Can there be to many Beauty Salons in One Area

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GracefulH&B

Reaction score
Hiya

I am a Foot Health Practitioner and Holistic Therapist. I would LOVE to set up a Health & Beauty salon towards the end of next year (when my youngest goes to school so that I can put the hours in). I am going to go to college to do my NVQ 2 Beauty Therapy in September, practice like mad and then come October I will have about 40 treatments that I can offer in my salon. I have been provisionally looking for a suitable premises so I have an idea of rent and rates so I will have an idea of how much it will cost me. My local town has a population of 6500 (according to wikipedia, lol) and there are 3 beauty salons in the town. In all your experiences, will 4 beauty salons be too much? I will be offering things that the others don't (chiropody and holistic therapies), but I'm not sure whether there is enough business to go around in these touch economic times. How many beauty salons are there in your areas and are you all busy?
Any advice and thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Mandy

Mourne Foot Care - Mourne Foot Care & Holistic Therapies - Welcome

According to Wikki my town has a population of 30,000. Off the top of my head I can think of 4 beauty salons in the town centre, and then within 1 mile of town is at least a further 6 salons that I can think of. There is also then a lot of mobile therapists - I dont know of any home salons but there may well be some of those too.

I think that if your going to be offering treatments that others dont you will have a better chance but you should carefully research if those treatments would be wanted (no point offering a service that there is no call for iykwim) and if so how much demand is there?

I dont know the actual stats but there are a load of salons in my area. There is my main town and that has atleast 5 nail salons alone, and i can think of 7 hair salons and a trainning academy there also. One road (and i mean road) has 4 nail salons in it which is a 10min drive away from town. There are so many and none of them are ever packed.. Alot shut as theres just too much competition

what an interesting question! i do agree though, you are so right... they are everywhere. i'm looking forward to some salon owners replying to see what they think! :D

x

Latest posts

Back