Card payments for new venture - which ones do people recommend

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikki Martin

Reaction score
Hi,

I am now going to rent a room (for beauty) in a salon. I am looking into a card reader as think this would be good way to go as most people don't carry cash now. Has anyone got any helpful advice as to which company is good. I won't be taking huge amounts to start with so am interested on peoples feedback as some have charges for the machine some don't and not sure what to do or to go with?

Thanks x

I would be interested in this too, currently I use a payleven card machine however it's 2.75% per transaction which does add up so I'm currently spending around £40 a month on card transactions, around half of my clients use the facility, however when it comes to my account visually seeing the breakdown of each transaction and the charge it's not so easy to decipher , you don't get a break down of what ransactions have been lumped together and it doesn't make easy reading for the accountant X

I have izettle.. Plugs into your phone. I change my customers (for nails an extra £1) there is a cash machine next door to the shop... And they would rather pay £1 than go next door! Lol. Obviously if your doing a £50 transaction you may need to charge more.. If they are that bothered they will get cash... X

i use worldpay zinc paid for the mobile terminal £30 odd pounds as its on offer and usually pay £6-8 on £700plus going in hope ive helped heres a link https://www.worldpayzinc.com/

As above, I use iZettle. I don't however charge the client for its use. I think most of my clients wouldn't like to be charged for it.

I use PayPal card machine as its instant where as the izettle u have to wait 3 working days to clear and being mobile I need my money ASAP! They all pretty much work the same and PayPal cost is same as izettle x

I'm mobile and I use Izettle. I charge my clients to cover the charges. I figure why should I have to pay the charges for their convenience? If they don't want to pay the charges they can pay cash but no one has minded at all and I've been using it over a year. If they don't want to pay the extra to cover the charges they can get cash.

I'm mobile and I use Izettle. I charge my clients to cover the charges. I figure why should I have to pay the charges for their convenience? If they don't want to pay the charges they can pay cash but no one has minded at all and I've been using it over a year. If they don't want to pay the extra to cover the charges they can get cash.
Because you're meant to make it easy for clients to spend money with you. Not more difficult. Specially as with the right card terminal you shouldn't be paying more than 20p. If someone charges me to use my card they don't value my custom so I go elsewhere.

I use PayPal card machine as its instant where as the izettle u have to wait 3 working days to clear and being mobile I need my money ASAP! They all pretty much work the same and PayPal cost is same as izettle x
Hi Blonde8, I've read that PayPal readers are the same % as izettle but they also charge an extra 20p on top as well as the %. How are you finding this? x

I use izettle too. It's 2.75%. My money is in my bank the next day though which is great. Oh and I don't charge my customers to use it x

I use izettle too. It's 2.75%. My money is in my bank the next day though which is great. Oh and I don't charge my customers to use it x
Hi Flawless, is your money always in your account the next day?
Do you think it's quicker to go in with certain bank accounts?
X

Because you're meant to make it easy for clients to spend money with you. Not more difficult. Specially as with the right card terminal you shouldn't be paying more than 20p. If someone charges me to use my card they don't value my custom so I go elsewhere.
It is easy for them to spend money with me, they have the choice of cash or if they don't want the hassle of getting cash out or want to add something last minute and don't have enough cash they can pay by card if they want. Everyone has been very impressed by the fact I even have a card machine for their convenience as I'm mobile and they didn't expect to have the option of a card payment with a mobile therapist. All my clients are happy to pay the extra (hardly anything, literally just to cover the costs) for the convenience of paying by card.

Hi Flawless, is your money always in your account the next day?
Do you think it's quicker to go in with certain bank accounts?
X

It's only recently I've been paying attention because I was surprised at how quickly it was going through but the last few months have been the next day.

I'm not sure about accounts but I'm with Halifax x

I use izettle, I usually get my money in the bank in 2-3 days, it's pretty quick, charges up on the computer so no batteries, I don't charge customers but it's only a few pence per transaction.

Latest posts

Back