Calgel & NSI

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladyjane

Reaction score
Hi All

I've not been on here for a while & I'm loving the new look website.

I have just started using calgel in the salon, previously I was using nsi balance gel, which I found was cracking / chipping far to easily when used as an overlay. I hav'nt done the calgel training yet but I'm keen to start using it in the salon. I've noticed on the DVD they provided that calgel don't use primers is that correct? Also do you have any advice on perfecting the application of calgel?

I went to a salon a couple of weeks ago & tried calgel for myself before I committed to buying & noticed the girl who did then also had nsi balance gels on her desk, so I asked her why she had both products & she told me that she prefered nsi for extensions & calgel for overlays as she didnt think calgel extensions where as good is that true??

I'm going off line for a couple of hours & will be back later to check response, I have revision to do, I have my final assment tonight in Hot stone therapy (ITEC) wish me luck.

Thanks for looking & I appreciate any advice .x.x.x.

Vic

Hi All

I have just started using calgel in the salon, previously I was using nsi balance gel, which I found was cracking / chipping far to easily when used as an overlay. I hav'nt done the calgel training yet but I'm keen to start using it in the salon. I've noticed on the DVD they provided that calgel don't use primers is that correct? Also do you have any advice on perfecting the application of calgel?

I went to a salon a couple of weeks ago & tried calgel for myself before I committed to buying & noticed the girl who did then also had nsi balance gels on her desk, so I asked her why she had both products & she told me that she prefered nsi for extensions & calgel for overlays as she didnt think calgel extensions where as good is that true??

I'm going off line for a couple of hours & will be back later to check response, I have revision to do, I have my final assment tonight in Hot stone therapy (ITEC) wish me luck.

Vic

Good luck with your assessment Vic.

I dont use calgel but do use Bio Sculpture which is a similar product.

I agree that they are not right for tips as the strength just isnt there. They are a fab product for overlays though.

I'm not a tip girl myself, but find Calgel sculpted extensions work very well. No probs.

Hi All

Vic

hi ya

Yes your correct in thinking Calgel requires no bonder etc. as it is a ONE PHASE gel.

There is no bonder/builder/top gloss....one gel does all

Calgel adhers to the natural nail brilliantly and will never lift (unless your prep was poor, or you touch the cuticle /side walls)

Best of all the application is VERY easy, apply just like polish...a teeny bit thicker.

I personally do not use calgel over tips as i prefer to sculpt. I have no problems/strength issues at all with Calgel as enhancements, there is good strength and good flexibility....so NO cracking that you may experience with a file off gel.

The only advantage of a file off gel (nsi ) to a soak off gel (calgel/bio) in my opintion is on SOME clients the 'soak off' gels can discolour if they use fake tan/smoke/ use harsh chemicals....where as the FILE off's stay bright and clear and crisp.

I use both - file offs and soak offs i definately have more clients on calgel though than any other system.

hth

amb x

i use Calgel too and love it. I have one client who always wants tips on her nails and I have no problems at all with tips. She is a clumbsy little devil too (I know she won't mind me saying that) and she only occasionally has one come off.

Most of my Calgel clients are on NNOs and absolutely love it. No lifting (as Amber said if prep is done properly).

HTH

Thanks for all your advice I really appreciate it, I prefer to sculpt but had a few problems sculpting with NSI balance gels so lost my confidence & went back to using tips, so maybe I'll have a go sculpting again with calgel.

Vic .x.x.x.

I love Calgel, I have never seen the DVD (I trained at Luton,) does the DVD tell you to sculpt with the Clear Gel ONLY? (as you cannot sculpt with any colour gel.) Just thought I'd mention it just incase before you start. HTH's

I use Calgel and IBD gel. I prefer to use Calgel, its easier to use, its a one phase gel, so no bonder. It comes in lots of different colours and their customer service is excellent.

I use calgel over tips and do not have a problem with strength. It is an excellent money earner for me at this time of year also for overlays on toes, both for french and colours.

If I do have a client that is a smoker, sun bed user, I always advise the Calgel french can discolour, whereas the file off gels do not.

Good luck with your assessment and hope your research pays off. :hug:

I'm not a tip girl myself, but find Calgel sculpted extensions work very well. No probs.
Me to. I love sculpted nails with Calgel, but I do still use Brisa as well.

I love Calgel, I have never seen the DVD (I trained at Luton,) does the DVD tell you to sculpt with the Clear Gel ONLY? (as you cannot sculpt with any colour gel.) Just thought I'd mention it just incase before you start. HTH's

Sorry for the late reply, The DVD does teach you to sculpt with clear if I remeber rightly

Vic.x.x.x.

P.s thanks again for all your advice .x.x.x.

Sorry for the late reply, The DVD does teach you to sculpt with clear if I remeber rightly

Vic.x.x.x.

P.s thanks again for all your advice .x.x.x.
Yes, just to confirm that you can sculpt with the Calgel clear. Then if you want to add French or colour, you can do this over the clear sculpt. I find that I am able to sculpt quite thinly with Calgel. Then I apply French or colour and the end result is not thick and chunky, but natural looking and strong.

Yes, just to confirm that you can sculpt with the Calgel clear. Then if you want to add French or colour, you can do this over the clear sculpt. I find that I am able to sculpt quite thinly with Calgel. Then I apply French or colour and the end result is not thick and chunky, but natural looking and strong.

your right mrs clooney !

i did 2 sets of calgel scupts yesterday and when i'd finished i thought god they look so thin and sleek...i never get probs with them either.

Now a file off....to me that's always a different kettle of fish - had i done them that thin they'd be breaking all over the hockey.

Hmmmm good observation !

your right mrs clooney !

i did 2 sets of calgel scupts yesterday and when i'd finished i thought god they look so thin and sleek...i never get probs with them either.

Now a file off....to me that's always a different kettle of fish - had i done them that thin they'd be breaking all over the hockey.

Hmmmm good observation !
Well I have to admit Amb that I am getting thinner/more natural looking free edges with the Calgel than I did with a buff off gel. Like you say, they would just chip and break! It must be because soak off gels are more flexible so withstand slight knocks more?? I definitely don't think it has anything to do with the fact that I am a little more experienced than I was 18 months ago, but I am definitely loving sculpting with calgel.

Latest posts

Back