on their nails, I usually get pretty loyal clients. Nothing is wrong with acrylics of course, but charging clients more because they think it's gel is wrong.

Actually gel is acrylic :) although is does seem these ladies have been misinformed in some way or there has been some confusion.

I tend to refer to gels as gels and what most people call acrylic's as liquid and powder. L&P's.

So if a client was to walk into a salon and ask for 'acrylics' the nail tech wouldn't actually be doing anything wrong by then applying gels (as its an acrylic) although the nail tech probably needs to learn better consultation skills :)

i have found this ever increasing in the area where i am, it is becoming quite an issue. Clients beleive they are having gel when in actual fact it is liquid and powder, and even the traditional removal technique is taking a long long time, as this stuff is not shifting. Very alarming to say the least, im hoping tradings standards catches up with these so called professionals! xoxo

There should be a thread on here where you can actually report things about certain salons to trading standards. Trust me in my area half of them would be shut down!!

I'm really lucky that I don't come across this as I was able to close my diary in January as I was so busy so all my ladies nails are done by me so I know what I'm getting at each appointment......I'd hate to put up with this on a regular basis it would be so annoying. :evil:

thanks for your replies ladies, today alone I had 3 ladies recommended to me.

At least I know that what I am advising my clients is truthful and honest.

:-D

Actually gel is acrylic :) although is does seem these ladies have been misinformed in some way or there has been some confusion.

I tend to refer to gels as gels and what most people call acrylic's as liquid and powder. L&P's.

So if a client was to walk into a salon and ask for 'acrylics' the nail tech wouldn't actually be doing anything wrong by then applying gels (as its an acrylic) although the nail tech probably needs to learn better consultation skills :)

Hi Rox,

You are right to come extent- yes a lot of gels do have an acrylic content, but Calgel is 100% free from any acrylic.

Generally, your average customer will understand 'acrylic' nails what we in the industry call liquid and powder. It does seem to be fairly common as of late that L&P technicians are describing their products as gel, or a particularly brand that is well known.

macca smiles:

If we get calls about this at head office, we generally suggest they go back and ask the technician who originally applied their nails to remove them-this is usually the safest option. It might be worth offering them a discount to ensure they come back to have your product applied. In these situations its better to be safe- the health of clients nails should always be of up most importance. The removal your/anyone might have in their salon may not be appropriate for the system they have on their nails when they come in.

I know its frustrating to have to deal with this, but hopefully with more educated customers this will start to be less of a problem! So lets get educating our clients. :) You did the perfect thing to advise them. And I'm sure they won't be going back to the other salon.

Nicola

Why not try something like this?

picture.php

Get pro-active and help yourself and your clients to know the difference.

Latest posts

Back