Career/business advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi all.
I work full time in a job that gives me no satisfaction. . . I want out!!
I've always been interested in beauty therapy and qualified in eye lashes and hair extensions. And only do friends and family so far.
I want to start my NVQ2 at the London school of beauty and makeup- but I'm scared. What if it doesn't work out!
I also enjoy hair, main reason for this is because I have a friend who is mobile and she's always busy and has a great social buzz around her and her job. I want this!
Could I do both?
Which should I jump into first?
I'm 27 and need to upkeep my home and the future so quitting my job ATM is a No no. However I would like to be my own boss and do what I'm interested in and be flexible for when I start to think about babies!
Later in life teaching in the industry would suit me.
Shall I just take the plunge?
If so recommendations / advice and success stories would be lovely to hear!

Thanks x

Hi,
How exciting that you've found your vocation!

I think go for it, especially if you can fit your training in around your day job until you're set up and got some clients under your belt.

A career in the hair and beauty industry means you will always have a 'trade'. I have worked in the beauty industry for over 20 years and I've never found myself out of work, even when I was bringing up my sons as a lone parent. I always managed to find a way to make it work.

The only thing to bear in mind is that you will need some financial backing to get you started. I know that a lot of therapists (myself included) seriously underestimated the costs that are involved in setting up on your own.

I wish you lots of luck, I have no doubt you'll do great!

Zara :)

Hi yea you should i do a bit of everything from tans lashes hairdressing hair extensions and other beauty treatments means youll always be kept busy. I went self employed when i was 18 thinking i would never last and be as busy and what i am now and ive been self employed for nearly 5years now and ive just got my teaching qualification also so ive got something to fall back on later on in life xx

I think sometimes it's taking the leap that's the scary thing! Maybe do treatments part time around work and gradually increase beauty and decrease your other job. Xxx

Am a mobile hairdresser i have been for about 2 years but have a part time job in retail i use to do 4 shifts to start with but have cut down to 2 i am busy with my hair and sometimes have to work 7 days a week in december with both jobs and gradually down to 1 shift by this december i just like it there as a security blanket as the company in my retail job has a really good sick policy touch wood i will bever have to use and am younge so in a few years time when i want kids it will pay my maternity leave also if u have a quite weeks like in jan i can pick up and extra shift 9 times out of 10 they are really good to me and know my hairdressing is my passion so if u get a good company u can have 2 jobs xx

I'm a mobile massage and beauty therapist. I took my qualifications with the aim to be work part time on a mobile business in addition to my 2.5 day a week job.
Sadly I was faced with redundancy and could only find a 5 day a week Job as a teaching assistant which I hated.
About 5 months ago I gave myself a good talking to and decided i couldn't let all those qualifications go to waste so I started doing clients any available time I could (mainly gained via Facebook and word of mouth) .
I've managed to do ok enough for me to be confident to reduce my work hours (still in a school but a different one in a slightly different role) . I'm so glad I took the plunge even though it's been hard. Xxx

The fact your living in London is a big plus. Have you thought of joining an agency while you build your own client base? the hours tend to be flexible and it will help with experience, best of luck

Latest posts

Back