Can't get colour to hold

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liana kay

Reaction score
this is for me! find it hard to be objective!
my hair texture is thck and wavy , naturally dry . i hardly brush it , never dry it and use a conditioning treatment once a week .
I recently went from a 12/0 ( with 30 vol) never overlaped on natural hair , to slightly darker warmer colour . Its been 3 weeks and ive had 3 semis on it already , the roots seem to be holding the depth and tone on where the regrowth is , but the midlengths and ends are fading after 2 washes to a green /gold (8) i keep adding warmth as gently as i can but it doesnt want to stick
Has anyone got any wonder products that may even out the porosity or glue my cuticle down?

Hiya,

Have you tried a porosity balancer through the mid-lengths and ends? Spray it on dry hair, dry it in. I would then stick a pre-pig of copper in as it seems your hair is not wanting the 'gentle warmth' approach.

Also, if you are trying to cover a hi-lift anything 8 upwards won't have the longevity. After your pre-pig try a gold, base 7, quasi with 3%. If you can get hold of any Schwartkopf, I would recommend the Essensity range as they stick like glue! In this range I would use the 2.5%

Schwartzkopf also do a pre-colour lotion and after colour lotion to 'lock' in the colour. You could give that a go instead of a porosity balancer.

Hope this is helpful :)

If you can get your hands on Magna conditioner pure and shine. It is for those bright reds to hold. I use this on all my darker colors and leave it on for and hour. I have clients that go home in it. It works great for holding in the color. I have clients that will not color their hair if I do not have it.

first time i took it to a gold 8 , in case it went too dark , then i pre pigged red and took it to a 6 with a semi , since then ive done a colour bath in 1/2 5/4 1/2 6 (because the roots were quite bright) then when the roots looked good the ends had
gone green after a few washes , so i put 1/2 6/74 1/2 8/74 again in a colour bath which matched up perfectlty , but now the ends have gone dull again really dont want to put permanant on , because my hair has been known to suck up tint and go too dark and i want to get the top hi-lighted in may for a wedding !
I will look up the products you have suggested thanks
actually i probably will have to take my own advice and just use tempory colour or moose until it sorts itself out - i have a fractured hair shaft and thats probably the problem ( my hair splits and creates an eye without breaking)

Last edited:
with the magma sealer, do you use it after the colour to seal , its not a regular conditioner or treatment is it?

Its a conditioner for after colors it says to leave on 5 to 15 minutes. If they want to leave it on and go home they usually leave it for an hour. They tell me with their firt wash nothing or min washes out on first shampoo. Its not and everyday thing. Gives lots of shine and seals up the clor real good.

im going to try it for sure.thanks

from reading what you have put on, it is probably because you have not put a base in your mix (colour bath). If your hair has been lighter you need to put a base in for it to stick or you will be left with a greeny or brassy tone. :)

i did use base the second and third time , but it didnt hold much better.
Ive done a test strand in 6/75 and its been looking good 4 a few washes - looking at the colour star red purple is opposite yellow green so maybe thats why its better
thanks anyway

I'm glad it's stuck now! :)

Latest posts

Back