Can a shy person work for Steiner?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lillamy

Reaction score
Hi geeks! so - I know theres lots of threads on steiner which I have read but has anyone really shy gone and worked on the ships? Basically - I am in my early 30ies, very young at heart and funloving and I have lots of friends.
I have moved to two countries on my own (where I knew no one) and started from scratch and this would make you think that I am quite outgoing and confident... HOWEVER - I have since small been very sensitive and shy and my main thing is public speaking, I get a panic attack from that. However I have a very calm, nurturing and caring personality and get a lot of regular clients as a beauty therapist. SO the thing is that I would like to perhaps go on Steiner but I am terrified of the public speaking they want you to do and I was wondering if there is anyone out there with similar personality traints/fears that has gone on the cruise ships? Perhaps I should just forget it! I am not overly sales'ey either........ :( I am very positive and optimistic though! any advise welcome? x

Hi I have had a lot of experience with stiener and there is a bit of an issue ... Public speaking is the main key for being a successfully therapist on board . When guests arrive you will be expected to public ally speak and guide clients around the spa to sell up business and get bookings !

I think if u can give good public speaking demo in interview and training u can mellow down abit when u get on board

You just have to appear very confident as you are dealing with very high price treatments so u need to know your stuff and be vocally confident because if your not they can easily replace you at the next port

Hope this helps x

and stiener is commision only so you are paid on treatment and retail
sales so no basic wage to fall back on

well........... thanks ladies this is what I thought so I think I am probably not the right type of person....... I can be very confident in interviews and confident in myself, its just the public speaking I am really really not confident in at all................... Im a shy person inside and when Im confident its cos Im acting confident if that makes sense. Thanks for the feedback anyways!

Just a quick note ... I'm a guy :)

There's an art of looking confident and if you can do it your in for a good change I'd sure give it a try besides remember ur up against the world I'm sure there's more shy people than you think when ur onboard it really helps you to embrace speaking and come out of your shell it's a life changer

Don't count yourself out

Hi I have had a lot of experience with stiener and there is a bit of an issue ... Public speaking is the main key for being a successfully therapist on board . When guests arrive you will be expected to public ally speak and guide clients around the spa to sell up business and get bookings !

I think if u can give good public speaking demo in interview and training u can mellow down abit when u get on board

You just have to appear very confident as you are dealing with very high price treatments so u need to know your stuff and be vocally confident because if your not they can easily replace you at the next port

Hope this helps x

By public speaking do you mean the entire or groups of guests at a time or as and when a client or a client and their friend turns up?

To the op, if you are confident with speaking to new clients now, if its not a group you probably will be ok, you can always look at your local college/university for advice on short public speaking courses.

A few years back I had to explain a demo to a group while on stage, pooping myself beforehand. I was told there was only 50 people there so I felt a bit better (I knew the room held 500), after the demo and going off stage the coordinator asked if I had done it before to that many people, it turned out there was 300, but because I had it in my head there was only a handful I believed it and seen it. Try seeing all the people there as people you would feel comfortable speaking to such as your family and friends, really believe it and you can make it true in your head. Xoxo

By public speaking do you mean the entire or groups of guests at a time or as and when a client or a client and their friend turns up?

To the op, if you are confident with speaking to new clients now, if its not a group you probably will be ok, you can always look at your local college/university for advice on short public speaking courses.

A few years back I had to explain a demo to a group while on stage, pooping myself beforehand. I was told there was only 50 people there so I felt a bit better (I knew the room held 500), after the demo and going off stage the coordinator asked if I had done it before to that many people, it turned out there was 300, but because I had it in my head there was only a handful I believed it and seen it. Try seeing all the people there as people you would feel comfortable speaking to such as your family and friends, really believe it and you can make it true in your head. Xoxo

I definitely mean a group of people and being on the spot.......... I know the mind can be very powerful as you say, it is unfortunately very powerful when it comes to fears as well. In a way I feel like I should overcome this fear holding me back so much! perhaps speak to my gp or do some sort of workshop for people with a public speaking phobia, it really is a massive phobia for me! The thought of doing what u did makes me feel sick but then also the thought of overcoming my fear makes me feel free :) Thanks for the advise I will keep it in mind definitely x

I definitely mean a group of people and being on the spot.......... I know the mind can be very powerful as you say, it is unfortunately very powerful when it comes to fears as well. In a way I feel like I should overcome this fear holding me back so much! perhaps speak to my gp or do some sort of workshop for people with a public speaking phobia, it really is a massive phobia for me! The thought of doing what u did makes me feel sick but then also the thought of overcoming my fear makes me feel free :) Thanks for the advise I will keep it in mind definitely x

forgot to say that yes Im ok with speaking to current clients though.. just not like on a stage/dong a presentation type of thing if that makes sense x

forgot to say that yes Im ok with speaking to current clients though.. just not like on a stage/dong a presentation type of thing if that makes sense x

It does, I was scared of large groups but around 50 felt scary but possible, I completely overcome the fear after and have since spoken I front of 1000 people without any nerves before ad completely confident knowing I can do it (although I still tell myself it's not many people).
Yes contact your gp, maybe something for nervousness may help, also contact your local jobcentre, they have info on a lot of courses that may be free, also your town library may have a person there from business link, they can advise you too, often with free courses as long as it betters your business.

Best of luck, and keep that feeling of freedom and confidence you will get once its over with, use that and the chance to work on a ship as your inspiration and driving force xoxo

It does, I was scared of large groups but around 50 felt scary but possible, I completely overcome the fear after and have since spoken I front of 1000 people without any nerves before ad completely confident knowing I can do it (although I still tell myself it's not many people).
Yes contact your gp, maybe something for nervousness may help, also contact your local jobcentre, they have info on a lot of courses that may be free, also your town library may have a person there from business link, they can advise you too, often with free courses as long as it betters your business.

Best of luck, and keep that feeling of freedom and confidence you will get once its over with, use that and the chance to work on a ship as your inspiration and driving force xoxo

Thank you for your advice! your story is very inspirational! :) I will definitely try out some of the things you suggested, cos if I could overcome this then there would be nothing holding me back. This is the only major fear I have and its like this dark cloud holding me back in life. And I hate restrictions! Im actually going to speak to my gp today so Ill see what she says. Some CBT could help too I think... cant afford it though at the mo.. ;lets see! X

I'm petrified of public speaking, I also am so shy I can't speak on the phone! I'm completely not confident, but I want to experience the cruise ships once I'm finished level 3, I'm determined not to let my silly fears ruin my dreams!! Xxx

Thank you for your advice! your story is very inspirational! :) I will definitely try out some of the things you suggested, cos if I could overcome this then there would be nothing holding me back. This is the only major fear I have and its like this dark cloud holding me back in life. And I hate restrictions! Im actually going to speak to my gp today so Ill see what she says. Some CBT could help too I think... cant afford it though at the mo.. ;lets see! X

Cbt?

To geeklin, go on these courses and see a doctor, it can be overcome. I'd love to go on a ship, but sadly can't. I get sea sick on pedal boats in calm ponds, sicked up on a boat that was on a track where it couldn't rock or anything xoxo

I'm petrified of public speaking, I also am so shy I can't speak on the phone! I'm completely not confident, but I want to experience the cruise ships once I'm finished level 3, I'm determined not to let my silly fears ruin my dreams!! Xxx

oh bless you! let me know how u get on? thats very brave of you and Im sure u will win this fear over! :) X

Cbt?

To geeklin, go on these courses and see a doctor, it can be overcome. I'd love to go on a ship, but sadly can't. I get sea sick on pedal boats in calm ponds, sicked up on a boat that was on a track where it couldn't rock or anything xoxo

CBT- Cognitive behavioral therapy! Oh no being sea sick must be awful!!! Maybe it is something that can be cured?? xxxx

CBT- Cognitive behavioral therapy! Oh no being sea sick must be awful!!! Maybe it is something that can be cured?? xxxx

It can be helped with tablets but they work against my painkillers so would be a bit of take one or the other system xoxo

It can be helped with tablets but they work against my painkillers so would be a bit of take one or the other system xoxo

Oh no thats a bummer:( X

You could try hypnotherapy to overcome your fear of public speaking? One of my friends was terrified of public speaking to the point she would make her self violently ill with nerves, she saw a Hypnotherapist an now presents to very large audiences without hesitation!
Just s thought :) xxxx

You could try hypnotherapy to overcome your fear of public speaking? One of my friends was terrified of public speaking to the point she would make her self violently ill with nerves, she saw a Hypnotherapist an now presents to very large audiences without hesitation!
Just s thought :) xxxx

I wouldf love for that to happen to me! I have been hypnotized once tough and without any benefits, but Im not giving up , it may have been down to the hypnotiser. I was hypnotised for a completely different issue though!

I worked for steiner about 4 years ago, and as everyone else has said its alot of public speaking. My first day i had to do a seminar on ionithermie, and tbh i cant remember any of it but people looked confused so i must have done something right lol x

I worked for steiner about 4 years ago, and as everyone else has said its alot of public speaking. My first day i had to do a seminar on ionithermie, and tbh i cant remember any of it but people looked confused so i must have done something right lol x

what is ionithermie?

Latest posts

Back