Can someone please help - late client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlytaylor1986

Reaction score
As you all may be aware I have a client that is constantly late. I've turned her away before as she's been late, I've not put up with it, and I thought if she's late the next time I do her, I am not going to have her anymore. So the last time I cut her hair, I booked her in later as I thought perhaps she didn't have enough time to get to me, but again, turns up late. I keep getting messages asking me to do her, but I just don't want to.

I am not sure what to do now. She text me a few days ago asking me to fit her in before a huge night out, which I never replied to, and she's text me again yesterday asking me to fit her in with her friend next week. It's getting to the point where it's really getting to me and I literally cannot continue with her. What do I do? Do I tell her I am giving up, but then I will also lose her friend who is a loyal customer, who comes to me much more regularly than the person in question and who I very much enjoy doing. I don't want to be rude to her by saying that she's late and I can't work with her (because I know she'll beg me for appointments or just turn up). Any advice would be much appreciated. Also, for the admin on here, I have changed the story every so slightly so it doesn't get removed :) xxxx

Have u told her how it affects your day when she's late? Tbh many customers are completey unaware of how our timings and appointment systems work, I'd start off with explaining that if she's more than 10 mins late you won't be able to do the service & you have booked the slot out for x amount of time so if she dosent make it you've lost x amount of revenue, then if she does turn up late again DO NOT squeeze her in! She will not take you seriously in future if u do

I have explained that to her and she still messages me saying "just doing the ironing, will be with you just after 6" or whenever her appointment is, then turns up 30 mins late, I say "how late are you going to be as I have allocated you xx amount of time, and have a client after so may not be able to carry out your appointment" - i have turned her away a few times now, and made it very clear she cannot keep being late. I just looked through my messages and every appointment I have messaged saying "Hi XX, are you still coming". I am going to message her now and say unfortunately due to you being late to the majority of your appointments, I will no longer be able carry out any treatments for you. I have had to make last minute changes to others' appointments which is unfair on my clients" she can think what she wants because she clearly does not care when she is late, so why should I care about dropping a client that is making me constatly panic and worry whether she's going to be on time (well I do care a bit, but I can't have it anymore). When her and her friend come together she makes her late too!

I think you gotta get some balls! Don't hesitate to let her know. You just need some tack on how you deliver it. My personality doesnt come across on this forum, but i would playful joke when she books will you be in time or shall i book it in the next day! lol xoxo

Is she ever any later than 30mins? Could you tell her that her appointment is 3.30 and actually have it in your app book for 4? And IF she's ever early just say you're running a few minutes behind. I know it is such a pain and I agree with an above poster saying that clients just do not understand how tight for time your day can be, but if she takes it badly she could start giving out about you to others and she will make it that she's not as fault or she'll say "I was only late once and she refused to do it!" .

I've sent the message now, it's been read and delivered, I haven't been happy with her as a client for a while now and feel like a weight has been lifted off me a bit. I wonder whether her friend will still come to me, but if the answer to that is no, then so be it. Thanks for your replies :) x

I think what you have suggested is fine.
"I'm afraid I'm no longer able to book you in for appointments as your lateness affects my day. I'm really sorry" but DON'T NEGOTIATE. She is constantly late because you allow it. Texting her asking if she's on her way. She's a grown up.

Don't give clients info on your timings. They will think "she's still got plenty of time so what's the problem".
I would turn her away every time she's more than 15 minutes late. To ask her how late she's going to be just facilitates her lateness.

Do you work from home?

Vic x

Thank you for your message. Yes I work from home, I've sent it now. Think I am actually going to give up as it's made me realise I don't need this stress with everything else. Thank you xx

Well done. The reason I ask is that when you work from home clients assume you have f all else to do!

When I worked from home I had a continually late client so after 15 minutes I legged it out of the house and went shopping. I felt like a naughty kid. 5 minutes later she texted to ask where I was. I told her I assumed she wasn't coming so had gone out. She asked what about her appointment so I told her she would've been too late for it anyway.

After 15 minutes I consider them a no show.

Good for you for gaining a bit of control back x

Ask her to pay upfront! And if she is late then you will have to keep the money. It's your business at the end of the day and need to do what's best for you. Chances are she will come on time

I think some people are a bit dim and they sort of expect you to fit them in like they are a hobby as they breeze through the day. They seem to lack any understanding of how business works! Working from home ( i do as well ) seems to make some people think punctuality doesn't matter!

I think you've done the right thing as it's not just one or two times she's done this.

I used to have a client who would say how wonderful I was, how good it was for me to see him quickly how much better he felt after treatment..then he would ring in the afternoon...wanting to move his appt to another day. Forget appts...then I finally gave up when I had booked him in on a late appt on my day off ( as he was traveling the next day, having already moved that appt at short notice from the day before )..what did he do? Rang me to say he would be 30 mins late as he had given a bloke from work a lift home!!!!!

...My answer was NO ...and have a nice trip! :)

I've been working for 18yrs and this sort of behaviour always stresses me out, but as my hubby said...would he do that for a Dr's appt?

I would also consider charging her the full price, but end the service at the scheduled time. Clients aren't paying you for the service, they are buying your time. If they choose to spend the first half of that time somewhere else, that is their dime and they have that option. However their apathy towards your schedule should not impact the next customer that has requested to by that time too.

I wouldn't be surprised if she was just as bad with her friends, letting them down and being late.

If that's the case, her friend won't stop coming to you but will probably secretly 'high five' you instead. :)

Hehehe. Well I've just seen she's put on her fb status "was sacked by my *hairdresser* last night, can anyone recommend a good one in my area", and was having a right laugh with her friends about it. She knows I am going to see it, for someone her age it's about time she grew up. Good riddance I say :) xxxx

I had a client like this she was a nightmare- it got to the point where I would book her in half an hour after I told her but she'd still somehow be late or not turn up at all. I then told her she had to pay in full for all of her appts in advance and of she was late I would charge her an extra £7.50 per 15mins she took if I could still fit her in. She agreed to this and funnily enough hasn't been late since! She also sometimes now just pops in on the off chance which is much better for me but I understand not possible if u work from home x

Latest posts

Back