Capping the nails.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pinkies101

Reaction score
Hi All

When doing NNO on some clients they sometimes come in a say that they keep picking the nails underneath. That they are coming away from the acrylic underneath.

Ive heard about capping but im not sure exactly how to do this, any help would be appreciated thanks xx

Are you using gel or l&p?

If its gel then capping is bringing the gel over the top of the free edge to sort of 'seal' it in.

You may get the odd client (I have one :mad:) who just doesn't like the appearance of the nail growing underneith so decided she would remedy this herself using a pair of nail clippers, tweezers and nail scissors.
She didn't tell me until weeks of wondering why there was such weird lifting from the free edge that none of my other clients had. When I finally did find out I told her in a round about fashion that obviously there was nothing I could do to stop the nails growing for two weeks inbetween visits and therefore she should just get over it and leave them alone!!!!
I am actually yet to find a member of the public who will walk up to someones nails and wish to inspect the underside immediatly!!

So it may not be something you are causing, it may be your client, xx

Using L and P.

Yep I have one client who told me the other day that she tweezes the underneath of her nail!!!

I just get the odd few, always with square shaped nails that seem to get it coming away just at the corners, I know for a fact that these clients to tend to play with it, when it comes away and making it worse!but want to know how to stop it in the first place! xx

Use a form to slightly extend the nail (by 1 or 2 mm), this will cap the nail and should hopefully stop their picking.

I had this problem too, and read a tip on this site which has worked for me - most of the time. By the way I use L&P only.

When you shape the free edge of the nail, finish the shape then take a 'thin' file - I use a creative kanga board (240 grit) and 'firm' (it doesn't flex when you apply pressure and isn't squishy in the middle).
With this file angle it underneath the free edge. The file will be almost horizontal.

You will not change the finished shape of the nail, which you have just created, you will be narrowing all edges of the natural nail, thus leaving a 'ledge' of product all the way around.
This effectively 'caps' the edges.

One other thing, the natural nail pulls away because it continually swells and shrinks as it gets wet and then dries. Get your clients to use cuticle oil under the free edge, this keeps the exposed natural nail moisturised, reducing the amount of shrink and swell!!! giving the acrylic the best chance of staying in contact.

Wow, that's brilliant advice Alialy, I have never heard either of those remedies before :hug:

Use a form to slightly extend the nail (by 1 or 2 mm), this will cap the nail and should hopefully stop their picking.

This is exactly what I do as it ensure you are not missing a bit too xxx

Latest posts

Back