Car insurance

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandywine

Reaction score
I have found myself in the position of needing to have car insurance in my own name at 36 years old. Although I have never had an accident (touch wood!), have no points or parking fines etc drive a 9 year old diesal car and have been driving for 19 years I am finding it difficult to get car insurance.

Various companys wont even insure me and the one that will (who I have been with for some years with my husband) want nearly £600:eek:, thats nearly double what it was for the two of us!

This is because I have always been on my husbands insurance and although it can be seen I haven't claimed anything I dont have my own no claims bonus. Has anyone else been in this position and did you find a company who were helpful?

Hi Faye

I experienced the very same thing a few years back.

Unfortunately, it's primarily because you are deemed to be "high risk" and have no accrued "no claims bonus". Newly passed drivers will face exactly the same situation when they seek insurance cover.

As a named driver you do not earn anything independently, even if you've had no accidents, so you are in effect a "new driver" iykwim.

I'm probably stating the obvious by suggesting you use comparison websites such as Compare the Market and Go Compare, to see which company will give you the insurance cover you require at the lowest possible price.

HTHs you a little ... Good luck :hug: xx

Have you tried Liverpool Victoria? Failing that, ask your current insurance if they would consider releasing your no claims - even 12 months of it will do you a massive favour :)

£600 is not that bad though, what car do you drive and how old? new drivers are being quoted into the thousands!

Anyway, have you added your husband to your policy, sometimes that can bring it down. Also, insurance has gone up this year, mine went up £70 and I have 14 years no claims, because whenever someone has a crash they claim for injuries even if they aren't injured. This has a knock on effect for everyone!

£600 is not that bad though, what car do you drive and how old? new drivers are being quoted into the thousands!

Anyway, have you added your husband to your policy, sometimes that can bring it down. Also, insurance has gone up this year, mine went up £70 and I have 14 years no claims, because whenever someone has a crash they claim for injuries even if they aren't injured. This has a knock on effect for everyone!

I'm afraid I have to agree with smooth - £600 isn't that bad and I guess you have to start somewhere to build up your own no claims bonus. I have been paying £500 pa and I'm 5 years older than you with full no claims (I think that's 65% although I could be wrong.) My car was about 12 years old.

I have heard that older cars are more expensive to insure... because they're more expensive to fix or more likely to be written off in an accident. Someone who knows about these things may be able confirm.

Although thinking about it... I have just changed my car from a group 18 to a group 5(and it's a new car under 6 months old) and the premium has only gone down about £5 pm so my theory is looking dodgy!

Just one (two!) things spring to mind - I have heard that some insurers will give you some no claims in your position. (Direct Line?) and / or some insurers will give you an introductory offer on your first insurance.

Good luck!

Perhaps I was being unrealistic then. I just thought it seemed a huge jump to go from £350 for two people to £600 for one. I can't add husband as he has "been away on his toes" as they say, which is why I'm now looking to be insured on my own. Not really the time I needed to be paying out extra on car insurence, but there you go.:irked:

I've been driving (and buying insurance) for 25 years and I still can't work it out. From 2006 to 2008, I drove a brand new 3 Series petrol BMW, when I changed it for a year old diesel Ford Focus my insurance stayed the same despite it being a lower value car and a lower insurance group. I moved from the London suburbs to a Yorkshire village and STILL it costs the same. I think they make it up as they go along.

That aside, I'm paying in the region of £500 fully comp on a 3 year old Focus and I have maximum no claims discount, so I agree with the others that £600 doesn't sound too bad... (although I do have 9 points on my licence which is probably not helping me much... ooops)

Sounds like I got a good deal on my insurance then.... I pay about £385 for a 2 yr old Golf TD GTI plus I have 6 points (I know, I know, slap my hand!). It's through Sheila's Wheels.

What I would suggest though, that which ever company you go through, make sure you pay the extra for legal expenses. This is something I've not always bothered with but fortunately I did this time round as I got rear-ended in my car a couple of months ago & am now soooo glad the insurance peeps are dealing with it all.

As stated above, Direct Line is very good as is TESCO VALUE INSURANCE! lol yes VALUE INSURaNCE!! xx

Latest posts

Back