Calgel & Bio

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Purple Rose

Reaction score
I use Bio at present for NNO, I'm going on the course to learn to sculpt in september so I can start enhancing the nails, however I've had a few clients ask if I use Calgel. ALthough I've managed to convert some of them, there are quite a few that seem to prefer calgel. I was just wondering if anyone offers both, and is it worth me in training in Calgel aswell?

Thanks guys xx

I use Bio (overlays and sculpts - and contrary to some opinions tips) but havent used Calgel.

What is it the clients say they prefer about Calgel? It would be interesting to get an opinion from clients that have used both - I was under the impression that Bio is more of a name the clients will recognize, unless it is a regional thing.

your clients probably dont know any real difference between the two... clients will ask for "brands" becuase they've seen them advertised or told from a different tech that its better. tell your clients why you've chosen the system you've chosen and educate them on the differences and similarities of both products. you should never change your system becuase a client asked you to. if that were the case i'd be using OPI l&p and Light elegance gels only becuase those two systems are the most common and most advertsied were i live;)... btw, i dont use either and my clients and i are perfectly happy:p

Hmmmm.....interesting. This week alone I've had 6 brand new clients walk through the door and ask for Bio Sculpture by name, and yet not one ask for Calgel.

Personally, having used Bio, and tried Calgel, I prefer Bio. I love the natural coloured sculpting gel, whereas Calgel don't have one. I have several clients who keep their nails natural, just with a clear overlay, but with the 'Free Edge' gal, I can sculpt out a new nail, if repair or replacement is needed and it is unnoticable.

We have a Bio users social group here too, with many users and we swap a lot of hints and tips (no pun intended) Many techs have found it a great help in building their skills and confidence. I shall send you and invite if you arent already a member.

Thanks all for your responses. I must admit I thought it was a bit of a waste training in a new gel which is similar to what I do anyway. I love Bio and love the wide amount of colours it does, so I think I'll just continue to use Bio. I think once I've done the sculpting course I'll be happier with offering people repairs and enhancements etc, as I've had a few asking for enhancements which I don't do as of yet.

What did your clients say as to why they wanted Calgel?

What happened was a mobile nail tech round my way did Calgel but she has stopped doing nails to have a baby. I've gained a couple of client's (they are a group of friends) but the others said that they preferred calgel and went to another tech. I did try and ask why but they basically said they are happy with that and are not interested in Bio. It was a shame as I could have done with the new clients at this moment which is why I was a little curious to see if others used both. I also understand that Calgel can be used with tips which was something I was interested in, but as I'm doing the sculpting course soon I wasn't too worried about that.

I found it interesting to ask this as when i've read some people's profiles some people use more than one soft gel.

I think what tends to happen is any problems are more to do with the tech than the product.Maybe they are not experienced enough using the product or maybe they are just slap dash with prep or application.
I have gained people who have used bio but say their nails didn't last with it and that they do with Calgel so they think its a better stronger product. I know from here that this is not the case and im sure this happens vice versa.

Ooh good point. I don't seem to have problems with my clients, and the time I did have a client with lifting her dog had just had puppys so she was continually cleaning and not wear gloves, as soon as they had gone they went back to not lifting. I'm still quite curious to try Calgel just to see the difference.

I have gained people who have used bio but say their nails didn't last with it and that they do with Calgel so they think its a better stronger product. I know from here that this is not the case and im sure this happens vice versa.

I think the thing with this is, Calgel was the stronger product about 5 years ago.....but since Bio brought out S-gel, they're now just the same really. You didn't used to be able to trust Bio over tips...especially on a heavy handed client, but now its not a problem, albeit i just find sculpting quicker!

And I think there (as we well know) a lot of techs out there, for both products, that haven't updated their training at all in those 5 years! hence the old stories tend to circulate.

Purple Rose, I had a client once who was forever comparing me to her old tech. "She didn't do this, she did that.." and so on, always intimating her old tech was God and the rest of us just plain wrong if we didn't do it that way. It used to really irk me....so one day I smiled politely when she tried to book her next appointment and said " Actually, I thought you'd probably prefer to go back to *old tech*, so maybe we should leave it! She shut up quick and said she really wnated to come to me! From that day on she never brought up the comparision again!

It's funny because quite alot of techs around me use calgel but it is only the regulars that know what it is or ask specifically for it (the ones who have been having them for a few years)

Apart from those clients, no one has ever specifically asked me, and i was thinking of changing to Bio because of the wider variety but after alot of consideration i'm going with cnd and re-learning acrylics and sticking with calgel as my gel option for now.

I have to say after much consideration I am not going to try Calgel, I love Bio and am doing the sculpting course with them. I've also done the conversion for Brisa ages ago and have been really practising that to enable to offer enhancements. I'm also going to practice acrylic (qualified in that ages ago but been lazy again) so I can offer that aswell. I figured after all this time with Bio it is just a wonderful product that can transform a nail that I'm going to stick with it.

Thanks everyone for there help.

Latest posts

Back