Cancellation policy - advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejboyle

Reaction score
Advise about Cancellation policy

What do you have in place? Why?

How do you put it in place i.e. get money off people for cancelling last min?

Thanks

Emily xx

Yes, we have one and it's on our website. For us, it is more like stating a claim to help people see that they cannot just cancel last minute. We also take a booking fee for some appointments.
This said when a regular customer has to change and it's not a regular thing we don't charge it. In fact, we have never charged it!! We have lots of processes in place to catch the cancellation early and fill the appointment. We do have customers offering to pay it if they feel sorry for mucking us about and if the customer was a habitual canceller I would!!

I think cancellation policies are a good idea to help ward off nuisance customers. By this I mean people that don't turn up or cancel at the last minute and do it habitually. You could ask for deposits on large appointments at the time of booking or over the phone and explain to customers why you are having to enforce this policy. I think you will find most will be compliant - as they are not the people who cause the issues.

Like KKSOS stated, hopefully you never have to actually charge the fee, it is more of a deterrent to put off the type of customers who don't value your time. Putting in place systems to avoid this happening in the first place like appointment reminders could help too.

They charge at dentists for missed appointments and it usually makes people think twice about cancelling last minute or not showing.

I have recently put into practice a non refundable booking fee. I have written unfortunately due to large amounts of cancellations and appointments not kept I have introduced the following points with immediate effect and I have listed a number of points like to secure you booking I will be taking a £10 non refundable booking fee, 24 hr cancellation policy in place, you can move your appointment once but any more will be down as a cancellation and something like have you understood everything you have read and please ask if you have any questions. I have also put bank details down asked them to put their own name as reference should they wish to pay this way to secure their booking. It’s going really well so far

I think that cancellation policies are great. Too often out profession is not taken seriously. Doctors offices have cancellation policies, so does my lawyer. Policies are a way to show you are serious about your business & that you are a professional who should be respected. I have a cancellation/no show policy & this is how I tell my clients:

“As a courtesy, please contact me as soon as you know you are going to miss your scheduled appointment & I will be happy to reschedule it for you.
Please don’t be afraid to contact me outside of business hours via text, e-mail, or FB messenger; do not wait for the salon to open.
If you miss an appointment (without 24 hour notice) you will be required to pay 50% of your next service before it is scheduled.
I value your business & ask that you respect my business scheduling policies.

I also have a “convince fee” for clients who need to book outside my regular working hours. These are the appointments that I would get stood up the most. I charge an additional 15% up front.

Latest posts

Back