Can you get matte gel polish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

'chelle

Reaction score
Hi, I have a friend that wants the nails below. I could do them in ordinary polish but would prefer to do them in gel polish, does anyone know if you can get matte gel polish or is there a way to make it matte?

Attachments

• Black nails.jpg
    Black nails.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 96,350
Gently buff the surface with a buffing block after curing the top coat to make it matte and then apply a layer of top coat on the edge only and cure

Bingo. Hope this helps x

Thanks I'll give that a go

Fingernail Fixer has a matte Shellac Art tutorial on YouTube - can't see why principle wouldn't be the same

If you don't want to do the filling then why not finish your gel and then put on a matte top coat e.g. essie Matte About You

I did these on myself using exactly the method Karen described above with Gelish. Complete your Gel Polish including topcoat, buff the surface and then use another coat of top coat for the design.

Attachments

• CIMG5735.jpg
    CIMG5735.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 17,278
Those are amazing Lucy!x

Sent from my GT-I9100P using SalonGeek

I recommend a very fine grit file, I use the 1200 side of a koala buffer.

E x

I did these on myself using exactly the method Karen described above with Gelish. Complete your Gel Polish including topcoat, buff the surface and then use another coat of top coat for the design.

ooh they're lovely!! I'm going to have a play today and see what I can come up with

Fingernail Fixer has a matte Shellac Art tutorial on YouTube - can't see why principle wouldn't be the same

If you don't want to do the filling then why not finish your gel and then put on a matte top coat e.g. essie Matte About You

Excuse me if I'm being a bit thick but is it ok to then put the essie in the lamp when you cure the shiny shellac top coat tip??

Stupid phone! Sends before I'm ready. I'm still really new to it and learning what I can and can't do with shellac. I love it though. It's addictive! x

Excuse me if I'm being a bit thick but is it ok to then put the essie in the lamp when you cure the shiny shellac top coat tip??

No don't do that! :irked:
This is just for a temporary look. You can then remove the top coat with acetone free varnish remover leaving perfect shellac / gel behind.

The only way to get the matte to last for whole time of manicure is to do the buffing.

Hi everyone tried to do this but it's not really distinguishable until you get a close up look what am i doing wrong please. I'm applying foundation then curing,2 coats of black shadow curing after each, apply tio and cure then buf over then apply tio to tip and cure ? Help wanted to get this to look like Lucy's x

Hi everyone tried to do this but it's not really distinguishable until you get a close up look what am i doing wrong please. I'm applying foundation then curing,2 coats of black shadow curing after each, apply tio and cure then buf over then apply tio to tip and cure ? Help wanted to get this to look like Lucy's x

Apply 2 coats of TIO hun and buff the 2nd one... This way you will still get the protection from the TIO, because I you only do
One layer you'll be buffing it straight off and going down to the colour layer possibly!
So:
Foundation - cure
2 x colour - cure after each
2 x TIO - cure after each
Remove sticky
Buff to a Matt finish
Apply TIO to tip
Remove sticky
Cuticle oil
:)

Mani-q (like shellac) do matte colours

I too wanted to do this and finally managed it the other day after buying a 1200 file. I'd tried using a white block but it scratched. I used Gelish All About Me.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1352150695.754298.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1352150695.754298.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 2,844
To achieve a perfect matte look over Shellac I just use Lancome Matte top coat once the application of Shellac is done (dries in 2 min) or for a more satin look CND matte top coat.

Thanks GLamoureyes11 i'll give it another go now i'll report back once done xx

hoping this works IMG_2164[1].jpg what do we think ?
Please excuse the bad painting x

Are you buffing the shiny top coat as they still look very shiny? Although it may be the light as matt black nails are very difficult to take a picture of x

Hi Jigglyb4ll yes i'm buffing but with my entity buffer which is 220/280 do i need a different grit ? i too feel its still abit shiny i want mine to look like those pictured :(

Latest posts

Back