Can we put enhancements on nails with psoriosis or eczema?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

franjess

Reaction score
I had someone come in and ask if I can do nails with psoriasis (or was it eczema). In any case, she already has L&P on and was going to take them off because they don't do so well with the L&P. She said her doctor said she could wear something over them and wants to know which system would work Fiberglass, Gels, L&P ect. Is it safe for me to do it? Will it contaminate my products? Can I try L&P with CND Products and proper prep, because maybe they didn't work with who ever did them last because of poor products & prep ect. :confused:

Yes, for psoriasis, not sure about eczema. Someone far more knowledgeable than I will be along shortly to clarify!

Hiya,

I suffer with psoriasis (at one time being 85% covered in it:cry::cry:), and I have worn all the different systems and had no problem at all.

I do have pitting on a couple of my nails, but as a Nail Tech. I take the chance on myself as if there was a problem ( which I have never had) I have the means to remove them straight away.

It is not catching and is only a speeding up of the renewal of skin cells. Most of the time it's very unsightly. I was once told by a London Skin Hospital that it is the most common of all skin complaints.

However, a bad sufferer can have it on their fingers and around their cuticles, which can crack and bleed. In a bad case like this I think I would avoid doing any type of enhancement, as nail plate cleansers or any product that is alcohol based, may sting, and also if there was a reaction, then removing them with an acetone based product would be painful as well.

I think to be honest, you have to have a look at the client and make an assessment youself and only do them if you feel comfortable with the situation. If you do decide to go ahead, be sure to use a new file and dispose of it afterwards for your own peace of mind.

Alternately, you could advise her to use Creative Solar Manicure, it has worked wonders for me over the past couple of years. In fact I use it all over now in the shower.:lol::lol:

I really hope this help you.

Sally X

I don´t see why a person suffering from skin conditions (that aren´t infectious) could not wear nail enhancements.

Eczema is often caused by auto-immune diseases, such as atopic skin, psoriasis or allergies. Another common type of eczema is caused by continuous contact with irritants that cause a condition called contact dermatitis. These can be anything from latex and nickel to heavy usage of irritating products without gloves, ie bleach, anti-bacterial hand washes and so on.

I am a pharmacist myself and therefore have some knowledge of skin conditions (which by no means can be compared to the knowledge of a dermatologist ;)). And to my knowledge, many people suffering from various skin conditions can wear enhancements simply due to the fact that they are skin conditions that affect nails very little or not at all. It is however important to know this prior to the service, so the nail technician can inform the client about the possible problems that may occur, and also assess the situation and conditions of the skin surrounding the nails. This is important also, because skin conditions and medication used to treat them may affect the longevity of enhancements. But this in my experience is something one can only see in time.

I have a couple of clients suffering from different types of dermatitis (or eczema) and both of them can wear their enhancements beautifully, they don´t even experience lifting, which some "healthy clients" may do.
Actually the only problmen I have encountered with these clients is that due to the skin being extremely dry and/or irritated, the thorough cleansing of hands and nails, and especially the use of a UV-lamp tends to dry their hands. But of course this is only temporary and I always make sure I tell them both to use their SolarOil religiously and end my service with a nice, rich and nourishing cream for their hands. :)

Thanks for your replies. I read that people with Psoriasis get prescriptions from Doctor for light theapy. So I would think Gels and using the UV light would help them. But I also know that irritation of the skin, like wearing a hat and it rubbing against the forehead can cause psoriasis to flare up in that area so I would think you would have to be very gently while working on nails with psoriasis.

I don't see how it will contaminate your products as neither of them are contagious :S

There something you inherit.

my grandma has psoriasis my auntie my mum and me.. all in the same place nothing major, we use selsun shampoo from the chemist this is the only thing ever worked for me!!

Thanks for your replies. I read that people with Psoriasis get prescriptions from Doctor for light theapy. So I would think Gels and using the UV light would help them. But I also know that irritation of the skin, like wearing a hat and it rubbing against the forehead can cause psoriasis to flare up in that area so I would think you would have to be very gently while working on nails with psoriasis.

Having had years of UV treatment in the past, I can say that the treatment that is prescibed by the Medical Profession is so intense that I was only ever allowed to go into the light machine for seconds only for each treatment. So IMO it wouldn't do a client any harm using a Gel Lamp, in fact they may well find it soothing.

I would always be gentle with the client. Check their hands thoroughly (as I am sure you do) for signs on the fingers, round the cuticle, on the nailbed,the palms of their hands and wrists, as the skin under and flaking or scaleing is baby soft as it is new and thinner skin and needs to be handled gently.

I hope this helps

Sally X

Latest posts

Back