Calling American geeks....Advice needed please!


Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.


Nerdy Geek!
Aug 3, 2007
Reaction score
Hampshire, UK

I need some advice/information on visa's and what is required by way of a licence to do hair and nails in Texas. I know that the laws vary from state to state, so if there are any Texans out there, your help would be much appreciated! :)

Long story short, I have a friend of a friend who owns a hair salon in Dallas, and there is a possibility of her offering me a hairdressing job next year for a year. I understand that it is easier to get a visa with a job offer, but what I was wondering is, do I still need a licence?
I am fully qualified to do both hair and nails, and have been doing them for 13 and 8 years respectively, and as her salon does not offer nails at the moment, there is a possibility that I may add this service to her salon, in which case, do I need a licence for that also? Will I have to take any exams or do any trade tests?
This lady has never employed anyone outside of the US before so she said she hasn't a clue!

Any advice would be appreciated.....thanks in advance! :green:
Last edited:
Hi, here is the basic info for Texas requirements. HTH!

Cosmetology: 1500 Hours
Nail Technician: 600 Hours
Esthetics: 750 Hours as of Sept. 2004
Formal education: seventh grade or equivalent. Must be at least 17 years old.
Reciprocity: granted to applicants with licenses from another State whose requirements are the same as or greater than Texas'.
Home Salon allowed

MMA has been prohibited in one manner or another in this state.
Prohibited can mean:
A law or rule has been passed prohibiting MMA use.
The technician and/or shop will receive a written/verbal warning possibly after a consumer complaint or inspection by state officials.
A fine may be accessed if a violation occurs.
The state abides by the FDA guidelines.
Please see the state's web site for more specific information and/or contact them or us directly.

Report Violations Online

Exam info

Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation
P.O. Box 26700
Austin, TX 78755-0700
1-800-943-8922 or 512-380-7600
512- 454-0339 Main FAX
Thank you so much, I'm very grateful! :green:
You are very welcome. Best of luck! :)
Hi Michelle :hug:
It is possible, but it is expensive! You need to contact these people.

They are a company that has been approved by US Licensing agencies to validate credentials earned in other countries.

To be a hairstylist in the US, you need to be a licensed Cosmetologist in the State of Texas. Since TX requires 1500 hours, you will have to show that your training was at least for this amount of hours. They are also going to verify that the curriculum matches the material required here for the course to be approved. Once you have been determined "eligible to test" you will have to pass a theory (computer exam) and a practical (demonstrating your skills). The state examinations will cost around $100, and verifying your credentials is somewhere around $125. And you will have to verify your basic schooling (what we call high school in the US) to prove a 7th grade education, for another $125.

I attempted this for an employee from Moldova, and we weren't successful, so I just registered her as an apprentice and started all over. But maybe the UK would be more cooperative. The problem for us, was that the documents had to come straight from her country of origin. And we couldn't get anyone to help with that.

Good luck! If I can answer any more questions, just let me know. I'm well versed in the licensing procedures here :rolleyes:
Thanks for the info Jesse, I will check out the link asap! :green:
As far as I am aware it is extremely difficult to transfer your beauty or hair qualifications to the states.

Even drs have to redo their 4 years residency when they enter the US as their MD degree from Europe is not sufficient.

There are only certain jobs that the immigration will allow an offer to be made to a forgeiner for, and it has gotten tighter since the unemployment numbers in the US have gone up. They are very very stingy with visas. You would also need to show sufficient funds that you can set yourself up living wise there.

I have been in the states off and on for the past 4 years and have yet to find a way around their visa requirements.

Best bet is to see a GOOD immigration lawyer who deals with the states on a regular basis. They will be able to tell you if its possible quite quickly.
Last edited:
Ok, thanks for your advice Skymark......I will look into it very thoroughly.

Latest posts