Cant get the hang of sculpting forms

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MINKUS

Gel Junkie
Reaction score
Hi all

I am trying to fit horseshoe sculpting forms ....tried and tried and tried but not at all happy with the end 'fit'.

Is there an easy way to describe how to do it....or is there an easier form i saw some rectangular ones that look like you put the whole finger through then bend/shape...(not very technical was that?)

I'm tearing my hair out!
icon_evil.gif

Thanks

When sculpting, the most important thing is that you create a beautiful C curve and this is nigh on impossible to do with a horse shoe form.

You should try the oblong forms or the Performance forms by Creative. Other companies do forms as well, all of which should be better than the horseshoe form which in my opinion encourages flat, wide fan-shaped nails.

In my opinion, fitting a form correctly requires a demonstration and then a bit of practice. Once you 'get it' you wonder how you ever didn't get it! But here goes.

Peel off the form and take out the middle piece and stick it on your hand.

Holding the form on the end, with just your index fingers (on the underside) and your thumbs (on the top), press down with your thumbs and pooch up the form between them and sort of press down with each thumb in turn rocking and rolling the form into a C curve... this loosens up the form a bit.

Your client has to help by holding her finger parallel to and near to the desk top. Now slip the finger into the form through the hole and push the edge of the form up and under the free edge of the nail. Still holding the form in the same way, press your thumbs down to pooch up the c curve under the nail. When the fit looks good, slide your thumbs up the sides of the finger sticking it to the finger all the way along. Gently pull your index fingers away from the underside of the form at the same time. Now, Pinch any excess form (that is not sticking) on the top of the finger together to hold the form nice and firm.

Some like to take the middle piece (the bit you saved on your hand) and put it under the form to hold each side and the c curve in place.
Some like to take the middle piece (the bit you saved on your hand) and put it under the form just in front of the free edge to give a firmer base to work on. If you do this, you need to do it before fitting the form.

I don't know if this has helped but I hope it has.

I've printed that off and will have a good go over the weekend!

Many thanks for that!

Ambx

I never really got to grips with sculpting, I tried and tried all by myself to get it right but no luck! I was rubbish, couldn't fit the form either.

So, I booked myself on a course with Antony Buckley (EZ Flow International Master Artist Educator) and the first thing I learned was how to fit a form and what I had been doing wrong in the first place.

So, first things first, I can now fit a form correctly.

I am getting more confident with sculpting, with practice, practice, practice but I really do believe that you need to go on a course to learn how to do it properly and well.

Antony is a great teacher and I would reccomend him, whatever it is you want to learn.

Hands on training with an expert is the way to go if you want to get it right!

It will save you time and money in the long run.

By the way, I use EZ Flow forms which come in two shapes, Universal .... for most nail shapes and oval for nails with a naturally deep C curve or nails with a high hyponychium....EZ Flow Geeks, please correct me if I am wrong here!

HTH

Thanks GiGi..Where is the best place to get Creative nail forms.

P.S> I enjoyed your page in Scratch this month.

Thanks

You can get these forms from Designer Nails Tel: 01132755719
I love the preformance forms .

Thanks so much Ruth...I just read the Feature in Scratch about you also...*well Done*

I was a hairdresser all my life (Steiner) and although I did manicuring as part of City and Guilds I have only trained as a nail Techie this year...but totally addicted!!

Any advice re: The smile line....i'm getting much better and am pretty good at application/preparation but still not 100% happy at my )...any advice appreciated!

Thanks

Debra

The best advise is found here.......... bless ya Samuel xxx
[thread=2734]Million Dollar Smiles![/thread]
This is also usefull if you are tipping instead of sculpting and then smiling XXX

A must read for smiling smile lines xxxx

Brilliant....Thanx )))))))))))))) xxxxx

why were on the subject of sculpting...........

i had a client in yesterday that had short bitten nails
an wanted a gel overlay this i thought was pointless as she didnt have any length
so after reading the tutorials on beauty pro site
which i thought were fantastic and very good close up shots

there i was chatting away to my client saying i think you ought to try have some sculpted tips on to give you extra length....... (deep down inside i was panicing thinking what am i saying here ....... ive only had little practise at this...lol
ut i dived straight in when she said yeh ill give it ago
and i must say i just did as it said on this tutoiral and the results where fantastic
i went to take a pic but my camera batteries were dead i was gutted.

the best bit was putting the gel on nail then over the skin curing it
and then fitting the form underneath
as explained in the tutorial it really makes sense.......... maybe my typing doesnt lol...

but hey those of you that are struggling and havnt seen anna's tutorial it maybe worth having a look it sure helped me
i think it was ruth that advised me to check annas tutorials out ( correct me if im wrong )

but way hey thumbs up for ruth for being so dam helpful an anna for her lovely
tution skils !

boy this site is fab an so helpful ! ! !

Latest posts

Back