Calgel only lasting 2 weeks.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxxlauzxxx

Reaction score
Hello,
Can anyone please help me. I recently did the calgel course at the beginnig of May and although i think im getting better, im still having a couple of problems.

After roughly 12-14 days some of my clients overlays have started to lift at the sides and some at the free edge. A few of them have just said that after the first couple fell off they just pulled the rest off (which i know is really bad for the nails plate) But they seems to peel off quite easily.

Im almost certain that im doing the nail prep ok, and cant think of anything im really doing wrong.

How long should calgel overlays last?

I would recommed clients to be having fortnighly appointments, some people can get longer but it is down to what they do with their nails & the type of nails they have. Make sure you retail cutile oil to all clients, this helps nails stay flexible, mine start to curl away from product if I don't do this. Also I could not even get 10days of calgel on my natural nails but can go 14 days with shellac still perfect :D
Make sure you have had client washed hands after using cuticle remover, & have scrubbed the nail with calguard any oil on the nail, the product wont adhere properly, also are you capping the free edge & sides? xx

Thank you Sarah,
I think i need to improve on the capping off. I either get shrinkage from the gel (because im still a little slow) or i get a hump just before the free edge from putting too much gel at the edge. When ive done overlays on my own nails ive found that after about 4 days the very top of the free edge can peel off, but this still doesnt make my nails lift. When i do it on my nails it can last for 4 weeks.

What is shellac?

I noticed when i went on the training couse that the technician didnt use cutile remover, she just used the metal tool. Should you use cuticle remover? Because i thought it may harmthe cuticles if i didnt use it.

What do your clients nails look like after two weeks?

Thanks again for your help! :)

I used to do all five nails, then quickly go over the capping again before curing if there was any shrinkage :D
Some folks use cutilce remove some dont, I personally always do, & for clients with really bad cuticles its a must! dry prep just wont cut it lol
Some clients were perfect others not so, it can be down to the client eg not wearing gloves when doing dishes cleaning etc I always do my application the same everytime to the book ;) & results can vary, if you are getting 4 weeks I would tend to say either these clients, or clients nails just do not suit calgel.
There is a shed load of info on shellac if you type it in the sear bar or go to the shellac lovers group, it is amazing, no buffing of the natural nail at all, on like polish, cures like gel, thin as polish but as longlasting as gel & 14days (atleast) flawless mirror shine!
I could not keep calgel on my "doing fingers" for ore than a week! shellac 14days no problemo :D hth xx

I never use cuticle remover always dry prep and never have lifting at the bottom or sides ever
.Sometimes there will be lifting from the free edge but i know that this is in my application almost over capping and then the free edge gets too thick.Unless someone has a really bad knock they only ever come back because they need infil or change of colour.
Its really getting to know your product really well.If you look on the website they have a whole page on what causes lifting.Trust me its not the gel its what either you or the client are doing or not doing

I did the Calgel course in April/May and I am having one hell of a problem with the tips. They are falling off within a couple of days. It's extremely embarrassing. I have taken tip applications off of my price list and am currently practising like made on friends and family.

I was having a few problems with the lifting on the overlays, but now I seem to have mastered it. I would suggest while you are still new and slow you cure a nail at a time and get the clients to keep swapping hands.

I had a little lifting on the free edge and that is from putting a little bit too much calgel over the free edge when sealing. Make sure you take it over the free edge but not too thick.

Another problem I have found is that on one of my coloured gels the gel was wiping off on the free edge after curing. I was told by calgel that if I was nearing the bottom of the calgel pot I need to add clear gel to give a better ratio between the pigment & curing product and that worked.

I wouldnt think for a minute its the gel, but i cant help but think that other than there being slight shinkage of the gel (because im not quick enough) or using cuticle remover i think i do everything else right.

Gillian have you never even had lifting at the sides and bottoms when they have come back for their infills?

Do any of you find that some clients are just clumsy with their nails, or even pick at them?

i find that some calgel gels shrink quicker than others... i always use cuticle remover... i recommend that clients see me fortnightly as growth starts to show but never had any problems with the product - except on myself cos i chew it to lift it! lol! bad girl! x

I wouldnt think for a minute its the gel, but i cant help but think that other than there being slight shinkage of the gel (because im not quick enough) or using cuticle remover i think i do everything else right.

Gillian have you never even had lifting at the sides and bottoms when they have come back for their infills?

Do any of you find that some clients are just clumsy with their nails, or even pick at them?

No i honestly dont, not now but i have been doing it now for 4 years.

I do nearly always put a base of clear on unless someones nails are perfect and i work this layer in well i would also work the colour in well the same as i do with hard gel.
This first layer is the MOST important this is what is going to bond the gel onto the nail and this is where all the other layers will travel to when applied.So your first layer must be as far down to the bottom as you can get it and right over your free edges.If you cant do this quickly then do one and then freeze.

I also really rub the calguard into the nail and keep an eye on the client running her hand through her hair, touching her face,answering phone etc this can put oils back on the plate before you have the gel on.

If i have a colour that shrinks(some do,some do a bit some dont at all) i freeze one or two nails at a time (10 secs to hold the gel)and then full cure at the end.

I use an ezflow tool for the dry prep not the calgel one. Ezflow dry preps as well.
Also have a think about your brushes, change sizes for the different clients and make sure they are in good condition an old hard brush is not going to get the gel in the right place.

You have to be careful not to make the gel thick at the sides,bottom and free edge when capping because it must cure all the way through.
Im also quite strict with my clients i really emphasise oil,gloves etc no picking nibbling.

It doesnt suit everyone and some are better on hard gel especially persistant nail biters, they will nibble at Calgel and they can loosen it usually corners. So its always good to have another back up.Generally these people come back with the nails completely off as they cant help themselves.

I see most of my regulars at 3 weeks.First timers after 2.

I agree with Gillian W and echo what she says about the capping and use of Calguard, whilst making sure your client is not absent mindedly running her free hand through her hair or scratching her face.

I also do a dry prep using the Calgel cuticle tool as well as applying a base layer of clear gel.

Calgel does tend to shrink quite quickly and some colours shrink quicker than others. A tip I was given a few years ago when I first trained with Calgel, was to do the initial prep including calguarding and then calgard each nail individually just before applying the first gel layer. Do only one nail at a time, making sure you gently pull the gel over the free edge as you cap it.

You may find with time that you don't need to do this anymore as you begin to work faster and more confidently.

I agree with Gillian W and echo what she says about the capping and use of Calguard, whilst making sure your client is not absent mindedly running her free hand through her hair or scratching her face.

I also do a dry prep using the Calgel cuticle tool as well as applying a base layer of clear gel.

Calgel does tend to shrink quite quickly and some colours shrink quicker than others. A tip I was given a few years ago when I first trained with Calgel, was to do the initial prep including calguarding and then calgard each nail individually just before applying the first gel layer. Do only one nail at a time, making sure you gently pull the gel over the free edge as you cap it.

You may find with time that you don't need to do this anymore as you begin to work faster and more confidently.

Tracey do you use the tool you got in the kit or the one you can buy with the chisel end.
I use my Ezflow one (pro pusher), as found the one in the kit not very effective at all.

Thank you so much for this advise.

I've never heard to put a clear layer on first, it makes sense. How many layers of the colour do you apply after, do you still do two?

And how long does it take for the coloured gel to part cure, so it doesn't move?

I can't wait to have another go using this advice.

Just a couple of things i do....pretty much as has been said..

• dry prep
  • make sure nails are fully dry prior to application of gel
  • clear layer first...do all 5 nails with a lick layer / quick thin layer
  • when applying colour or doing french cure EACH nail individually ( i work with 2 lamps) this = 'no shrinking' problem.
  • *cap* cap* cap* every layer from one side of free edge to the other and remembering the sides of the free edge too.
  • thin thin thin as you can around the cuticle and side walls so no bumpy irritating RIDGE to pick at....angle your brush to do this.
  • Clients should be coming every 2 - 3 1/2 ish week depending on growth and how they are with their hands.
  • dont let them file in between appointments

Latest posts

Back